Success Story

Options
savethecat
savethecat Posts: 290 Member
gmpstsl7b4yj.jpg

I thought about posting this on the main discussion board, but wasn't sure what sort of responses I would get. I think the sort of progress I've made using MFP may be better appreciated in this group.

In 2009, I weighed over 250lbs. I was completely miserable. Fully aware I was transgender for at least a decade I kept it hidden in any way possible, sharing what I thought at the time to be a horrible secret with virtually no one.

In 2010 I slowly begin losing weight in hopes to better myself. I had tried to bind my chest and disguise my hips in the past but was just way too big for that to be a possibility. It was disheartening to not even be in a position to attempt passing for male. I literally hid myself behind long hair and make-up, hoping no one would ever find out.

I joined MFP in 2011 and eventually realized losing weight was my first step towards transition. If I was going to do it, I had to lose almost 100lbs. I was strict with myself. Working out and monitoring my eating like a madman for a solid year until I was down to 165lbs in 2012.

On New Years Day of 2013 I made a decision. At my lowest weight, but my highest anxiety of my adult life I was ready to come out. Not knowing if I would lose my friends and family, I still knew it was now or never- I was coming out. I cut my hair and began therapy (for the first time in my life). I started hormones in May 2013.

From that moment on it has been one hell of a ride. It's not always easy, but I haven't lost any friends or family members. I am 100% out and am seen as male by strangers, which is an amazing and verifying truth. I feel more like the man I was always supposed to grow into everyday.

With hormone replacement therapy came the anticipated weight gain and unfortunately though I now have the body hair I have lost my size to completely qualify for "otter" status. I weighed around 180lbs at the end of 2014.

The good news is, I'm back and ready to kick *kitten*!

The even better news is, if you're struggling and know weight loss is your first step to transitioning, like it was with me, you can do it.

If I can, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, then you can.

With love and support,
Brandon

Replies

• Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You should post it because you're awesome, but that's the troll in me speaking. ;) I love the :hushed: reactions... Your transition is wonderful!

You're also in good company! One trans man in my group and I often mention weight control issues and the emotional and medical problems of transition. I just updated my MFP profile with my own history and goals.

I lost 45 lbs in 2013 pre-HRT, knowing I needed to lose some to transition healthily. My endo was pretty horrible though. I was on 400 mg spiro a day, which is WAY too much for anyone to take. I couldn't taste salt and craved it like mad... salty foods are usually also high calorie. Besides that, I didn't lose everyone and hopefully I haven't lost anyone permanently, but I had some severe exclusion depression because of family. That's mostly cleared up now, but between that and the medical problems I gained back the 45 lbs I lost.

Now I'm finding it tough to be dedicated to it again. I'm 5'10 and back to 235 lbs. I know I have to sit below 200 lbs to qualify for GRS, so that's my goal for 2016. I also know I can do this because I've done it before. I think balancing some of the rest of my life is also in order... I've started to become habitual again in how I deal with food and it was the anxiety of coming out to my ex that kicked my carbohydrate addiction the first time.

I don't mean to gripe... this is just where I stand right now. Life is anything but easy, but it certainly has gotten much better!
  • ArgyleWerewolf
    ArgyleWerewolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! It sounds like it's been a hard road for you, but you're clearly a tenacious guy. Congratulations on your success. :)