do you eat nutritional yeast?

Options
is it good for you?
mine says it's just dry yeast flakes and added vitamins so that's got to be healthy right?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I do. I put it on popcorn, and on my rice and beans. I also make a 'cheese' sauce with it to put over pasta. I tried it years10 ago and didn't find it palatable, but since giving up cheese for good, it has enough cheese flavor for me.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Just make sure you don't rely on it as your only source of vitamin B12, even though it's rich in B vitamins, nutritional yeast does not naturally contain vitamin B12 (unless it is fortified).
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use it. Love, love, love it on popcorn. Also use it in a few seitan recipes. Don't make them often cause my wife hates the though of me eating all that gluten...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it on top of veggies stacks with tomato sauce.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it on pasta dishes instead of the grated parmesan cheese. Also in vegan Mac and cheese type dishes. It doesn't taste exactly like cheese though- if you expect it to you might be disappointed.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love the stuff... it tastes great first of all; quite a unique flavour, and the nutritional value is excellent. Definitely worth a try for anyone.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Never tried it or seen it in shops yet (UK) but I'm currently hooked on a smoked soya 'cheese' sold in Tesco's free-from range, it's just so versatile as it has a firm texture yet grates easily and melts into sauces, quiches etc. The only thing it doesn't do is grill, or rather it does but burns easily (due to the low fat content?) though I get around that by covering the dish with foil and then it melts nicely over dishes like baked stuffed peppers, pizzas and cannelloni.
  • kateyharris9998
    kateyharris9998 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it like others use Parmesan cheese
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it!! Put it on popcorn, in pasta sauces, in tofu scrambles, in grits . . . it is really the greatest invention ever. :-)
  • vitamindesi
    vitamindesi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I put it on everything, even more so when I forget to take my supplement. It's yummy and incredibly good for you
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! This stuff is awesome! I use it in loads of different meals
  • ashersnow
    Options
    You can buy it in the UK online.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do eat it but generally only as a part of vegan recipes I find on the net.
  • ponypal9
    ponypal9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought to use it instead of cheese on pasta! Will definitely be doing this.
  • VeggieGal777
    VeggieGal777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I need to try this, they stock two types on Ocado it's £2.95.