Question for Experienced Sleevers

Options
Only 8 days post op, but child bride and I were discussing the diet progression. She asked when I would tolerate lettuce type salads. I can't find anything in Doc's instructions. How long after solid food should one wait before trying to tackle salad? Thanks for your insights.

Replies

• jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started fresh veggies at about the 5 week mark with no problems. I know of one person who tried it earlier and they ended up tossing it back up. I think she was 3-4 weeks post op.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with salads...I personally would wait for at least a few weeks - even then, start SLOW!!! Sometimes the raw veggies can cause gas, which as I'm sure you know can be very uncomfortable for a new sleeve! I still (1 year out) struggle with salad, the lettuce is "bulky" and seems to take up a lot of space which I have reserved for protein, protein, protein! I will get a small salad with grilled chicken on it and make sure the chicken is the first thing to be eaten with a small amount of the lettuce...there is always leftover! Anyway, this is MY suggestion, I would check with your doctor/dietitian before giving it a try!
  • abarnes500
    Options
    Thanks guys. I still have 6 days of liquids left so its really not a big issue. Thankfully, I am dropping pounds much quicker than I ever imagined so varying off the plan is not an option!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with salads...I personally would wait for at least a few weeks - even then, start SLOW!!! Sometimes the raw veggies can cause gas, which as I'm sure you know can be very uncomfortable for a new sleeve! I still (1 year out) struggle with salad, the lettuce is "bulky" and seems to take up a lot of space which I have reserved for protein, protein, protein! I will get a small salad with grilled chicken on it and make sure the chicken is the first thing to be eaten with a small amount of the lettuce...there is always leftover! Anyway, this is MY suggestion, I would check with your doctor/dietitian before giving it a try!

Agreed. This advice matches what I was told by my team. You are going to have trouble getting in enough protein and calories to begin with, and you won't have enough belly volume to accomodate raw veggies. Honestly, I am 6 months post-op, and I eat very few raw veggies at this point.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens like lettuce and spinach can cause probelms before you are completely healed. Stay away for a few months, think of your staple line and how lettuce gets stuck in your teeth.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Agreed. This advice matches what I was told by my team. You are going to have trouble getting in enough protein and calories to begin with, and you won't have enough belly volume to accomodate raw veggies. Honestly, I am 6 months post-op, and I eat very few raw veggies at this point. [/quote]

I am seven month post-op and I also eat very, very few raw veggies and fruits. I just don't have room for them.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wait and ask your doctor. I am 3.5 years out and like shoppinglady will eat the protein first and then work on the lettuce. But lettuce really fills me and I stay full feeling for a long time afterwards too.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I recently met w/the NUT for my 1 mo post and I was told no lettuce until at least 3 mos out. She said at that point to do the light lettuce w/out too much for strings to it, like iceberg. My first thought was that iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value so it would be a waste of stomach space for me to eat that.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Prob at least 5 wks.....After protein!! raw veg extremely filling!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6 weeks out and other than green beans I've hardly tried vegetables yet because I know I'm not ready for them. I tried shredded carrots a few weeks ago and even had difficulty with that. Early on we aren't able to break down some of the fibre and skin found in fruits and vegetables. I love celery but don't think I'll be able to eat it for a few months yet. You can puree the vegetables if they are soft. Same goes for fruit. I put raspberries and Greek Yogurt in the Magic Bullet and I was fine for it.
    Everyone is different as far as time needed to advance through the stages. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body. If something isn't sitting well after a taste or two, stop and try it again in a few weeks. Protein and water are the most important things that we need. At least that is what I have been taught. Hope this helps.
    I had chili tonight for the first time at 6 weeks out. It went down well but I don't think I could have tolerated it much sooner. :)
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lettuce was and is still really hard for me. I am now 10 weeks out. I only can eat a very small amount and it really fills me up. At five weeks lettuce felt like I had eaten a brick and was very uncomfortable. Remember baby steps.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am about 14 weeks out and have tried a little bit of caesar salad and a little bit of steamed broccoli (not the stalks) and carrots and it went well. Again, though, just a little bit at a time.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    my office told me at least 4 months. I had steamed broccoli florets last night with ham. It was great!