Getting my head back in the game

Options
tishtash77
tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
Just stopped caring, tracking, exercising for 4 weeks. Put on 13lbs. How crazy is that?! I ate so much, there were several times where I felt ill from food it was like I lost control tbh and just gorged. So today I have to start over. I hate that I put on so much, I lose half to one pound a week on good weeks, it is going to take a lot longer to get those 13lbs off. But I have to do it, I have to believe I can do this. Feeling pretty low. Got a Polar FT4 from my brother for Christmas so will use that to more properly track the exercise. We still have treats and stuff in the house that I am going to have to ignore. I am not at a strong point anymore so I cannot say I will have a little and fit it into my day as I know I will just eat a lot anyway. Didn't help that my son was so ill the last week or so. But losing focus happened before that, it was just an excuse to stay lazy. Anyway I am blabbering just to get it out there that it is time to refocus. Better to work on those 13lbs now than to leave it and those 13 become 20 or 30. Hope others had a better Christmas xxxx

Replies

• PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Tish!

I've been off for most of the month as well for different reasons, a lot of work and a lot of travel. But most of my days have been in the red and allowed it, I didn't have a lot of control of where or what I ate and few tools to know I was properly tracking but for the most part I just let myself slide.

I'm thankful I didn't gain for the most part, just stayed the same. But it sucks none the less. It's a reminder that no matter how tempting the notion of giving up is, how much easier or simpler it would be if we just didn't give a damn, it just isn't worth it. Going back to old habits doesn't make anything easier (especially if the new habits we were building, day to day weren't that difficult). It's always a false wish, just to let go of all of it for a while, like that will give us some relief. When it never does.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pat, and you are right about that idea of letting go. Oh well. The new gadget is motivating to get some exercise in, and the temptations are less though still here. I think if DH does not eat it I am going to chuck it out in a day or two. Need to start getting my fridge and freezer looking better.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I didn't gain weight per say, just kept going up and down the same couple of pounds. I was all gung-ho a month or so ago, but let myself slide under the pressure of the holidays. There was just so much stuff going on it was hard for me to focus on anything, especially something like weight loss. But I wish I had. I need to learn to stick with it when things get tough or hard. I'm feeling a bit like a truck stuck in the mud spinning its tires, but with 2015 here I'm definitely working on making consistency and perseverance a priority.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I Feeel your pain. I have been out of the game for months. Bipolar took a turn for worse meaning I had to go back on medication which is known to cause massive weight gain. I managed to hover between 276-283 for months then went from 277lb on 27th november to 14th december 302lb then half starved myself down to 290lb by 21st of december only to sky rocket back up to 311lb by 31st december. that is with daily binges around 20'000 calories a day for weeks at a time. It has been a very distressing and painful experience both mentally and physically. The net result is that just in december alone I gained over 30lb and overall I have piled on 34lb which I had fought to get rid of in summer. I have been very mentally unwell for few months and quite literally fighting suicidal wishes. It is such a fight to find the motivation again after set backs but as has been said it is a choice between getting back to going the right direction or continuing in to the decent of ever increasing suffering if do not turn things around. New year is always a good time to get motivated again. Good luck to us all :smile:
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just started back trying a few days ago. I also hadn't been checking any groups because there was no community tab on the app. Anyways hello to all, hoping we all have a great healthy start to the new year :-)
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA since September so I can relate. I started my first semester in school last Aug and after being out of school for 19 yrs I was stressed! I did log in daily and tried to log some foods but did not use MFP like I should. I weighed in this morning and was up 5.2 lbs but I am trying to think positive, it's not as bad as it could have been! We can do this!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hugs to all. Struggles no matter big or small are mind-boggling and defeating. I'm sending out rounds of positive, healing, and uplifting thoughts to all y'all, regardless of whether you posted here or not. We could all use it, right?

P.S. I'm up too...and I was sick from the night of Christmas until New Year's, and I still have a lingering cough that is keeping me from walking or doing much of anything... So hugs to us all!!