New year, new goals...

Options
GretchenReine
GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
Right? Ok, so we probably have a lot of the same goals that we've had the whole time we've been on MFP. Maybe we've tweaked them. Maybe we've added some. Maybe our bucket list has changed. One thing that doesn't change is that we need goals and we need help achieving them. I'd like to pretend that I've done all of my work on my own. I'd be so lying to you! It has taken a lot of time and effort on my part...and a lot of patience on the part of my immense support group! Between my MFPeeps, my FB friends, my family, my children and my loving husband...they have listened to a lot of ups and downs...a lot of self doubt...a lot of complaining...and a lot of cheering as I have reached certain milestones.

I have a long way to go. I don't want to be done where I'm at. I want to keep going. Is my final weight goal realistic? Yeah, I doubt it. But it's my goal and I need something to push towards.

I've set monthly goals for myself for miles walked/run/jogged, calories burned, steps taken (via my Vivofit)...and I know where I want to be weight-wise...smaller than I am now!

So I'm attempting another challenge. Instead of setting up a new challenge each month and recruiting new people each month...I just said screw it and set up a challenge for the year. It's our challenge. If you have ideas for different forms of torture you'd like to see in future months...let me know! January we have taken on squats and burpees. Any modification is fine. I know I can't do a burpee. I don't expect that everyone can...although I know that not everyone can't either! I think February is set with tri-cep dips and some planks (I hate those since I have no core). Other ideas are definitely welcome. If not...it's ok...I'm sure I can find all sorts of stuff on the internet! LOL

What goals do you have? What fitness goals for the year? Any races you're doing? 5K? Tri? Half?

Replies

• mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am planning on doing a lot of cardio and strength training at home. I currently have ChaLEAN Extreme, Insanity, and T25 in my plans. Is there any way we can track minutes of exercise along with miles? You'd have to pay me to be outside longer than necessary for the next couple of months (thanks a lot winter!) so I'm not sure I will be getting a lot of miles in.... Just a thought :)
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I was actually thinking about the minutes thing this morning and was going to ask if people had an interest in that. I'll go ahead and add a sheet for that for those that want to track minutes instead of miles. Yeah...winter is a *kitten*...especially today! OMG it's cold out there!
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I guess my goal would be to be consistently decent. If I have some exceptional moments, then great. But my problem is when I get into a slump. Then the longer I am in the slump, the harder it is to get out. For example, right now (except for a lot of walking in Vegas last week) I've hardly been doing anything. I haven't gone to yoga or sculpt in months.

And I have 8 pounds to get back to maintenance, but I feel like that might take care of itself if I just change a few little things from my current pattern.

(One more thing I've noticed - I've been MUCH less involved with MFP since they added the "like" button. I used to feel like I "knew" people, but now when an entire exchange with someone is based on hitting "like" back and forth, I don't have the same buy in. When people give their workouts fun titles like Gretchen does, I feel like I get to know the person better too.)
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say I can relose all of the weight I lost before, but I don't know if that will happen. So, my goal is to exercise consistently, and try to make better choices food-wise. I like the idea of the year spreadsheet because I think it will keep me coming back. Hopefully I will lose weight along the way. :)
  • MrsElguapo
    MrsElguapo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hit a weight loss plateau last fall and am stuck here. But I also haven't been working as hard as I had been. My goal is to just recommit to doing exercise most days of the week, ideally running, and then adding in some additional stuff like planks, etc. I would like to do 4 5ks this year.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My goal is to stay focus on MFP these next couple of months since our move will take place in Feburary! Also, I would love to be at my lowest maintenance weight by my 54th birthday, March 3!

I have a half marathon on June 13, in Seattle!
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I had my weight goal to lose like 84 pounds which just feels so unattainable so I have changed it to 20 pounds as the goal. I have nothing special planned to do this year. I just have to get back into the swing of things and do it even when I don't want to since I regain the 22 I had lost plus gained an extra 13 since day 1.
  • almcneal
    almcneal Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 20 lbs and keep it off. The maintenance is a bigger issue than I realized. I do want to do cardio, but I also need strength training to fight the effects of gravity. Hopefully something will work this year.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose about 15 lbs by the time my birthday rolls around on March 29. My long term goal is to lose another 25 by June.
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I love all of these goals! Ultimately I'd like to see 150 but let's be honest...its probably not realistic while I still have a pulse! I want to get back to ONEderland and then see what's next! I guess I'll know when I'm done when I get there.

Amy - I'm glad you like my workouts! I do treadmill and elliptical mostly...it gets boring putting that day after day! ;-)
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    gkeith1971 wrote: »
    I love all of these goals! Ultimately I'd like to see 150 but let's be honest...its probably not realistic while I still have a pulse! I want to get back to ONEderland and then see what's next! I guess I'll know when I'm done when I get there.

G- This is how I am approaching this year. I've set a goal of 175, instead of 135, which is supposedly my healthy weight. I may even change my goal to 185 or 195 since the last time I did this my body seemed to want to stay at 195 despite working out and running 5 days/week. And, I want to actually reach a doable goal, and then see how that feels.
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As you can see my goal is for 199. I do not want to be crazy about the number this year. I need to get it down and will work at it one pound at a time!!!