Stupid question about weight gain =)

Options
Niff314
Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
Ok, so be gentle. =)

I've been doing crossfit for two weeks as well as my usual walking 5miles/day and despite being in a calorie deficit, I've gained 4 pounds in two weeks. I realize some of this might be water retention, but is it normal to gain weight when beginning crossfit?

Thanks!

Replies

• ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much fat to lose I think its normal to gain weight. I was 62 kgs when I started crossfit about 5 months ago and now I am close to 66kgs with heaps of muscle definition! If you are eating to support your activity you will definitely gain muscle, therefore some kgs/pounds. I hope that helps :smile:
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It does, yes. Unfortunately I'm about 40lbs overweight so I do have a bit to lose, which is why this is so frustrating. =(
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Totally get how that would be frustrating. I would stay away from the scales for a month or so and check back in then.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Also, check back with how your clothes fit after a month. I've found that my weight has increased or held steady since starting CrossFit, but I've gotten leaner and/or have gone down a size. But as someone who has struggled with weight for most of his life, its very hard not to look at that number on the scale. **Good Luck!!!**
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    niffiner1 wrote: »
    Ok, so be gentle. =)

I've been doing crossfit for two weeks as well as my usual walking 5miles/day and despite being in a calorie deficit, I've gained 4 pounds in two weeks. I realize some of this might be water retention, but is it normal to gain weight when beginning crossfit?

Thanks!

I think everyone is a bit different. I lost 20 lbs immediately but my weight hasn't changed much since. My body composition is radically different so i didn't mind that much but I'm finally turning the focus onto maintaining muscle and losing the extra 40lbs of fat I'm carrying.

One, because I want to look better. Two, because I know it will make me dramatically better at Crossfit.

• gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you've never really done intense intervals and/or weight lifting before, you could definitely see some water retention. I started eating more when I started CF (because I was hungry!) and my weight stayed the same and I did not get any leaner. But I had been lifting intensely before doing CF so it wasn't a massive activity change like it is for many people.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have not gained any weight but I have also not lost any weight. I am the same on the scales as I was when I started in October 2013. However, my body fat is down approximately 10%. I still wear the same pants (kinda) but where my gut used to hang over the waist, now the waist is loose and the thighs are too tight from my giant quads. I have begun to look much more hourglass because the top of my body has widened (shoulders, lats, traps) and my quads are bigger (my butt got smaller even with all the squatting). So while my clothes and the scale are the same, everyone says I look totally different. I think it's a very individual thing on how your body will react to CF.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^very true. My butt has grown doing Crossfit. The measurement across the hips is up almost 2 inches in a year and a half. Since I had no *kitten* before, this is good stuff.

I've also noticed that as I gained some weight over the holidays that I don't carry it quite the same way as I did before. Still going to lock down the diet the next two weeks to get back to even before Christmas, but still it's interesting to see the way your body changes.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Happens to me ALL THE TIME. I tend to gain every time I up my exercise routine, even if I've increased my deficit. It drives me batty, but one of my friends (who was with me every day last time this happened, and knows the workout well) pointed out that my muscles may be holding water because they need to repair themselves.

Non-scale measurements really help until your body composition becomes more evident and/or the scale moves the other way.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would get really bloated from all of the water retention and muscle fatigue. Monitor your sodium and stay the course! It will all even out eventually.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I agree it is water retention. The muscles will often pull in water after intense exercise. If you make sure you’re drinking plenty of water, this will settle down after a few weeks.

That said, the scale is not your friend. It is a single data point and not nearly the best one (especially for a crossfitter). Take measurements of your upper arms, upper legs, waist, hips, and chest. You’ll likely see your measurements go down in areas where you carry fat and go up in the other areas.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^I could not agree more Allan. I take neck, upper arms, waist at belly button, hips and thighs. If the scale is stubborn but those measurements are moving the way I want, I'm totally fine with it.