PARTICIPANT GUIDE CHAPTER 1

Options
Briefly review the list of statements below and identify those you feel are true for you. Afterwards, please share one and tell WHY it's true for you.

1. I think about food way too much.
2. My food choices are often high in fat or sugar.
3. I feel embarrassed about my weight or appearance.
4. The thought of changing how I eat makes me feel sad.
5. I'm reluctant to bring this issue to God.
6. I have gained and lost weight several times.
7. I feel defeated and discouraged about issues related to weight or food.
8. I don't have as much physical energy as I wish I did.
9. When I need comfort, I turn to food before I turn to God.
10. I say negative things to myself (You're so fat. You're ugly. You're not capable of getting your act together when it comes to food.)
11. I'm not sure this is an issue God cares about.
12. I feel guilty or embarrassed about what I eat or the size of my portions.
13. I have health concerns that are weight related.
14. I eat foods typically considered unhealthy fast food several times a week.
15. I eat for emotional reasons - for comfort, out of boredom, to relieve stress.
16. I sometimes feel like food is more powerful than I am.
17. I think I will always struggle with this issue.
18. I sometimes eat in secret or hide food.
19. I avoid physical exertion.
20. When it comes to food and weight, I feel like I am trapped in a vicious cycle with no way out.

Replies

• Fantabulosity1
    Options
    NUMBER 9!
    I do not always think about praying or talking to God. I know this is a problem and it's one that I'm working on. I know I can overcome it because of God's word. Romans 8:37(KJV) - "Nay in all these things we are more than conquerors though him that loved us."

WE CAN DO IT!
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    #9 & #15 resonated with me; despite knowing consciously that seeking God's love and support is what I need, I unconsciously turn to food for the immediate relief. That just leaves me feeling defeated and the cycle repeats.
  • mimi4janda
    mimi4janda Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can relate to almost all of these but I go to food before God more than I care to admit
  • jltheis7
    Options
    I made the conscious effort to use prayer today when stressful events happened. I did not have any food cravings til just before sitting down to log before bed. So I made some hot tea and read my daily devotional again. It passed.
  • Fantabulosity1
    Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for sharing. I appreciate your candid honesty. And it IS easy to go to food for comfort before going to God. We like instant gratification. Think about King David. He'd rather have a woman's husband killed before he would admit to the lust of his flesh. I can admit to my food lust. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard for me. But you know what? God blessed me to overcome my "love" of Twinkies. And let me tell you, this was no fleeting love affair. NOPE! Not. At. All. I actually hid them in my closet amongst my shoes so NO ONE would see me eating them. OH THE SHAME! Truthfully I wasn't ashamed at the time. I didn't even care. All I know is that I had them at my disposal. Just like David had Bathsheba at his disposal when he had her husband killed. The barrier was removed. When I hid the Twinkies, the barrier of my husband seeing me eat them and talk me out of was removed. It's challenging, but we can do this because we're in this together. Next chapter coming tomorrow 1/6. ;)
  • jltheis7
    Options
    reading chapter 2...
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Starting chapter 3 tomorrow and hope to get back to reflect on both 2 and 3 this weekend.