whats your normal food day like?

Options
id love to hear what you guys eat, mine seems so boring.
i mostly eat cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and soup or salad for dinner.

add me if you like :)

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Not much excitement here most days. 9.5 times out of 10 I eat oatmeal with chia seeds and ground flax; other additions vary on what I have around the house. I will usually eat a sweet potato at either lunch or dinner, yes, nearly every day just because I like them. I also have at least 1 banana a day on the fruit side, a lot of broccoli that is usually steamed. Yep...pretty boring, LOL!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    stalk people's diaries...mine is open :)

today i'm eating a chickpea salad...I've been doing not so good on the losing weight thing, but i'm hoping that I got back on track this week.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i've been trying to drink smoothies in the morning, but I really love making breakfast sandwiches.... but the way I make them they tend to be high in calories. :disappointed:
  • donote
    donote Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am usually Having a protein shake or few oat cakes with hummus for breakfast, legume(usually lentils) stew with some brown rice/soy chunks and some steamed mixed veggies,some times i add seitan (wheat gluten) or tofu and for evenings i have some shake or nice big salad with tahini. sure i dont have it every day but this is my favorite plan :smiley:
  • Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I everyone, I'm a new Vegan - I'm back on MFP to keep track of my nutrition and get some support and good ideas for meals. If you'd like to be "Pals" please send me a request. Thank you!!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This week's breakfast is the same everyday: 1/2c steel cut oats, topped w/ 3 oz non-dairy yogurt and 1/2 c fresh blueberries.

Yesterday's lunch was pear and lentil salad from the Happy Herbivore Light and Lean Cookbook, and I had that today, too. Monday I had Mediterranean Quinoa Salad from the same book.

Dinners this week were:Mon- baked potato topped w/ Happy Herbivore recipe Quick Queso, black beans, corn, lettuce, tomato, Tues- lentil bolognese over brown rice pasta with broccoli, Wed- vegan crap night...ha ha ha Vegan Grillers (burger) on Trader Joe's wheat bun with chao spicy pepper cheeze, oven fries, and roasted brussels sprouts. Tonight I'm going to a 5 course Vegan Wine dinner, so my food tracking will be out the window. Tomorrow I'll have leftovers for lunch, and Samosas Baked to Perfection from the China Study Cookbook.

I'm aldousmom on instagram if you need pics!
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I make over night oats for breakfast (usually 4 times a week) and add protein powder, flax and chia- also berries. I keep the amounts small so the calories total under 400. Sometimes I have a sweet potato with avocado (mashed) or spread avocado on toast, or make a green smoothie. I try to break it up and try not to have a smoothie every morning cause I eat more later if I restrict myself to smoothies (which I love). Lunch is sometimes sauteed veggies and rice or quinoa, dinner soup and roasted veggies, Snack vegan yogurt with fresh fruit...mashed banana with dehydrated chocolate peanut butter...rice cakes with eggplant dip. I try REALLY hard to eat a variety of thing or I get bored and eat way too much volume. Been vegan for almost 9 years, veg for almost 35...my whole adult life.
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty simple too. Oatmeal and fruit, and a green juice for breakfast. Green juice again as a snack. Lunch is normally a salad. And dinner is normally rice and beans, or rice and broccoli. I do sometimes get creative and make a tofu scramble, or potato soup.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Breakfast is usually homemade bread/PB&J, oatmeal or smoothies
    Lunch is typically a big salad with lots of goodies: nut yeast, seeds, couscous/rice/pasta/beans, homemade hummus, tahini dressing, lemon juice, mustard.
    Dinner varies, vegan pizza, tempeh sandwiches, tofu pad thai, homemade sushi, spring rolls, quesadillas/wraps...
  • TalGal1
    TalGal1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Seven months ago my college-aged son went gluten and dairy free in an attempt to mitigate acne. It worked wonders. Now he indicates he's going full vegan.

I'm trying to understand his regime .... primarily he seems to eat white rice, potatoes, and bananas and occasionally a green salad or other fruits. What kind program could he be trying to maintain? It seems totally void of protein or calcium. I'm worried.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is a sample menu with the breakdown of protein grams. You would be suprised at how much protein and calcium a person can get from a plant based meals.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

For calcium see:
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to see much calcium and protein I still get as a vegan. We really don't need as much protein as we think we do anyways--the RDA recommends about 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight at an ideal weight, and that has a pretty big safety allowance. The World Health Organization's findings (http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/who_trs_935_eng.pdf for the full study) show we need to only get about 5% of our calories from protein to avoid becoming deficient. I get significantly more than that, even on days when I don't eat any foods associated with high protein. I am usually well within the RDA recommendations. It is very, very difficult to be protein deficient if you are eating an adequate amount of calories. The websites carriecarrio recommended are great at breaking things down.
  • TalGal1
    TalGal1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the websites you recommended.
  • qxana1969
    qxana1969 Posts: 9,330 Member
    Options
    There are some amazing and simple recipes on the web. Just the other night I made this spicy "creamy" pasta with kale - cashews and almond milk were the secret for the creaminess - the pot was left empty and my non-veg friends were impressed. I would agree that it is easy to eat the same thing because of convenience and comfort. For me, I have to try to add variety because I'll quickly grow bored.

Best of luck and feel free to friend me.

Amy
  • jhboise
    jhboise Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mornings are either a green smoothie with blueberries (more like a blue smoothie) or oatmeal or muesli with almond milk or soy yogurt. Lunches tend to be salads (or a green smoothie if I had cereal for breakfast). Dinners: often soup or a veggie stew, veggies with pasta, Indian curries, stir fries with seitan, roasted veggies . . . lots of variety in there. Just having a vegetarian Indian cookbook helps a LOT, but I also like to browse through vegan cookbooks & websites for new ideas.

Janet
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually porridge (winter) or overnight oats (summer), lunch is usually wholemeal bread with peanut butter, some dried fruit and nuts with a couple of biscuits, but evening meal varies a lot - in winter may be vegan sausage, quinoa and veg, or veg/pulse casserole, vegan shepherds pie, sweet and sour stir-fry, avocado walnut and lemon pasta, spicy bean burger with potato wedges and veg, buckwheat and fig risotto, spag bol, stuffed peppers and baked potato, mac 'cheese', broccoli tomato and tofu cannelloni, home-made pizza with roast butternut squash and red onions, loads of recipes online ...
  • vitamindesi
    vitamindesi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'll usually have oatmeal or toast with PB for breakfast, I'll have pasta or something for lunch, and snack on fruit like oranges or bananas for breakfast and then dinner will be some sauteed vegetables and a salad. and then I typically have popcorn after that since I can't resist it ever.
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A big smoothie (banana based) for breakfast, either a big salad with home made potato wedges or a large green smoothie for lunch and generally a cooked dinner which can be anything from pizza, burger, pasta, rice, potatoes with a heaping of roasted veg :)
  • luminousbluecrystal
    Options
    I am a high raw vegan, so I mostly eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I start my day with a smoothie, lunch is often a salad or sometimes a cup of soup, dinner is usually a raw pesto & zucchini noodles, or raw curry and zucchini noodles, or there is delicious raw thai kelp noodle dish that I am in love with. Yum :-)
    I am looking for vegan friends!!