Plateau Help

Options
paul87920
paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
So, I'm getting ready to start into another plateau if history is any indicator. I went into one at the end of July/early August. Then, I dropped 20 lbs. Then, all of September I plateaued. I dropped 10 lbs in the beginning October and plateaued for the rest of October. November came along and I dropped 20 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I find this all fabulous. I've nearly lost 130 lbs in 7 months. I was on a roll and I can feel it stalling again. I had wanted to drop 36 more by the end of the year. I know now that this is not only highly unlikely, but unrealistic.

That being said, I'd like to make a decent dent into it.

Can I go about tricking my body into defying this plateau? Rather than play around with calorie reduction, I'm considering radically changing the foods I have been eating and the exercise I have been doing. Currently, my exercise of choice is swimming. My caloric breakdown on MFP seems to average 40% Fat, 40% Carbs, and 20% Protein.

I'd love some suggestions to 'tip the scale' in my favor.

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have always found that mixing things up always gets things moving. Rotating between lower carb and higher carb days, trying different exercises, getting rid of any of the "junk food" in the diet - little nutritional bang for the calories. Good luck.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try changing it up with the exercise. Your body gets used to workouts if they are the same and won't burn as many calories or expend as much energy because it becomes easier (a good thing and a bad thing). If you usually swim, then maybe try biking. Have you added in any weight / strength training? That will increase your metabolism. Good luck! I know the stall thing is frustrating. I keep getting stuck for weeks at a time and it is really hard to stay focused when that happens.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES--- change things up--- change the foods youa re eating, change the workouts-- bet you see the scale moving. I am a creature of habit-- every once in awhile I have to remind myelf to mix things up a little to keep my body guessing. 130 pounds!! WOW. Keep up the good work!
  • dej923
    dej923 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How can you tell a plateau is coming? I've been stagnant for 2 mos now. Granted, I haven't been diligent about my food choices nor have I been exercising as much as I was (5-6 days a week). I feel like I'm eating more than I was, too. I'm around 1200 cals daily. This is my first stall, 1 yr out (12/5). Not trying to steal your thunder, just also interested in this topic! :)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    dej923 wrote: »
    How can you tell a plateau is coming? I've been stagnant for 2 mos now. Granted, I haven't been diligent about my food choices nor have I been exercising as much as I was (5-6 days a week). I feel like I'm eating more than I was, too. I'm around 1200 cals daily. This is my first stall, 1 yr out (12/5). Not trying to steal your thunder, just also interested in this topic! :)

How close are you to your goal weight? Maybe your bod has decided it likes where you are for the next little while? Also, I find if my food choices stray too far from protein/veg/healthy fats that I start gaining.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »

How close are you to your goal weight? Maybe your bod has decided it likes where you are for the next little while? Also, I find if my food choices stray too far from protein/veg/healthy fats that I start gaining.

My choices rarely stray far from protein and veggies, but I haven't been losing at all lately. Part of it is that I am doing strength training, but Thaeda has a point - sometimes our bodies decide that they like where they are. My surgeon actually told me that in my case it might be hard to get to my goal weight (24 lbs away) because my body might not let it happen. He said that is sometimes the case when people start out with a very high BMI.
  • dej923
    dej923 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am about 25 lbs out. I am thinking I'd like to be 150-155. Right now I'm a 10/12 and doing more toning/strength training so I'm sure that accounts for the stall on the scale. People tell me they think I'm still losing so I must be changing in some ways. Although the tape measure doesn't seem to be reflecting that either. :neutral_face:
    I haven't gained, just not losing either. I guess it's time to get serious again & hike/bike/box more!
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have definitly found that mixing things up- in my diet and work out have really helped to bust me out of a stall.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    dej923 wrote: »
    I am about 25 lbs out. I am thinking I'd like to be 150-155. Right now I'm a 10/12 and doing more toning/strength training so I'm sure that accounts for the stall on the scale. People tell me they think I'm still losing so I must be changing in some ways. Although the tape measure doesn't seem to be reflecting that either. :neutral_face:
    I haven't gained, just not losing either. I guess it's time to get serious again & hike/bike/box more!

I was "stuck" at about the same weight for weeks. I recently discovered I can drink my coffee without cream, so that lowered my cals a little and reduced the amount of dairy I was having--- pounds are dropping off again. I am not convinced it was cals/dairy-- I think just making a change-- ANY change surprises the bod. Also, strength training is wonderful and it will transform your body in terrific ways-- even if the scale doesn't budge. Keep taking good care of you!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Total grain avoidance always kickstarts me.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Thaeda wrote: »

My choices rarely stray far from protein and veggies, but I haven't been losing at all lately. Part of it is that I am doing strength training, but Thaeda has a point - sometimes our bodies decide that they like where they are. My surgeon actually told me that in my case it might be hard to get to my goal weight (24 lbs away) because my body might not let it happen. He said that is sometimes the case when people start out with a very high BMI.

Muscles are significantly higher density than fat this can lead a person who only looks at weight think nothing is happening. Our bodies are able to accommodate meaning they can learn to get by with less when we diet or exercise. So what is the best solution? I have two answers 1 keep eating less than what your body needs or 2 change things up for a while, eat different exercise different etc. One last comment our brains do have a set point for weight and metabolism if only scientists knew how to alter it, we could have a much easier time. LOL