Any opinions: Delaware v. Gettysburg Marathon?

Options
sarahz5
sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
My friend and I are trying to choose a spring marathon. It will be my first (not hers).

Delaware Marathon
http://www.delawaremarathon.org
May 10, 2015

or

Gettysburg North South Marathon
http://www.gettysburgnorthsouthmarathon.com
April 26, 2015

We live in South Jersey. She has an outside hope of BQing, I do not. We have ruled out some faster marathons close to us based on time of year, weather, altitude, extreme downhill, etc. We were going to do Ocean Drive but the wind at the shore in March is too much of a factor. We train hills. We would have to drive several hours to Gettysburg and would not have our family with us. We would probably get a hotel room Saturday night, race Sunday, and take a nap afterwards on Sunday before driving home. Delaware our husbands could drive us. I think we are just both drawn to Gettysburg a little more for the scenery, etc.

Anyone done either or have an opinion?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I ran the Delaware Marathon this past spring. I won't do it again. Here's why.

It's hillier than you think it is. The profile doesn't really give you an idication of of just how hilly. There appears to be one big climb, but at the top of that it's rolling hills before coming back down.

It's a full double loop course, so you get to enjoy those hills twice. You also get to see the boring parts twice, like the boring city streets.

Traffic control wasn't great. I nearly got hit by a car on the first loop when a cop let a bunch of cars cross as I was approaching (running 7:15s, so not like I was poking along).

The start/finish/transition area wasn't way too complicated and twisty.

About 2/3 to 3/4 of the race is exposed to the elements and Wilmington can get warm in the spring as it did this past year. It was almost 70 at the start and mid 70s, sunny and humid by the time I finished.

I'm not saying this is a bad marathon, but I only run 1, maaaaybe 2, marathons per year and I want to be able to run good times. I had just run 3:10 at Baltimore the previous fall on a course that isn't flat by any stretch and I ran 3:24 at Delaware because of the course and the heat.

The good things.

There is plenty of parking. T
    The course was well supported by the volunteers.
    There was plenty of food and drinks at the end.
    You don't have to walk too far to get to the start or to the goodies when you are finished.
    The Wilmington waterfront park is a very pretty area. I enjoy racing on that part of the course.

Hope this helps.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I lived in the Philly area for a long time and that may date would worry me just due to the possibility of heat. I know one year I ran Broad Street in Philly may 7 and it was bad. The April date might be a bit safer weather wise, even though it's not that much different I guess.
  • sarahz5
    Options
    It's funny, those three weeks do make us feel a lot safer weather-wise. That is a factor too that has us leaning toward Getttysburg.

I appreciate your in-depth comments Carson, thanks!!
  • Run_for_my_life
    Run_for_my_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done the Gettysburg Blue vs Grey half in October twice. I know the courses aren't the same but there is some scenery on the October course, not too many hills but nothing to block wind or sun if there is any. For the one I did there wasn't a lot of crowd support...yeah there were people sitting on their porches and happy people at the water stops.
  • sarahz5
    Options
    We chose... the inaugural Coastal Delaware Running Festival Marathon! May 3. Probably all sorts of a bad idea but there are no reviews so we won't know until we get there. ;)
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    sarahz5 wrote: »
    We chose... the inaugural Coastal Delaware Running Festival Marathon! May 3. Probably all sorts of a bad idea but there are no reviews so we won't know until we get there. ;)

It will be flat, that's for sure.
  • sarahz5
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yep. They just posted the "elevation" chart - three "hills" of about 35 feet. :D All before mile 15... and then a very slight rise for the next 5-6 miles followed by a very slight decline into the finish. Pretty perfect. And unlike the Ocean Drive marathon we were considering, it's not a point to point, so even if it's windy at the shore that will only hurt us in one direction.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Yep. I grew up near there. Very familiar with the area. Should be a good place to run a good time.