Finally approved - waiting on surgery date.

Options
murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
After fighting insurance denial since October and working with my husbands employer I got the news today that my surgical center got the insurance approval! Its been a hard few month being in limbo and about 10 lbs crept back on from poor choices and holiday food. But its a new year and I am ready for my new start. I'm glad I was able to have 1 last holiday season where I could eat all the things that I won't be able to in the future although I didn't go overboard. I have already started my new years better eating habits which have already resulted in some weight loss so I'm on track for my surgery. I look forward to joining the post-op side and hope I have prepared myself as best as I could for whats to come.

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the surgery approval!! Let us know how things go.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it through the insurance maze! Use the time you have prior to surgery to the fullest!

Rob
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just follow the directions from your Dr. And you will be fine. This is a great support group for the questions that you have.
  • jcfelbi
    jcfelbi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was denied three times - and in hindsight now know that "third time's a charm" in most insurance circles as your request gets booted over another review committee. I had the surgery done on Dec. 1st -- first two weeks were HELL (but I was totally prepared for it, so I just waited it all out...) But I followed my doctor's plan to the T -- if she said get up and walk, I was up and walking! If she said don't lift heavy stuff, I didn't. And by week 3, it was already very clear that the "hard part" of any surgery (the pain, the stiffness, fatigue, etc) was lifting. The subsequent food plans have been surprisingly easy as the surgery seems to temporarily knock out your appetite.

Oh, one thing I wasn't prepared for immediately after surgery was the 5-months-pregnant look : ) It goes down steadily, tho! And the "blood thinner" shots in the stomach that I was PARANOID about? They were NOTHING! (I so stressed over those ...for nothing!)

So congrats on getting approval and I wish you the best of luck during surgery.
  • CatKaren
    CatKaren Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Had you had any previous surgeries? I had my gall bladder out in the dark ages, 1980. Laproscopic hysterectomy 1996, and Laproscopic apendectomy 8 years ago. Do, I'm wondering if I should assume my sleeve is going to be status quo.

Yes, the gas that's pumped into you makes you look preggers for a time. I'm taking Gas X to the hospital.

My biggest fear is INFECTION. I am in poor control of my diabetes, and after my apendectomy, my glucose reading was 500! I had a nasty ecoli infection that took 5 months to heal. I was in the ER a few times. I lost 30lbs.
    The diabetes is why I'm having surgery.
    I can not take the neuropathy in my feet and hands. I'm in CONSTANT pain, and I am so tired.
    I may only have another 20 years before I keave this world, and I'd like to spend some quality time with my kids and grand kids.
    Anyway, I'm off track here. Sorry
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Gax X is for gas in your colon, most of the gas is actually in your stomach area to give them room to work. It wont help much if at all for that particular kind of "gas" pain (not gas as in having to fart, but actual CO2 pumped in for air space). Walking a LOT is the only way to work that out.

And a lot of people while working it out get horrible shoulder pain... it has to do with it hitting the bottom of your diaphragm or something. Not much you can do but keep walking until its gone.
  • _Divalicious_
    _Divalicious_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I submitted Dec 17 and got approved this past monday (Jan5th) Waiting for surgery date too.
    Im hoping for Jan 15 that way i have an extra day before I have to return to work on Tuesday
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I got the call for scheduling surgery. My date is two weeks from now on the 21st. It feels like I'd be waiting forever and now things are moving super fast. I'm happy and nervous but I am ready. :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I know how exciting it is to get that call. As others stated, the Gas-X is probably not going to help with this kind of gas. I found it uncomfortable, especially in my shoulders, but the more you walk the more it dissipates. Next Christmas you probably won't be eating as much, but think how fabulous you will feel-- and look!!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery approval. I am so very happy for you. :)
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations