how long would it take a beginner to get into marathon shape?

Options
13»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder about this as well. I was doing around 50 miles per week on my peak weeks. I thought I was properly trained for the distance but then I did take a few walk breaks those last few miles. Still got it in 4:32 and this was my first one. My error was not doing enough hill work. My quads were shot around mile 18 from the hills on the course. Then again I was cautious about hill repeats due to an occasional achilles issue so that was by choice.

How long should you wait? I don't know that you need to do a 2:00 half before trying out for a full but you'll enjoy a full a lot more if you can enjoy a half a lot more. That's true for sure.

I'd argue that lack of hill work wasn't why your quads were trashed, but rather just a lack of cumulative mileage. Besides, hill repeats are designed to build strength, not to help you with muscle fitness for hills over distance. Running easy run routes with hills, especially your long run, goes a lot further to the type of conditioning required than repeats will.

I guess that there has to be a distinction made about what constitutes a successful marathon. The definition will be different depending on your goals. So, this is my opinion, based on my definition of a successful marathon, which I believe to be one that is run in around 4:10 or less. Again, my opinion, I don't see the value in running a marathon if it's going to take you longer than that, and even then it's pushing it. Modern coaches, almost unanimously, state that any long run over 3:30 is counter productive. They also agree that anything more than about 20 miles is counterproductive as well. So, 3:30 to do 20 miles is a 10:30 pace. That translates to a 4:35 marathon if you run the race at your long run pace. Hopefully your MP will be faster, resulting in that 4:10-4:15 range. So, I believe that if you can't do 20 miles in 3:30, then you shouldn't consider training for a marathon. I think the HM of under 2:00 is a good indicator of one's ability to hit those other numbers with proper training.

So, call me a running snob or whatever, but that's the way I feel. As I stated earlier in this thread, there are many other running goals that are far more difficult to attain than surviving a marathon. Working toward those goals and putting in the mileage required to attain them will prepare the runner for the rigors of marathon training.
    Noted. 2:00 half isn't that difficult to do. My long run this weekend I did 13.1 in 2:01:44 and I didn't really push myself that hard. I could run a 2:00 half every weekend easily without even feeling that sore. That's why I finally signed up for the full I did last month. Granted I could try to bring my half time down first. My 20 mile run before I did in 3:15. It wasn't that bad and I was sure I could continue on for 6 miles at a 10:00 pace. That didn't happen on race day but I don't know that I'd tell myself to stick to running half marathons till I got better.

Based on your comments I guess I just lack the total cumluative miles during the week to support hitting my goal. Well, I could drop about 15 pounds too. :laugh: It doesn't help that I weigh about 224 lbs right now.

ETA: @ Start time on race day it was 64 degrees with almost 90% humidity. That didn't help one bit.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to mostly agree with Carson here.

Wouldn't recommend starting from scratch and running a marathon in less than a year's time. Plenty of people "make it". But a lot end up injured by the wayside. I'd say 18 months from when you start running is a pretty safe goal, though. See where you're at in a year.

There's a lot of fun to be had at the sub-marathon distance, so you get to enjoy all of that on your way up. I'm an ultrarunner, and the most fun I had at a race over the past two years was a 2.5 mile race!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I went from couch to marathon in less than 14 months. I had a great first marathon (3:49, no walking, no wall, no issues). I then had an even better second marathon. Then I got injured. Why? Probably because I wanted to do more than my body could handle.

Are you planning on running that marathon and never running again after? If that is the case, go for it.

If you are planning on running for the rest of your life, take it easy. There is no rush :)
  • haircuttergirl
    haircuttergirl Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I went from couch to marathon in less than 14 months. I had a great first marathon (3:49, no walking, no wall, no issues). I then had an even better second marathon. Then I got injured. Why? Probably because I wanted to do more than my body could handle.

Are you planning on running that marathon and never running again after? If that is the case, go for it.

If you are planning on running for the rest of your life, take it easy. There is no rush :)
    ^ I like this.

Enjoy the ride :) I started back to running in March and am training for my first half this coming March. Shooting for a Spartan race in November, then my first full in March 2016. I am stoked!
    Goals are great to help you stay motivated. But too big a goal may end up getting you down if you encounter injuries and a rough start, like I did. Took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong and how to adjust... to get into a groove.
    Good luck with your endeavors!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    yogaveg wrote: »
    just started running (again) last month and i fell back in love with it. as i'm creating my 2015 goals i'm wondering if a marathon towards the end of 2015 would be too ambitious. i tend to aim was to high so i was looking for other's input.
    the jump between 1/2 marathon which i'm certain i could do in a year and full marathon seems huge! anyways, opinions on this??

I started running in september 2013, and ran my first full marathon in April 2014! I'd done 5k's and 10k's but that was it, so you can do it if you put the training in! It was hard, and I did it in 5.5hours. I've done a half since which I did in 2.5hours and I have another half this March then another full in April and I'm aiming for 2 hours 15mins for the half and 5 hours for the full.

If you're already a runner, I think you can do it within a year providing you train and don't get injured! x