Foods to eat post-op

Options
amylhatch5
amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
I'm having trouble thinking of good food choices. I'm 2 months post-op. I'm tired of eating the same things every day, which means I don't want cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, etc. I still drink my protein shakes, but what else should I be eating that are good choices?

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in this as well as I'm currently pre-op. My biggest hurdles are mentally getting past the idea of drinking shakes for two weeks before surgery and looking for meal plan options post-surgery. If some of you old pros could weigh in, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • ktpie76
    ktpie76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My surgeon is very strict. I was 4 weeks liquids then 4 weeks purees after surgery. Here was what got me through... "I am getting my life back. In the grand scheme of things, what is 2 months?" It really did help...a little. I started getting creative toward the end with seeing exactly what would taste good in puree form. Turns out...french toast? Not so much. LOL. Just stick with it. I was the JELLO queen! I still have a drawer in my kitchen full of the stuff. Look into Iso-pure as well. They make protein drinks that taste kinda like juice. Try freezing your shake in an ice cube or popsicle tray with sticks or freezing your yogurt. It tricks your body when the consistancy is different. I hope that helps.
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    The first couple of months were not so hard for me. It helped that I was forced not to eat certain things. It wasn't like I had to have will power it was a matter of I could hurt myself if I made poor choices. So it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Now I struggle with getting enough protein and vitamins and the water I need.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Youre doing good now...aren't you Amy?!?
    At least better w/ the protein end of things?!?
    I drink Propel zero...mainly w/ my meds because it helps to take the "medicine" taste away but even at times when I want something more than plain H20!
  • drodri3171
    Options
    Good morning everyone. My name is Daly and I had the sleeve done June 30, 2014 and have lost about 75 pounds. The first 2 - 3 months were ok. I had the whole liquid, puree and soft foods down to a science, until I started having problems with certain protein shakes and began to hate eggs. Like Amy, I too am having problems with my protein and water intake. The vitamins not so much since I get the gummy one's and I see them as being my sweets for the day. There are days that I forget to take them, but that's usually once or twice a week. I'm also having problems tolerating certain foods that can help me with the protein intake, I've always had a problem with Whey based shakes, but after the surgery it got worse. Currently the only shake I can tolerate without the allergic reaction is the Atkins Shakes, but I'm getting tired of them, so I can only drink one a day and I have to mix it with cold coffee or water to avoid gagging. The other are eggs. I can't stand the smell or taste of eggs and I used to eat one egg every other day for breakfast prior to the surgery. I've tried omletes, scrambled eggs with other ingredients, hard boiled eggs with light laughing cow wedges and yuck. So I've decided to buy the cookbooks that are out there specifically for people who have had some form of gastric surgery and will begin trying new recipes next week. My best friend had the bypass done about 8 years ago or so and she keeps telling me things will get better after the first year so I just keep telling myself, only a year of discomfort. I rather deal with one year of discomfort than the rest of my life in pain and falling prey to illnesses associated with being over weight. The other plus side to all this, besides the health improvements, is also the fact that I went from a size 24 to a size 12 and am enjoying all my new clothes and the shopping. Oohh the shopping. If I weren't so OCD about sticking to a budget all my money would go towards clothes and of course accessories, but I've learned the hard way to just buy enough to get me through to the next size until my weight loss is stable. My advice, don't go crazy buying clothes the first year cause you'll keep losing and going down in size. I've started donating all my old clothes. Every time I go down a size I have to find someone in the family to whom I can send the old clothes to, or I donate them to the local Goodwill.
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    drodri3171 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone. My name is Daly and I had the sleeve done June 30, 2014 and have lost about 75 pounds. The first 2 - 3 months were ok. I had the whole liquid, puree and soft foods down to a science, until I started having problems with certain protein shakes and began to hate eggs. Like Amy, I too am having problems with my protein and water intake. The vitamins not so much since I get the gummy one's and I see them as being my sweets for the day. There are days that I forget to take them, but that's usually once or twice a week. I'm also having problems tolerating certain foods that can help me with the protein intake, I've always had a problem with Whey based shakes, but after the surgery it got worse. Currently the only shake I can tolerate without the allergic reaction is the Atkins Shakes, but I'm getting tired of them, so I can only drink one a day and I have to mix it with cold coffee or water to avoid gagging. The other are eggs. I can't stand the smell or taste of eggs and I used to eat one egg every other day for breakfast prior to the surgery. I've tried omletes, scrambled eggs with other ingredients, hard boiled eggs with light laughing cow wedges and yuck. So I've decided to buy the cookbooks that are out there specifically for people who have had some form of gastric surgery and will begin trying new recipes next week. My best friend had the bypass done about 8 years ago or so and she keeps telling me things will get better after the first year so I just keep telling myself, only a year of discomfort. I rather deal with one year of discomfort than the rest of my life in pain and falling prey to illnesses associated with being over weight. I went from a size 24 to a size 12 and am enjoying all my new clothes and the shopping. Oohh the shopping. If I weren't so OCD about sticking to a budget all my money would go towards clothes and of course accessories, but I've learned the hard way to just buy enough to get me through to the next size until my weight loss is stable. My advice, don't go crazy buying clothes the first year cause you'll keep losing and going down in size. I've started donating all my old clothes. Every time I go down a size I have to find someone in the family to whom I can send the old clothes to, or I donate them to the local Goodwill.

• amylhatch5
    Options
    amylhatch5 wrote: »
    drodri3171 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone. My name is Daly and I had the sleeve done June 30, 2014 and have lost about 75 pounds. The first 2 - 3 months were ok. I had the whole liquid, puree and soft foods down to a science, until I started having problems with certain protein shakes and began to hate eggs. Like Amy, I too am having problems with my protein and water intake. The vitamins not so much since I get the gummy one's and I see them as being my sweets for the day. There are days that I forget to take them, but that's usually once or twice a week. I'm also having problems tolerating certain foods that can help me with the protein intake, I've always had a problem with Whey based shakes, but after the surgery it got worse. Currently the only shake I can tolerate without the allergic reaction is the Atkins Shakes, but I'm getting tired of them, so I can only drink one a day and I have to mix it with cold coffee or water to avoid gagging. The other are eggs. I can't stand the smell or taste of eggs and I used to eat one egg every other day for breakfast prior to the surgery. I've tried omletes, scrambled eggs with other ingredients, hard boiled eggs with light laughing cow wedges and yuck. So I've decided to buy the cookbooks that are out there specifically for people who have had some form of gastric surgery and will begin trying new recipes next week. My best friend had the bypass done about 8 years ago or so and she keeps telling me things will get better after the first year so I just keep telling myself, only a year of discomfort. I rather deal with one year of discomfort than the rest of my life in pain and falling prey to illnesses associated with being over weight. I went from a size 24 to a size 12 and am enjoying all my new clothes and the shopping. Oohh the shopping. If I weren't so OCD about sticking to a budget all my money would go towards clothes and of course accessories, but I've learned the hard way to just buy enough to get me through to the next size until my weight loss is stable. My advice, don't go crazy buying clothes the first year cause you'll keep losing and going down in size. I've started donating all my old clothes. Every time I go down a size I have to find someone in the family to whom I can send the old clothes to, or I donate them to the local Goodwill.

I went from a size 24 to in between a 16/18 so far. Down 60 lbs. Can't wait to lose more! I have sold my fat clothes on swap sites and buy used for now.

I have noticed a lot more hair falling out when I brush it and am wondering if I should be taking more vitamins? My body prob isnt absorbing all of them. :(

I have been getting a good amount of protein in with premier protein shakes, quest protein chips dipped in tuna, and even protein bars. I try to make protein the priority cause I want to keep my hair! Lol! I'm sure I should be drinking more fluids, but I think I'm doing pretty well overall. :)
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    I gpt
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Youre doing good now...aren't you Amy?!?
    At least better w/ the protein end of things?!?
    I drink Propel zero...mainly w/ my meds because it helps to take the "medicine" taste away but even at times when I want something more than plain H20!

Yes! I got some vitamin zero waters. Zero cals and added vitamins. Helps with the wanting something other than water! :)
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Good for you!
    Keep it up :smile:
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble thinking of good food choices. I'm 2 months post-op. I'm tired of eating the same things every day, which means I don't want cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, etc. I still drink my protein shakes, but what else should I be eating that are good choices?

I will hit the 2-mo post-surgery mark next week. I do either yogurt or eggbeaters scramble for breakfast. For lunch I have 2-3 oz deli meat (turkey, roast beef) or some tuna and some veggies. For an afternoon break I often do Unjury chicken soup, which gives me both liquids and protein. For supper it's some type of meat protein and a side. I've taken to trying out different spices/seasoning for the meat to make it more interesting. If I am short protein for the day I will do a protein shake w/my own flavorings or just a glass of carnation instant milk. Although I was the Queen of Carbs prior to surgery, I am trying to avoid them except for what is in fruit, veggies or dairy.
  • WLloyd16
    WLloyd16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 21 weeks post op. I had my sleeve done 8/14/14. My H.W. 275 S.W. 255 C.W. 192.4 I really haven't had a lot of protein powder since I ran out of what I got at the clinic about 2-4 weeks after my surgery. I do have a big thing of chocolate protein that I got from Walmart, that has 25g of protein, for those emergency days when you know that no matter what you do your not gonna get enough protein in before bed. lol On a typical day I will start off with oatmeal or cereal. I don't mean the sugary stuff. I've been getting the Fiber One Protein and my fav (but I haven't been able to find it at my grocery store any more) Post - Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Chocolatey Almond Crunch. The oatmeal gives me 9g with the milk included and the cereals was giving me 10g with the milk. Lunch I usually grab something that I've had for dinner at one point. I freeze all the good proteins in one serving size portions. Usually anything from chicken to pinto bean soup. Then for dinner I usually have chicken, pork chop, meat. I try to go for meats that will give me 20g and up a serving. There are nights that for whatever reason we get hot dogs or mac-n-cheese and I go for my frozen servings again. I also use beef jerky (Krogers-beef jerky original 12g protein for 80 cals) and yogurt (Krogers lite yogurt 6oz for 80 cals) for when I need a snack because I'm still hungry or get to the end of the day and need a few extra proteins to get to the 60-80g that my doc wants me to do each day. Just some of the things that I do to get the amount of protein in. My dietitian said that I could try to take biotin but that she couldn't say if it would help with hair loss or not. She did say that the one thing I could do was to get my protein in each day because protein is what makes hair happy and healthy.
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    Thanks for your response! My hair is falling out more and more. Ugghhhhh I hope it stops soon. I have been getting enough protein, and I take my vitamins. :(
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    How may calories do you all get in per day? I have read between 800-900 is a good range to stay at. Just wondering what you all do.
  • jacqbult
    Options
    How may calories do you all get in per day? I have read between 800-900 is a good range to stay at. Just wondering what you all do.

That is where I am at. What do you guys lose a week??
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    I'm in my 3rd month. I am down 64 lbs now. Lately, I have only been losing 2-3 pounds a week, which I guess is still better than nothing. The weight loss is definitely slowing down.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Wow Amy!
    You go girl :smiley:
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    Thanks! :)