Junior Nursing student... and up 15 lbs!

Options
rosy_rsls
rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
So how does this happen?? I mean aside from the constant stress, the chocolate, the coffee, the snacks and the frequent good job treats?? How did i gain so much?? Anyone else feel this way? In a matter of 1.5 semesters i have gone up 15 lbs... so summer is near and i need to get back into my old clothes! Any suggestions? How are you doing it?

Replies

• heathsc34
    heathsc34 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I just joined and I know you posted a while back but I wanted to let you know that I went through the same thing. I actually gained more than 15lbs with the late night eating and 12hr clinical shifts which included fast food because it took an hour to get to my clinical sites and an hourr to get home.

After nursing school, I was able to eliminate a lot of stress. I wasn't eating so late or on the run. I started to meal prep and my goal was to get in the gym twice a week. After that, I bumped it up a day so that it was three days a week and then eventually four.

Pack yourself something healthy snacks and try try try to avoid all of the sugary snacks that we nurses like to share with one another.

Good luck on your nursing studies and weight loss. :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    heathsc34 wrote: »
    Hi! I just joined and I know you posted a while back but I wanted to let you know that I went through the same thing. I actually gained more than 15lbs with the late night eating and 12hr clinical shifts which included fast food because it took an hour to get to my clinical sites and an hourr to get home.

After nursing school, I was able to eliminate a lot of stress. I wasn't eating so late or on the run. I started to meal prep and my goal was to get in the gym twice a week. After that, I bumped it up a day so that it was three days a week and then eventually four.

Pack yourself something healthy snacks and try try try to avoid all of the sugary snacks that we nurses like to share with one another.

Good luck on your nursing studies and weight loss. :)

This was me, as well. I had a commute, and I was a single parent juggling clinicals, tests, and then shifts when I finally got a job. I gained OVER 20 lbs.. I've since lost a bit more than half of that, but it's taken me being less stressed, focusing on meal planning, and scheduling time in the gym or in Crossfit classes.. And I've been employed for over 8 months now before it happened. Don't be too hard on yourself, nursing school SUCKS, and it takes a lot out of you.