One week postop. Thoughts and reflections.

Options
weeziebeth
weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
Surgery was last Tuesday. Everything went well and I was in recovery by a little after 10 am. At least thats what they tell me-I was basically OUT the entire day. I was not expecting to be so out of commission all day long-from everything I had read, I expected to be up and walking pretty soon after surgery-maybe not a ball of fire, but up and around pretty soon at least. What I remember from that day is waking periodically, wanting to interact with my environment, but being unable to do so. I finally woke up enough to get out of bed to try to use the restroom around 4pm and took a very short, very shaky walk in the hall.

Things went well from there-walking the halls by that night, up and out of bed when the surgical fellow rounded the next morning-I was working on a final paper for the semester (poor time management on my part). Pain was not bad overall, a constant low-level of nausea the first 24 hours but nothing that kept me from sipping, and gas pain in my shoulders that is better but still noticeable in my left shoulder. Home later that day.

I have been focused on staying hydrated and have been doing well. I've been walking daily since coming home and am going about 2 miles now-not fast but getting it done. It's odd to me to not have any feelings of physical hunger and to have pretty good energy on basically NO nutritional intake (clears for 1st week postop). But I'll take it! Moving to full liquids today-never thought I'd look forward to cream of anything soup but boy howdy am I!

Scheduled myself for about 3 weeks off from work and, while I know that is a wise plan, I am going stir crazy and keep thinking going back sometime next week wouldn't be bad. This is the first time in 6 years that I have been off from work and haven't had anything pressing-I've had homework/schoolwork during every vacation. I know-its the holidays and I should be able to find plenty to occupy myself and that's true, but its very hard to mentally justify this much down time (one more thing to work through).

Well, that's all for now-not really exciting or illuminating, but felt the need to put it down in writing. Blessings….

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery! It sounds like you are doing great. Take it easy and be patient with yourself as you recover. Good luck!!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are doing great. I went back after 2 weeks but I have a desk job, so nothing strenuous to my body. If you can take the extra week, go ahead. This is the start of you making yourself a priority.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Take the time off to enjoy the holidays and to take care of you!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everything went well with no complications. You will feel progressively better over the next couple of weeks. Focus on water and mobility and you will get there in no time!
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So glade to hear your doing so well
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So glad things went well for you. It can be hard to slow down-- I know too often I associate my worth with what i have accomplished---I have been actively practicing reminding myself I need do nothing but BE. Hard lesson to get in my thick skull. :) Hope your recovery continues to go well and that you can find peacefulness and rest in not doing.