Newbie here! Just got my UP for Christmas. Any Protips people can help with?

Options
What have you found works best as far as integrating with MFP? Does enabling the negative calories help or hinder? Have you found success with your Jawbone?

Friends are needed and welcome as well!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you disable negative calorie adjustments, then you might not eat at a deficit on less active days.

People need your real name or e-mail address to add you as a teammate.

Everybody's different, but here's what worked for me:

Do not log any step-based activity. Your UP is already tracking that for you.MLog non-step exercise (like biking or swimming) in UP—never MFP. Log food & drink (including water) in MFP.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your activity level to sedentary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided & set your goal to .5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose.

Follow your MFP goal, eating back your UP adjustments. Your UP total burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you eat less than that, you will lose weight.
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Do not log any step-based activity. Your UP is already tracking that for you.MLog non-step exercise (like biking or swimming) in UP—never MFP. Log food & drink (including water) in MFP.\

This one took me a long time to figure out. If you track on MFP, it will negate that from your UP totals, which is just odd.
  • editorgrrl
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Food & drink (including water) sync one-way, from MFP to UP. But exercise syncs both ways, so whatever you log in MFP overwrites your UP data during that time.

Never, ever log exercise in MFP as 1 calorie just to have it appear in your newsfeed. "Likes" are way less important than an accurate TDEE.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, there are other fitness apps that link with the Up. I use MapMyRun which syncs with MFP and UP. Running calories are taken from MMR, and over-write anything UP had, which syncs with MFP. I love it. :)

Edit: And I just saw that this had already been posted about. Ignore me!
  • thirdseason112
    thirdseason112 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OK, great advice about not logging step activity! I was wondering why it looked so weird... Also, really cool that MMR syncs with MFP and Up. I'll have to try that!
  • reclaimingmandy
    Options
    Don't preplan meals to figure out macros and such for the day. It'll all log into UP and it'll take twice as long to edit because changes don't show on UP when you change it on MFP. I've learned to just log as I eat. Meal plan on paper haha
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I prelog in MFP with no problem. There can be up to a 20-minute delay on the sync, but it doesn't bother me.