Your Main ED characteristics? xx

Options
I am newly diagnosed with ED, Binge Eating now with bulimia and anorexic tendencies. I used to purge, restrict, take laxatives and exercise obsessively but after getting so sick that I had to eat and not be sick to get myself well enough to get up and moving and getting probably the one thing that stops a person from any major psychical exercise I became obsessed with making sure I consumed the right food for my health. So much so that now that I can't stop eating. I have gained 26kg and I am obsessively thinking about food and my Weight and what people think of me because I am huge(I used to be like this when I was heaps smaller though because I have always thought I was huge even when I was underweight). But now it us really starting to do my head in and I need it to stop. Anyway I am trying to work out what the main characteristics of EDs are so I can start working on getting rid of them because at the moment I don't know what is normal thinking and what is not. I am seeing a pysch but like all good people that haven't been through it there ability to completely make sense of my brain is worse than mine is. Hence why I need the help of my fellow EDs

Replies

• emdarling07
    emdarling07 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's quite hard to narrow down what exactly ED thoughts or behaviors are for everyone. Because for some of us, counting calories is triggering and is apart of what their eating disorder obsesses over, but for others it's perfectly acceptable. So here's the trick to figure out what yours might be:

We have so many thoughts a day, it's hard to monitor them all. So for me, I monitor my emotions and anxiety level. If there is a moment in my day that I'm panicked or depressed- I trace it back to a thought that I had. Then, I challenge that thought. If I'm doing something during the day- along the same lines- if it raises my anxiety level or makes me feel uncomfortable, I trace it back to a certain behavior and try to eliminate it.

Another good trick is to ask yourself, "Is what I'm doing/thinking helping me in my recovery, or not?" If the answer is no, then get excited because you're about to make some progress! Sit down and try to connect the dots. EDs like other addictions are coping mechanisms to deal with emotions that you couldn't deal with, until now! So thank your ED for protecting you while you needed it to, and start digging into your emotions and get ready to feel uncomfortable, and then completely relieved. xx We're all here for you!
  • Christine_1027
    Options
    i'm not sure if i ever actually qualified as having an eating disorder, but back in high school, i was guilty of being SUPER SUPER obsessed with losing weight, and also my high school years were an endless cycle of starvation, vomiting, and bingeing.
    even today, im a lot better than before, but i still struggle with ED characteristics from time to time
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wanting to restrict, wanting to have no fat on my body, but restricting leading to overeating or binge purge. A horrible cycle of control, anxiety, loss of control, guilt and shame followed by isolation until I feel I'm done with my pitty party. Lol