Jumping Rope at 40ish

Options
katscoots
katscoots Posts: 255 Member
so...is there an alternate to jumping rope. This is funny, but also kinda ick...I'm 40, have had babies and well, jumping rope makes me pee...just a little...each time I jump...quite embarrassing, though I doubt anyone notices with all the sweating going on...none the less...
thoughts?

Replies

• thoseAmericanthighs
    Options
    Even at just 25 with no kids, it still makes me pee just a bit. I find that if it's possible to do so right before the workout, I try to run to the restroom or if I'm feeling extra prepared put a small panty liner in my workout bag just in case. As your core and your pelvic floor muscles get stronger though, it will subside, but almost every girl who crossfits experiences this to some extent at one point or another.
  • dawnnezat
    Options
    Sounds odd....and maybe TMI for the men, but I did hear that wearing a tampon helps with this issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a common issue for women, as I understand it. I have it too, and it sucks, especially since if you can't do double unders you get to do 30 for every 10 (I am SO motivated to master the double unders).

Here's an article about the issue with some advice: http://www.jensinkler.com/curing-workout-pee/

Also, Kelly Starrett:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-357-baby-mommas-double-unders-bladder-control-and-a-little-bit-of-pee/

(I have the book Supple Leopard and have been trying to follow this advice about positioning which I found in there, but it's easy to lose focus, so it hasn't really been successful. I need to work on it when not in the middle of a WOD--especially not a team WOD like this Saturday, sigh)
  • katscoots
    Options
    Excellent, thank you.
  • katscoots
    Options
    dawnnezat wrote: »
    Sounds odd....and maybe TMI for the men, but I did hear that wearing a tampon helps with this issue.

A tampon would be in the wrong hole...just sayin'

• dawnnezat
    Options
    "A tampon would be in the wrong hole...just sayin'"

Ha ha yes I know this but someone told me it had something to do with the pressure in the general area.

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    katscoots wrote: »

It's close enough. I believe your urethra ...pee hole...is at the opening of your vag...

Or wear a pantyliner. I heard one girl say that all the women at her old box wore Depends on jump rope or box jump days.

Practicing Kegels could also help...
  • bookloverlori
    bookloverlori Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every woman in my box makes a last ditch run to the bathroom right before we start. Lol... myself included. I had a little leak on wall balls the other day! That's never happened before!!! Guess I'll be going to the bathroom before wall ball wods as well. :) My lifting friends and I all joke because every one of us say, "But first, I gotta pee!"
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue with DU's but holy heck is it an issue with heavy back squats and max DL's for me!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    katscoots wrote: »

It's close enough. I believe your urethra ...pee hole...is at the opening of your vag...

No it's not. A tampon is totally in the wrong place. You can pee with a tampon in?

I don't have this issue either, I'm always more worried I'll fart during heavy squats and deadlifts!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Kegel exercises can help too, but don't overdue them or the muscle will be tired...and things will happen.

Inkralet, I regularly trot over to the locker room in our gym to make sure the pipes are clean before heavy lifting. But every once in a while it's gonna happen.
  • StephaniePaige1020
    StephaniePaige1020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope and deadlifting over 200 gets me every time!!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue with DU's but holy heck is it an issue with heavy back squats and max DL's for me!

This! Although I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my second kid now and pretty much anything that takes effort makes me want to pee now (sneezing and coughing included).