IceCream

Options
In another post, there was discussion about giving yourself permission to eat something that you consider a treat, so you don't feel deprived and possibly allow yourself to overeat in response. I haven't really had a physical craving for sweets, so I haven't had much of a problem so far this holiday season. For my Christmas meal, I bought one of the tiny Ben & Jerry's icecream containers. I think they are about 4 oz so it would cover dessert for 2-3 meals. So my question is, has anyone tried icecream? If so, were there any problems with it in your new stomach?

Replies

• imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have had ice cream. It goes down really easy. (Problem!!) I have not tried anything as rich as Ben & Jerry's. It seems like the bad stuff goes down very easy for me.
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have had ice cream (I love ice cream) with no problems. My doctor's office discourages any 'liquid calories' - ice cream, shakes, fruit drinks, etc. Ice cream is considered a liquid calorie because it does not satisfy and keep you full, plus it's empty calories. Just a thought...
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have had ice cream (I love ice cream) with no problems. My doctor's office discourages any 'liquid calories' - ice cream, shakes, fruit drinks, etc. Ice cream is considered a liquid calorie because it does not satisfy and keep you full, plus it's empty calories. Just a thought...

I'm fairly sure all of our doctor's offices discourage this :wink: However, I'm not going to forego ice cream for the rest of my life. I'm just going to learn how to get by with a spoon or two of it instead of downing a whole pint at a time :) Thanks!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    For me Ice Cream is a trigger food. Prior to surgery if it was in the house, I had to eat it until it was gone, could not leave it alone for anything. Surgery was 3.5 years ago and I haven't had ice cream in about 4 years now. This is one thing I will not reintroduce into my life, it's unnecessary to my life and I don't want to find I still am triggered into overeating by it. Same thing with flavored chips. A single serving bag out at a picnic or whatever is fine, but not in my house.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb ice cream quite often. I only have one tablespoon sized scoop at a time though. The low carb ice cream is surprisingly delicious.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Ice cream goes down real well, just make sure you have your daily protein first and log in all teh calories.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have discovered the Yasso brand frozen yogurt bars. They are lower calorie and have a decent amount of protein. Not as rich as regular ice cream but still a satisfying treat for me pre-op. I also want to try freezing my protein shakes into a frozen treat.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big ice cream fan, but I am all about allowing anything- as long as it is done mindfully. :)
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream, and like Thaeda, I allow anything in moderation. I don't want to be skinny if I'm going to be completely miserable the rest of my life. This has to be a change that I can live with long term. That means allowing myself the things I like every now and then. If you want ice cream, have ice cream. Just work it into your calories and don't over do it.
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/protein-ice-cream.html
    Love looking at these recipes, I am still on full liquid, so I have no input on the taste. Thought I would share for you ice cream lovers :smiley:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Trinity....who makes low carb ice cream and what flavors does it come in?!?
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have had ice cream with no problems - since surgery (1 year ago) a very small amount of sweet goes a LONG way! Not as much of a craving for them. I eat the Yasso greek yogurt bars too, they are really good and have protein!
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Trinity....who makes low carb ice cream and what flavors does it come in?!?

Lucerne makes the one I get and it comes in Vanilla Bean. Mmmmmmm. I just looked on google and it said that Breyer's, Edy's, and Blue Bunny all make a low carb ice cream as well. The Breyer's picture is in chocolate....I might have to look around for that one.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never heard of low carb ice cream, but I'll have to look that up. I have never heard of Lucerne so I may not have that in the Mpls area, but I can check on the other 3. Thanks
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of ice cream is a normal serving for all humans and not bad on calories...I find the low carb revolting.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What are the cals in the low carb?!?
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Gelato is a good alternative as only a tiny spoonful is very satisfying.
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Baskin Robbins has a no sugar ice cream in coconut pineapple that is aMaZinG! Not bad for an occasional treat.