Playing Evil

Options
sofaking6
sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
I always play my characters to be the most 'good' they can be. I read some comments in this group about playing at least one time through as an evil character. I would like to try this out but I swear it makes me feel too guilty. Am I insane?

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    nope. i feel that way sometimes. though it really depends on the game/story. Some games I just feel like a complete horrible person playing evil, while others I'll evil the hell out of it. For instance, I played Sleeping Dogs as much of a good cop as I could, but the Infamous games I played evil.

Hopefully games will start taking a more Witcher-y approach with coming games. Games that have a "good/evil" bar really don't let you make choices at each turn so much as they let you pick ahead of time what you want to do. This is accentuated when they give you rewards/unlocks for being more on either side.

I really liked how in The Witcher series everything is morally grey. It really makes you think about each choice you make instead of hunting for the "red" or "blue" choices to push that bar further.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    That sounds cool, maybe a good place to get used to making the ambiguous choices.
  • PowerAJS
    PowerAJS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can never get myself to play the light side in any of the Star Wars games. I'm sorry, but I'd rather fry someone with lightning than push them really hard.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It depends on the game really. I mostly want to play the good one, but when it comes to Skyrim I go as evil as I can :D
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    For games like Dragon Age or Skyrim I usually go good fighter first, then evil mage on the second run through. Dragon Age in particular gives you a lot of new material when you do this.
  • jesseg1989
    jesseg1989 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can never go full evil in a game if given the option, but if given the choice to kill off a character that I really despise then yeah, I will totally take it no matter if it gives me good or evil points. A specific part in Mass Effect 3 involving Kai Leng and Shepard's omni blade would be an example lol.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you're insane then so am I! I hate playing characters as evil. I tried doing that in Skyrim for a while but it was making me feel so bad for my victims. Decided my character was going to have a crisis after a companion died. He turned all righteous. :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I play "clean" if I'm being serious and only "evil" when goofing off to see what happens.
    It's usually not the best way to play; too many repercussions.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    god it so depends on the game and how evil the actions are. i guess i play most of my characters to be more chaotic neutral. there are certain characters i just can't bring myself to hurt, so my protagonists care about their own and *kitten* the rest. for example, if i'm playing mass effect, i might be playing a renegade shepard, but even then she's never going to do something to harm her own crew and loved ones intentionally. i'm never going to be the *kitten* who shoots mordin. or like right now i'm playing the wolf among us, executing brutal interrogation tactics and literally ripping a guy's arm off in one moment and gently supporting traumatized children in the next. o:)
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    you put a lot of yourself in your character. nothing wrong with that. i love playing both sides - especially star wars. It is interesting to see multiple sides of a story.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've never played evil. I always play the straight forward good guy route and intend to go back and play evil to see the outcome but i get caught by video game ADD and usually move on to the next game. :#
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Yeah I have actually never even started a game a second time (except Skyrim bc I got a bug on a main quest).
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I tend to switch up and go evil 99% of the time after I play a good guy. 1st Playthrough = Saint, 2nd Playthrough = Epitomy of evil but will do one good deed to tell myself there is someone worse then me in this game universe haha.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas "evil" is particularly fun.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Playing Mass Effect as a renegade is a good middle ground. It's not a goody two shoes but it's definitely not evil. Just kinda bad *kitten*, bully, bending the rules type but not evil
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I bought Fallout 3 just before DA:I came out so I will definitely give the evil option a chance there.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Haven't brought myself to go evil yet. Keep saying I'm going to do it, just for the fun, then can't live with myself. :D
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with you. Certain games I feel terrible about playing renegade. Jade Empire is a good example, old game but man the evil path is HARSH. In Dragon Age I have trouble being mean to my companions, especially if I like them. In fact the only companion I was ever mean to and booted from my group was Sera. Gah, so annoying that one. No regrets.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    Haven't brought myself to go evil yet. Keep saying I'm going to do it, just for the fun, then can't live with myself. :D

Same here. Plus, I am actually evil when driving so I have that to fall back on.

• bostonwolf
    Options
    Nothing wrong with you. Certain games I feel terrible about playing renegade. Jade Empire is a good example, old game but man the evil path is HARSH. In Dragon Age I have trouble being mean to my companions, especially if I like them. In fact the only companion I was ever mean to and booted from my group was Sera. Gah, so annoying that one. No regrets.

I'm trying to get in her pants so I need to keep her around for a bit longer :)