New and could use some help

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and this is my new {post sleeve} MFP account. I wanted a fresh start!

I was sleeved on Dec. 18th. The process went perfectly, except like many, I had a very large hernia that I didn't know I had (about the size of an orange) and that had to be repaired at the same time. I can honestly say that my tonsillectomy surgery a few years ago was far worse than my VSG, so I'm happy about that.

What I'm not happy about is that for the last week (I'm on soft foods) I have been feeling what feels like major hunger just a short time after I eat. I have never had reflux except for when I was pregnant long, long ago, but I don't really feel like that's what I'm feeling. This is a gurgling, hunger sensation. It's certainly worse after I eat something like soup, and better when I eat more solid food. BUT, a major reason I had this surgery was to (albeit temporarily) shut up the hunger for a while.

I called my Dr. and they didn't seem to think it's reflux because it's not a burning or feeling in my chest or throat. The nurse asked my eating routine and I told her that I have breakfast every morning (about a 1/2 a scrambled egg), and a protein hot tea on the way to work around 730 am. By 1030 I am feeling this famished feeling. She asked me if I am hungry in the morning and I said no way. I have never been the type to be really hungry first thing in the morning even pre-op. So, her suggestion was not to eat breakfast and wait until I feel hunger a little later and start eating then. But, isn't this a contradiction in terms? Aren't we supposed to eat breakfast for a healthier metabolism?

Sorry for the long rant, but I was wondering if anyone else is feeling a lot of hunger so early post op?

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am almost a year out and I do not recall feeling a lot of hunger post op. My suggestion is you follow the nurse's advice. Wait until later if you want. As far as what you are "supposed' to do-- every one is different. I know some people who don't eat until 2pm because they do not get hungry until then- and they are not overweight. :)

Best of luck to you and keep posting! :)
  • sleevedgirl
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Thaeda!
  • Vauxin
    Vauxin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your water in?, my Doc always stressed the impotence of it and how feeling hungry after surgery was sometimes due to lack of hydration.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For some people, the only "symptom" of acid reflux is hunger. Get something for it over the counter and take for a few days and see if it helps, even if you do not feel the "burning" typical symptoms. This is very common after surgery and many doctors will put you on antacids or reflux meds for the first few months after surgery as just part of their standard post op instructions.

And no, you dont need to eat breakfast to do anything for your metabolism. If it helps to wait to eat, do that. The only reason not to wait is if you are having trouble getting in protein or calories and need to spread it out and "graze" to get it in.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 3 1/2 months post op and I rarely eat breakfast. I have found that on the days I do eat when I'm not hungry, I get more hungry later in the day. I focus on fluids and drinking some sort of protein first thing in the morning, and the protein will typically stave off any hunger until lunch time.
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was starving for the first 2 months after surgery. I was sleeved in June 2014. I was so disappointed because the feeling of hunger was one of the main reasons I opted for the sleeve. My doctor prescribed an acid reducer, even with my protest that he was crazy and that I was really hungry. Silly me the acid reducer worked beautifully.
  • sleevedgirl
    Options
    Gosh, thank you all SO MUCH. So you think OTC Prilosec will be good enough?
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I too found that I needed something like Prilosec for the first several months after surgery or I would have the sensation of hunger. It really helped when I took Omeprazole.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know you will have to get your protein and I know it's hard to get all of the water at first. Post operative a 1/4 cup at a time is about it so 5 or 6 meals will be needed. This is just a fact so breakfast will be needed. Also, if we eat before being hungry it will be easier not to over do. For me half a bite over and I threw it back up. Throwing up didn't feel good.
    There are several websites with postoperative diet suggestions. Do your research ask questions.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is extremely different. I have never thrown up, and just feel slightly uncomfortable when I over eat. I also eat more when I start eating when I'm not hungry yet. My suggestion? Don't let anyone else tell you what you should or have to do, because your plan/stomach is different than theirs. Trust YOUR body and follow YOUR plan. Just use what you get here from the group to help guide you.
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's how my reflux was post op..I was on an antacid for 6 months and it helped!! Good luck!!
  • sleevedgirl
    Options
    I sincerely appreciate all the help. I went and got myself a 14 day dose of Omeprazole to try and see if it makes a difference. It's the 20 mg once a day routine. It says it could take 1-4 days to see a difference so I'm crossing my fingers. From now on I'll try to be more cognizant of what I'm feeling and try to realize I'm probably not that hungry. Hopefully this will pass in a few weeks or months. Thank you all for your advise.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Like you, I felt hungry shortly after surgery. It really surprised me because I thought I would have more time before that kicked in. It wasn't in my head, either, since you could hear my stomach rumbling! I have found that it helps to keep a protein drink with me most of the day along with water. I can take a couple sips of either and it chases the hunger away (the protein drink longer than water but they both work). I am almost 16 weeks out but in order to get enough protein in, I am still using the protein drinks.
  • ginavsgDec14
    Options
    I can't be much help about the hunger, but my VSG was on 12/18/14 also. I'm at the dreaded 3 week stall..... boo! I'll friend you so we can be accountable! :smile:
  • sleevedgirl
    Options
    **UPDATE** I am thrilled to report that I have now had 2.5 days on the Omeprazole 14 day 20 mg dose pack and my weird hunger sensations are about 80% gone! Not only that, now that they are going away, I am rarely feeling *really* hungry anymore. In fact, yesterday it was really difficult to get in 500 cals. At 3 weeks post op today, I think this is ok, but over the next few months my goal is to get to 700-900 cals per day for the next year (per Dr & NUT orders). I am hoping that as the Omeprazole continues to work, I will feel what I had hoped to feel after surgery, which is more restriction and less growling. Thank you again to everyone that helped me!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The stomach growling (noise) may not go away for a few more months. It doesnt mean you are hungry. Just accept your tummy "talks" now, and laugh it off. it does get better, but a little embarassment in the meantime...

I had a boyfriend who had WLS a few months before me and the joke was that our stomachs talked more than we did (sadly true, so no longer together :) ).
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pre-op, I'd been treated for asthma, (unsuccessfully) for many years. When started discussing WLS and went to my pre-anesthesia appointment, they were concerned about how I would do with anesthesia and uncontrolled asthma so they sent me to a pulmonologist. Pulmonologist tested me as proclaimend me asthma free, "your lungs are fine", suggesting thath my chronic cough was actually refulx related. About that same time, I went for my pre-op EGD. They found a small hernia that they eventually repaired with my sleeve, but also found evidence of the reflux. I NEVER had heartburn. Some folks never do. Diagnosed with "Silent Reflux", they put me on 40mg of Omeprazole and it went away immediately. Post op, I went to 40 mg morning and night as the sleeve can be a reflux inducing procedure due to the high pressure system it creates. SO, no burning doesn't necessarily = no GERD. Next time it happens, have a couple of tums. If that settles it down, you'll have your answer.