Hair loss

Options
Anyone else have hair loss? I'm shedding all the time and can see my scalp. What have u done or what has helped?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Mine stopped when I started taking Metformin. Nothing else helped!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had your hormones checked? Hair loss is generally indicative of elevated testosterone, so anything to lower that will generally help.

The two most common ways are Metformin (lowers insulin, which in turns lowers testosterone, if the elevated T is caused by elevated insulin) and the birth control Yaz or its cousins (one of the active ingredients is an androgen antagonist). Your doctor may also (or instead) prescribe a progesterone cream (increases progesterone, which decreases the level of estrogen dominance).

You can also take Vitex, or Chaste Berry, which can help balance all of the hormones by increasing lutenizing hormone and progesterone (which decreases estrogen dominance, and testosterone decreases as a result, as it's no longer trying to compensate for the off-balance estrogen). There are also a number of herbs that can help balance hormones, but it's a good idea to talk to a qualified doctor or naturopath before trying the more complex herbal schedules, especially if you're taking other medications or supplements prescribed by your doctor (they may be herbs, but they can interact with things).
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been losing a ton of hair recently too. I've always lost a lot of hair but have noticed a marked difference in the last few months.

I'm treating my PCOS through herbal supplements through the care of a Naturopathic Doctor. Two months ago we switched from trying to reduce my testosterone to reducing my estrogen. Generally this new approach been working wonderfully, I even had a normal length cycle for the very first time in my life. However my hair loss has gotten worse rapidly.

I'm back to see my ND at the end of the month and will certainly bring it up. I seem to be going through more of a hair shed than a loss as a lot of mine does seem to be regrowing.
  • ShieldMaidenLeah
    ShieldMaidenLeah Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have noticed in the last two months my hair seems to be falling out. It has been freaking me out a real lot. I keep looking to see if I can see my scalp and I don't think I am at that level but the amount of hair I have been losing scares me.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons for hair loss, not just PCOS. Undereating can cause it due to lack of nutrients, as well as alopecia. I'd rule these out first, maybe.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm on Metformin and I struggle with hair loss too. I use herb infused coconut oil minutes before I shower. It has helped a little bit. But like the others said, when my diet is nutritious, the hair fall seems less
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons for hair loss, not just PCOS. Undereating can cause it due to lack of nutrients, as well as alopecia. I'd rule these out first, maybe.

My mind went first to PCOS-hormone-related causes, but this is right, too. Alopecia (areata) has a prevalence rate of only about 0.1-0.2% of the population, though, but it might be worth considering if you're getting bald spots in places other than the usual "male-patterned baldness" locations.

To correct my earlier statement -- elevated testosterone is generally the cause of "male-patterned" hair loss (which also carries the partial scientific name of alopecia -- androgenic alopecia -- though isn't as often referred to as alopecia and isn't generally what's referred to when someone uses the term "alopecia"). ie - starting from the back-top portion of the head. This is arguably one of the two most common causes of hair loss, particularly in women with PCOS, and even more so in women with insulin-resistant PCOS.

General hair loss/thinning is often due to lowered thyroid function, which is another common issue among women with PCOS. The thyroid function lowering may be caused by actual thyroid dysfunction (ie - Hashimoto's), or it may be caused by undereating (a common thing to see among women with PCOS, because it's often the only way to lose weight while still eating by USDA recommendations).

Again, though, I'd still make sure to get your hormone levels checked, that way you can see where you're at and start ruling out causes, especially if you're eating sufficient amounts of nutrient-dense food (and by "sufficient," I mean something closer to 1500-2000 calories than to 800-1000).