Quick question for those of you who use a Polar FT HRM watch and a Fitbit

Options
WelshPhil1975
WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I am hoping to get a Polar FT60 in a couple of weeks for mostly cardio workouts and power walking but I am wondering how to get the most out of it.

I can’t see Polar syncing with either mfp or Fitbit on the apps lists, so is there either another compatible app I can use, or if not, how do you get the most benefit from it, in conjunction with your Fitbit?

Replies

• kimowens27
    Options
    The best polar device to have that syncs with Fitbit and MFP is a Polar H7. I think I got mine from Amazon for around $60. It only comes with the strap but you can just the watch that you currently have and it will work. Then you will also need to get an app called DigiFit. Then you just sync the HRM with DigiFit. Once it is synced you sync it with your FitBit and MFP accounts. Then when you exercise you just open the Digifit app and you will see it sync with your HRM and then you just choose what type of exercise you are doing and hit start. I absolutely love it because it loads the exact calories that I have burned into MFP and then there is no guess work with how many exercise calories that you have actually earned.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    HRMs are best used for steady state cardio (like walking, jogging, running, swimming, elliptical, etc.). They get innacurate when you start using them for other things (like lifting weights, crossfit, intervals, etc.).

With that said, I have both a fitbit and a polar HRM. I find them to be very close in calories for step-based activites (walking, running, jogging). If you are just looking for calories burned during steady state step-based activities, you don't really need a HRM since FitBit already does that for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    2nd the Digifit method - which actually you don't need a Polar HRM strap then either - buy another model for more reasonable price.

The Digifit account will get your VO2max estimate and give very good calorie burn estimates. I know they are relying on public studies on those formulas they use, but Polar does to for some of their stuff, probably making tweaks along the way.
    Actually, one of the public studies was funded by Polar, so you can view the formula they probably tweaked.
    I know I tweaked it to account for better estimate of HRmax and VO2max, and it comes in very close to what the Polar HRM comes up with using the same stats.