Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to the group, weight loss, metformin, and ttc

Hi everyone! I have recently been diagnosed with pcos but I have a feeling I have had it for years. My husband and I have been ttc for a few months. I'm 40 so after 3 months the doc gave me a complete exam. I am insulin resistant so my doc put me on metformin, 1000mg in the evening. The side effects are yucky and I have little appetite. I'm on a low carb diet (dr monitored) and I'm losing about 3 pounds a week as well. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Heather

Replies

• I was when ttc my first child, my doctor also put me on prenatals. . 3 months I was pregnant! Good Luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Sounds about right on all accounts.

Right now, both the Metformin and the drop in carbs you're probably experiencing is going to make you feel like crap for a week or two. Generally speaking, it should level out after that, but you can ease the transition time by ensuring you're drinking enough water and getting plenty of electrolytes (read: salt).

Also, make sure you hit your fat goal. Your body needs dietary fuel from somewhere, and protein is not a fuel source, so when you lower your carbs, you need to make sure your consumption of fat goes up accordingly. The fat will also help ensure you actually absorb and utilize the nutrients you are consuming.

The 3lb/week loss will likely subside after about a month, as dropping carbs very often prompts a drop in water weight and is what accounts for quick, large drops in weight in the first 1-3 weeks. So don't be surprised if it slows down or even comes to a screeching halt around week 4. If your ticker is correct and you need "only" lose 44lb (yeah, I know, 44lb feels like a lot, and may be a pain to lose, but it's a relatively small amount compared to others who can lose large amounts per week for a long period of time, due to having 3-4 times that much weight to lose), then 3lb/week may not be (and probably isn't) sustainable in the long run, and you'll probably want to talk to your doctor about losing more slowly for both short-term sustainability and long-term health and success reasons.
  • We're currently ttc baby #2. I've had pcos since my early twenties. Metformin is how we conceived our first born. I'm really hoping it works for me again!

This is our fifth month trying.
    Baby dust to you! <3
  • fancycakemaker
    fancycakemaker Posts: 57 Member
    Dragonwolf - thank you for your response. The 44 lbs is my short term goal which is to weigh 199. I still have a way to go after that :). I think the Metformin is working for me! AF was on time and I believe I have O'd this week. My body feels like it is normalizing although I know it will take some time. You're right, the first week I felt like garbage...stomach issues, slight nausea, and loss of appetite. I do currently feel a bit better now.

MrsSmithxo- thank you! I am doing everything I can to make this work without becoming obsessive about ttc.

HookinJen36- How long did it take for you to conceive? My fertility doc suggested I get pregnant right away due to my age (40) even though I am carrying too much weight. He just advised me to stick with a low carb diet and I will be fine. *fingers crossed* <3 Baby dust to you too!