Can I ask something of everyone????

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
This is a new year. We are 8 days in and I see my friends in pain and heart break. I am very excited about what 2015 holds for me and I wish I could bottle my enthusiasm for everyone. Make it inffectious.

With that said, I would like all my friends to make a promise, a committment to themselves, (not me) to take 10 minutes a day just for each of you. Be it a book, meditation, a walk, playing with your doggie/kitten/child, but something that brings you joy. Put everything out of your mind for that 10 minutes and concentrate just on how you feel in the moment. Let it help you feel good. (I included playing with doggie/kitten/child as playing with them makes me feel grounded and down to earth and relaxed. I hope it does the same for you). For 10 minutes, do not worry about food, water, spouses, cleaning, tracking, working out. Do what feels good. I found that I enjoy my day more when I spend 10 minutes a day taking a break from "reality".

Now that I have everyone thinking I've done lost my marbles, asking you to take 10 minutes for yourself in such a busy time, post what you will do. Make the commitment public. Share what you will enjoy for those 10 minutes. It may give someone else an idea to do.

Replies

• carimiller7391
    Options
    OK. My 10 minutes today will be spent when I get home from work playing with my doggie. It's wind down time. I also take deep relaxing breaths during lunch for about 5-7 minutes just to ground and center myself for the rest of the day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I struggle so much with making time for myself. And usually I have to make sure I put down my phone first, or I end up taking my ten minutes and playing a game and never letting my mind relax. I can't promise, because I don't make promises I can't guarantee to keep, but I can tell you that I will make this commitment to try every day. I've been working up to this lately...

Usually for me it is that time washing my face and getting ready for bed...alone in my room. I need to make it a more active time. When I walk, I do that for me, but until I shake this cough, I can't do that...

Thank you for the reminder that we all need this, and no, I don't think you've lost your marbles - I think you've hit upon a sore point most of us neglect out of a misguided notion others NEED US 24/7, which simply isn't the case - and actually neglects those around of us of opportunities to grow as people, etc.

Hugs...have a great Thursday!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I like the idea of spending that time getting ready for bed. I'm going to steal that idea, if you don't mind. I'm usually so ready to crash by the time I'm heading to bed that I completely neglect any routine. Also, this winter is wreaking havoc on my skin, so putting in a little more effort there will be good.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like this idea.
    Ten minutes a day seems like such a small amount of time but when you have five kids, 3 cats, a dog, a husband plus lots of other commitments I don't usually get any "downtime" for myself. I carved out time for exercise but that isn't really relaxing.

For my ten minutes today...probably spent in the car waiting for children I am going to work on some knitting. Pickup is usually such a stressful time due to all the traffic so maybe if I go a few minutes earlier and spend it doing something I love I will be a better mom when they get there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I try to always have some knitting or crocheting with me at all times. It makes me more patient when I have to wait...I just have to be sure it is something I can put down mid-row without losing my sanity. The rhythm also is very soothing, almost meditational... Unfortunately, it was before the Christmas holiday when I last picked up my needles. I couldn't tell you why. I thought several times over the break about it, but I just never did it...

So what project are you working on? Mine is a cowl/infinity scarf...
  • wennim
    Options
    I used to always have it with me too but I never had the chance to do much with it since there was always little kids to watch instead of knitting so I kind of fell out of practice with it.

I just started a pair of wool socks ....for myself! Everyone in the family already has a least one pair so it is finally my turn.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I also love a bit of knitting, I can only do scarf's so far but am on my 7th one since November when I started knitting. Apparently it induces a meditation like state in the brain so is very good for you. It helped me through a bad patch so I think it is great.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I need to paint, write or go out with my camera but I am struggling to find the ability to
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    I crochet constantly. Although, it comes in fits and spurts. I just made a few blankets for gifts, a cat bed for my kitties and am now working on a knight's helmet for my son. It's a super cute pattern. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/extra-thick-knights-helmet--adult-sml

I get lots of me time these days. After so many years of not getting any, I really make sure I get it. But, honestly, that's less important to me than "someone else taking care of me" time. Like someone offering to get me a cup of water, or make my coffee, or put my dish in the dishwasher. Things like that really ease my day. It helps so much to have someone who's willing to put themselves out there for you. I find noticing those moments has become a huge way for me to recharge. My kids are old enough now that they're pretty good at this stuff. And, my husband has undergone a huge transformation in the past couple of months, managing his stress so much better, it's making my house so much more peaceful and full of this mini moments I treasure.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've discovered that washing dishes by yourself, too, can be kind of meditative. Knitting for me is only meditative if it is a simple pattern. Crazy patterns make me crazy. Crocheting is harder on my chronic wrist injury, so I don't do that as often... I go through phases of crafting...but mostly, I don't have time... I have to get better with my time management. Period, end of. I try to get to much in that I don't do anything well....

I taught myself to knit, and I love it. My grandmother taught me to crochet, and I love that, too. I love shocking people who are like, "you made that?" Yeah, baby, that's me! LOL

Hope everyone finds some healing stuffs this week/weekend,
    Carly
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Nice! I'll have to spend more time looking at them this weekend. Thanks. :)
  • wennim
    Options

ButterflyBuddleia is just beautiful - I love the way the color of the purple is so bright.

• wennim
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I've discovered that washing dishes by yourself, too, can be kind of meditative. Knitting for me is only meditative if it is a simple pattern. Crazy patterns make me crazy. Crocheting is harder on my chronic wrist injury, so I don't do that as often... I go through phases of crafting...but mostly, I don't have time... I have to get better with my time management. Period, end of. I try to get to much in that I don't do anything well....

I taught myself to knit, and I love it. My grandmother taught me to crochet, and I love that, too. I love shocking people who are like, "you made that?" Yeah, baby, that's me! LOL

Hope everyone finds some healing stuffs this week/weekend,
    Carly

I taught myself to knit too. My mother in law thinks she taught me to crochet but I am left handed and just did it on my own and let her think that to keep the peace.

I had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists a couple of years ago and had kind of gotten out of the habit of doing things with my hands since it was so uncomfortable. I am just now getting back into it and am really enjoying it again.

I have tried lots of crafts over the years- cross stitch, sewing, embroidery, woodworking, redoing old furniture, soap making, even a very failed attempt at making things with clay.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I am so proud of you my friends.... all talking about things to do for yourself. Makes my heart warm and fuzzy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I taught myself to crochet left-handed in order to be able to teach my daughter's friend. It wasn't as difficult as I expected. I can still do it, especially when my right wrist starts to ache. I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have a repetitive stress injury due to previous amputation, and they officially call it atypical tendonitis or something similar. It is all in the thumb/index finger channel, but the pain can be unbelievable... I'm glad you recovered from your surgery. I, too, am a Jill of many trades, master of none, completely.