Kiawah Half Marathon - 2 Years Older, 9 Pounds Lighter, 6 Minutes Faster

Options
phil230532
phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
I ran my goal race this past Saturday and compared the results to the same race two years ago. I have not reached my goal weight yet but being 9 pounds lighter than at this race 2 years ago resulted in a 6 minute faster time. I keep an Exel diary of all my races, time, weather, weight, etc. The course was the same and the weather on this shaded course was fairly close. I then got to watch my daughter run a marathon personal best. I think I need to find another goal race about a month out and keep working on the weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congrats, sounds like a great race for you!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    A little further out in time than you are asking; but you've got the Hilton Head half and full marathon on February 7th and the Myrtle Beach half and full marathon on Valentine's Day (2/14). Both are flat courses (though Hilton Head is not as flat as Kiawah because you have the bridge crossing at Broad Creek and the long slight incline of the Cross Island Expressay back to Jarvis Park).

I am already registered for Myrtle Beach and will be registering for Hilton Head shortly. I ran the Hilton Head Inaugural Marathon last year (in the cold rain from mile-3 until mile-22).
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Charleston (SC) has a similar (flat) marathon and half marathon January 17th. My wife and I are registered for the half. It'll be the first time either has run it. We also enjoyed Kiawah HM last Saturday. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Charleston full in Jan. Hoping for good weather!
  • phil230532
    Options
    Oh yeah. These all sound like good choices.
  • phil230532
    Options
    Also, thanks. Three of us had good runs.
  • hiker_chick
    hiker_chick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »
    A little further out in time than you are asking; but you've got the Hilton Head half and full marathon on February 7th and the Myrtle Beach half and full marathon on Valentine's Day (2/14). Both are flat courses (though Hilton Head is not as flat as Kiawah because you have the bridge crossing at Broad Creek and the long slight incline of the Cross Island Expressay back to Jarvis Park).

I am already registered for Myrtle Beach and will be registering for Hilton Head shortly. I ran the Hilton Head Inaugural Marathon last year (in the cold rain from mile-3 until mile-22).

I'm running the Myrtle Beach Marathon too! How is it? Have you done it before?
  • phil230532
    Options
    My daughter ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon last year and we drove to about 4 different check points on the course to see her. It is flat. There was a long stretch on Ocean boulevard where the hotels provided shade. A little windy at times when you were close to the ocean. Nice finishing area. Well organized. She did well and we liked it. There was no half marathon, but around 7 pm the night before, they have a great 5k that my wife and I did that finishes where the marathon does. It goes around the popular Broadway at the Beach and it is lined with cheering spectators, pretty good for a 5k.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the MB marathon before. I ran the MB mini (half) in October which follows a similar route and except for the crowding in the first mile, it was nice to run. But if that course is any indication, it should be a great course. There is always an issue on the weather and the winds, but you play the odds and hope for normal temperatures and great winter beach weather. The ice storms last year made that a bit thready.

This year there is a half-marathon that follows the full course for the first 11+ miles before turning back to the start at the stadium. There is a 5K race the night before. If I wasn't running the full on Saturday, I would have run the 5K on Friday night.

I had forgotten about the Charleston marathon and had given that some thought as well but decided I wanted a little more downtime between the challenging marathon in November and my next attempt.
  • phil230532
    Options
    I was in error. As you say, there is also a half marathon at MB. Daughter is trying to decide if she will be recovered from Kiawah to do another full. If so, I will do the half.