My First Stall Is Lasting Way To Long.

Options
Although I'm down 67 lbs. since I started my journey in February, I have only lost 20 lbs. since my Nov. 12 surgery. It has me really concerned. I saw the surgeon last week for my 6 week check in and she was very happy with my progress. My BMI has gone from 52 to 41 since I started this journey.
Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations of how much weight would melt off the first few weeks and month.
The one thing that I have not done is exercise and that MUST be the reason that I've been at a stall for over a month.
Our Bariatric Team in my community is quite maxed out with their work loads. Although I spoke with the dietician twice since surgery she doesn't seem concerned.
I have a huge fear that this is all the weight that I am going to lose. And I told a lot of people that I was having surgery before.
I am going to join Curves this week as I've had success with the circuit program in the past and love the group support and motivation.
I am actually considering joining Weight Watchers as well but I know I'd have to modify the program a lot to get all my protein in and I'm concerned about the cost since my priority is to get going at Curves first.
I can't help but feel something is wrong. My surgery was Nov. 12. I am up to 975 - 1100 calories most days and am good at getting my protein in.
Is it possible that my body has gone into starvation mode and that is part of the reason (other than the obvious lack of exercise)?
I am getting very concerned that this is all I'm going to lose. I've lost 47 lbs. before surgery and only 20 since. I can't help but feel this is not normal.
I live in a harsh winter Canadian climate so walking outdoors is not an option this time of year. I don't own any exercise equipment. I was able to use my sister's stationary bike when she lived with me for a few months but she moved out.
I'm not trying to make excuses here, I know that I MUST exercise. I also worry that I will need to consume more calories to exercise.
Any shared experience, strength and hope would be very helpful here. Is it normal to have a stall for over a month? I did get through the holidays without gaining any weight.
Thanks to all for reading this and to those that have some suggestions. I'm sure I'm not alone here. :)

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think that you will find that adding regular exercise is crucial to success and breaking past the stall. Even though we have had the surgery --- I believe there is still a lot of "trial and error" that we have to go through to find what works for each of us individually. You can do this --- hang in there!!
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Increase your water intake and exercise. There are a ton of free online exercise programs - including walking in place or walking in small areas.
    - and remember we didn't put the weight on in 2 months and aren't going to lose it all in 2 months. Slow and steady wins the game. You can do it!!
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think that it is great that you lost 20lbs since surgery. I am sure that if you incorporate exercise the stall will end. When I feel like I am in a stall I try to add a little bit more carbs and exercise more. There are plenty of home DVD's that you could try to get in your exercise and the best part is it is not that expensive. I recently started the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred all you need is the dvd which is 10 dollars at Walmart and some weights (plastic bottles filled with sand) and you have a workout routine. I often find myself obsessed with the idea that this surgery isn't going to work and when I stall like I am currently I start feeling discouraged however we need to realize that as long as we follow the program and exercise this surgery will work. Take it one day at a time and don't let your confidence in yourself go to the wayside. It will work it's just going to take time.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you are up to 900-1000 calories, I doubt you are in the starvation mode issue. Jack up the burn a little, double check that your logs are accurate (although I bet they are from watching them) and let the process work.

You are tough, you can handle a bump in the road, figure out an alternate path (add exercise) and you will succeed!

Rob
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know you must be discouraged, but keep pressing forward. I am only down 10 lbs, all in the first week and have also been battling discouragement. However, you have been disciplined throughout this process and that discipline will put you in good stead moving forward. Exercising in a cold climate is challenging I'm sure but I also know you have found ways to navigate challenges as they have presented themselves before and I have total faith and confidence that you can navigate this too. Be encouraged by the 20 lbs…when have you ever lost 20 lbs in 2 months before…some have, but precious few. I KNOW you have the strength and fortitude to push through this and emerge victorious on the other side.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Be assured, you are not alone. I had surgery just after you and I am fighting the same feeling you are. I have lost nothing this week. I feel like I want to toss the scale out the window. However, I wasn't exercising either. So, like you, I have made the commitment to exercise. I started yesterday and I'm going to keep going daily. We both made the commitment to improving our health so now we have to do what we need to in order to optimize our decision. You can do this and so can I!
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think my surgery was right after you as well. Ive lost 27 since 11/20. I'm glad you are working with the nutritionist. Each of our programs seem to vary, but I was shocked that you can have oats, breads, crackers. I can't have any if that til 6 months out. Many calories serm to be from them. Any concerns on that? And I agree with others. Time to get moving. No WW yet.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you for your words of encouragement and reassurance. I do know what I am doing wrong (lack of exercise). I just figured I would continue to lose for more than 3 weeks before hitting that first stall and having it last so long.
    Thanks for being a sounding board. It helps to know that I'm not alone in this. :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You will find that stalls hit at common points in weight loss.. I.e. every 10-20% of your weight or so. For example, if you weigh 250 pounds, your first stall will likely hit at about 25-50 pounds lost... It doesnt matter if this is with or without surgery... People often do really well on their pre-diet, stall sooner because they hit this milestone sooner. if you lost no weight at all before surgery, your stall would come later.

The bottom line is your body needs to stop every now and then and readjust. And since it tends to happen at a percentage of weight loss, as you get smaller the number of pounds needed to hit the next milestone will continue to get smaller as well.

Keep doing what you know you are supposed to, add in exercise, drink water, etc. And give it time. There is no way it can really NOT work in most cases.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Keep doing what you know you are supposed to, add in exercise, drink water, etc. And give it time. There is no way it can really NOT work in most cases.

Effin' brilliant!!!! And SO true!
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some good low impact Walk Away the Pounds videos too. I have no advice here but want to say I have faith in you. You can do this. You have overcome much. You can overcome a bump in the road.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. :)

aylajane, what you said about hitting stalls at common points really makes sense. I started my weight loss journey at 317 last February and I'm now down to 250 so that's 67 pounds and over 20% of my weight. My BMI has dropped from 52 to 41 and that is a significant loss. I guess I just have to get out there and get back into regular exercise and be patient.
    I'm also still limited with fruits and vegetables so my carbs are higher than they were before surgery.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Glad to help. Keep in mind that the next stall will come a little sooner now - probably before you hit 200 pounds. Be ready for it and look at it with somewhat satisfaction - you knew it was coming and it does represent a milestone, so getting to it is an accomplishment in itself!

Also some people lose more consistently in a straighter line (2-3 pounds a week every week) and others lose in stair steps (nothing for 2 weeks, then 5 pounds almost overnight, etc) - realize that it averages out over time about the same rate of loss! Especially women. Some lose one week a month only or only on certain weeks in their cycles, etc. Keep your weight in a chart and you will see what *your* pattern is. If you are a stepper, at least you know it and are aware it is only temporary :)

Your average since surgery is 10 pounds a month. That's nothing to sneeze at however it happens! If that keeps up, thats 100 pounds by your one year mark (though that may not be likely, it does put it in perspective!). The slower you lose, the better your skin will respond too...
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whatever they told you on protein is very likely too low... I would aim for a minimum of 100g per day (eventually anyway), and even up to 150g (you cant eat too much unless you have kidney issues or hit like 300+ or something ridiculous). That will make it harder to get up in calories, but that along with weight bearing exercise will help you keep your muscle and avoid that dreaded "skinny fat" look! Plus muscle burns more calories at rest, so your maintenance calories will be higher in the end... Your weight loss may eventually seem a little slower, but it will be more consistent and you will be MUCH happier with your shape and look in the end!
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks again very much aylajane. Between reading these posts and talking with a local friend who had the surgery a month before me I do feel more hopeful. :)
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am the QUEEN of the stall. My weight loss is so slow and boring I need a microscope to see it. But seriously, eventually it will come off if you follow the plan. Maybe not as fast as you hope, but it will happen. If you lose 1 pound a week, that's 52 pounds in a year. Yeah, not exciting, but better than gaining. And that would mean 100 pounds in two years.

In other words, take the long view or you will make yourself nuts. Follow your eating plan. Move around some. Stop obsessing about food. Stop obsessing about your weight. Go back to living your life instead of having it all revolve around this surgery. Your body will finish doing whatever adjusting it is doing and the weight loss will happen again.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and I agree on the protein. I pretty much live on protein shakes (I use UNJURY protein powder) mixed into coffee with Kroger Carbmaster Milk or my Crystal Light lemonade and Kroger Carbmaster Yogurt. I sometimes eat cottage cheese. Sometimes I eat a little meat. I confess to liking Jack;s Links smokehouse jerky. I also bought the stuff to make my own quest bars and use them to get some fiber. On occasion I have an orange or some pineapple or berries, but always with protein. The big treat is apple with natural peanut butter that I;ve poured the oil off from. And yes, on occasion, I indulge in trail mix.

Food just isn't all that interesting to me and there;s a small constellation of items I truly like these days. The more protein I eat, in the form of the protein powder, the better my weight loss.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks authorwriter for your support and suggestions. You are right, I've got to stop fixating on the number and trying to be so perfect. :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks authorwriter for your support and suggestions. You are right, I've got to stop fixating on the number and trying to be so perfect. :)

Strive for progress, not perfection. That's what I keep telling myself. I may have to get it tattooed on my arm so I remember. :) I talked to my sis-in-law who had VSG 2 yrs ago. She said she never weighed herself. They only time she was weighed was in the dr office. She was comfortable just going with the assumption the surgery would work, and watching the clothes get too big. I don't think I'll stop weighing myself, but I'm going to go back to once a week or every two weeks. Maybe then I won't put so much pressure on myself. You will be fine!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself either for the same reason, only at the Dr. And I don't have the Plato problem not because they don't happen, I just don't know it.