Calories haywire

Okay earlier in the day I had like 400 extra calories that I have recieved from my amount of steps with my fitbit....NOW I check it and it says I only have like 383....why did it go down???

Replies

• calithulu
    calithulu Posts: 25 Member
    It's not haywire. You gained the 400 calories because your activity put you 400 calories above your baseline. However, you "lost" 17 calories from the surplus when your activity level dipped below the predicted baseline. Get out and walk again for a bit and you'll gain them back.

This is why I use 20% off of my TDEE to determine the number of calories I allow myself. The Fitbit calories bounce up and down as the predicted amount changes.
  • SmilinLadybug
    SmilinLadybug Posts: 24 Member
    Ohhhh so it kinda estimates what I will use...
    SO that means if I slow down for a while I will lose some of the calories...right?? Thanks!!
  • calithulu
    calithulu Posts: 25 Member
    Pretty much. It is entierly possible to get a pretty big surplus early on (for example, I often go jogging at night and sometimes I'll be out running past midnight) and then hours later be at a deficit because overall you didn't do as much work as Fitbit predicited based on your reported activity level.

All that said, Fitbit is a good system and as long as you're meeting your daily calorie burning goal (mine is 2800 kcals per day, for example) you'll do well.
  • SmilinLadybug
    SmilinLadybug Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you I am excited to try this fitbit and MFP thing....