Have severe chronic pain..ouch++

Options
ricknsmca
ricknsmca Posts: 10 Member
Hello, I would like to join this group. I fully qualify. I had a pretty good walk regimen until 3 weeks ago when my knee replacement went south. Facing the knife again. Sednetary, again. Need help.

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's pretty quiet here. I've also lost my normal activity recently and am praying it's temporary. It sucks!
  • juliehardman
    juliehardman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have not been very active on this group in a long time. I am a chronic pain sufferer of osteoarthritis in both knees and arthritis in my right ankle. I have had reconstructive surgery in my ankle and surgery on each knee for torn meniscus. I also have chronic migraines and am a survivor of MTBI in an auto accident three years ago. I have suffered from major inflammation and burning in my knees over the past several years. This year I made some major changes to my diet. As of August 31, 2014, I started a detox using a product called ClearVite (no I'm not here to advertise this product --- you can do your own research). I starting working with a chiropractor getting adjustments and stimulation from a massage chair to help with neck and back pain. Here are some things I have done that have greatly contributed to the reduction of burning inflammation in my body and thereby helped to reduce pain in my knees and ankle as well as a great amount of weight loss: 1. I cut out gluten. This has been HUGE!! I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat due to the heat coming off my burning inflamed knees. I always felt like someone poured kerosine on my knees. I know I have gluten intolerance because I added gluten back in for two weeks over the Christmas holiday and in a matter of a couple of days I was in agony. 2. I cut out dairy. This also has helped immensely. I did the same experiment over Christmas and added the dairy back in and I felt bloated, miserable, achy. 3. I cut out coffee. I adore coffee. It used to be the very first thing I consumed in the morning. Taking the acid out of my diet has also helped tremendously. I have basically cut out caffeine all together except for the occasional piece of dark chocolate. I drink herbal, caffeine free hot tea with almond milk or rice milk. Yes, I use the word "milk" liberally. I think it's properly called "drink." 4. I cut out pork and red meat. Boy has my digestive system thanked me for that! Again, the bloating, pain, inflammation has been reduced. 5. I started adding Vitamin D. I had lab work done at the order of my chiropractor and was astounded by how low my Vitamin D level was. Adding the Vitamin D has helped with my immune system and reduce pain. I've also added something called MCT oil. Additionally, I try to consume ginger, cinnamon, peppermint capsules; other things known to help with pain, inflammation and digestion. 6. I cut out ALL soda! I haven't had a soda since August 31, 2014, and don't plan to resume. I drink plenty of water every day to hydrate my joints. I actually crave water and make it my drink of choice. I do occasionally enjoy fruit juice in limited amounts.
    By reducing the pain, I was able to move more and by going to the local YMCA and walking in my neighborhood I shed over 40 lbs. as of mid December. I gained 6 pounds by adding all that stuff back in for two weeks while vacationing for Christmas. Needless to say, I got back on track.
    Bottom line...it's hard to exercise when you are in pain. Pain precipitates depression, anxiety, overall dissatisfaction with life. By moving more, I've shed weight off my knees. The American Arthritis Foundation cites, through research, that for every one pound you lose, it is like four pounds of pressure off your knees. So, 40 pounds would be, YES, 160 pounds of pressure off my knees.
    I am a psychotherapist and I work with many chronic pain sufferers. I understand the cycle of pain and how we get in unhealthy patterns. I have a lot of compassion and empathy for anyone trying to navigate life while in constant discomfort.
    I hope you will reach out to me if you are needing a word of encouragement. It really is important to take it one day at a time and be good to yourself by scrutinizing the food and liquids you put in your body.
    My next purchase will be a Vitamix (again not selling this product---just what I am doing ---there are other products). I LOVE juicing and it is such a great way to get all the power-packed nutrients of fruits and vegetables in a drink. I hate kale! But, I find I can have it in a smoothie and never know the difference.
    I wish each of you success and pain relief!
    - Julie
  • secondlast
    Options
    Hi. I'm new being back on MFP. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and walking is like...well you folks know and the severity varies on different days. After over 5 years of this and an extra 45 pounds on an already too heavy body, I finally have insurance. And will get Medicare in June, so I hope to have replacement surgery on one knee in September. I need help in losing all the weight I can (maybe 30-40 pounds) by then.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    OP. That knee going sucks. When I started MFP I was not able to do any exercise at all but decided I still needed to loss the weight any way I could .... Watching what I ate. As I neared my goal I was starting to do walking and upper body workouts. Then 3 weeks into maintenance I fractured my foot. Crap! I was sooo determined that this would be one injury that would not result in a weight gain and I succeeded! On You Tube, there are several sitting workouts and I did do those. The one recommended to me was: http://youtu.be/gghRn_Dkiuo and I really liked that one.
    I hope you knee surgery goes well.
  • Cookylela
    Options
    I am new to this group but definitely belong here as i suffer from chronic migraines,neck, and back pain which make it difficult for me to exercise on a regular basis. I feel like im always at the dr's office and just started at a pain center starting with facet injections but it will be a process of visits and procedures. Im insulin resistant due to having most of my pancreas out which is what caused me to take losing weight seriously as now 50 lbs lighter has helped me to stay off insulin............im now maintaining due to my pain getting more severe. I also suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. I wish all of you well and feel free to add me to support and encourage you as I love to give back
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Gosh do I qualify! I wish I didn't have to but oh how life throws lemons! RA, mixed OA, DDD, Heriated disk, military neck, thyroid disease, gall stone, migraines and it all started with Endometriosis. I'm only 49. Don't feel sorry for me though. With great tribulation comes experience which fosters faith and in faith there is always hope!! Trying biological DMARDS now. Keeping my fingers crossed and dreaming of a happy future. Still need to lose 50lbs but would be ecstatic over 30! Lemonade anyone?
  • Newsordova
    Newsordova Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both knees with no cartilage at all. I have discussed knee replacement surgery, but want to try to lose weight before any of that goes on. I am currently at 316 pounds, based on a love for good food and a sedentary lifestyle, but have dropped 15 pounds in the past three weeks and 24 pounds from my all time high from recording and being aware of my intake. I know it is a small portion of my 100 pound goal, but it has inspired me to climb back on my bike and start to peddle again.

I have used MFP for a couple of years but never from a sustained perspective . A couple of months at a time and then it goes back on the shelf. What that has taught me is, when I record and am aware, I lose weight....when I don't , I gain weight. I have committed to record for the next year and will try and post results.

In the end, while pain is debilitating, we cannot let that become an excuse. There are ways to exercise if we use imagination and creativity. Let's show the world we can do this!!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am the same.. Osteoarthritis in both knees for the last 20 years :( In physical therapy, which has helps the right knee a lot, but not the left. I am still trying to avoid surgery, hence the new try at losing weight (current 249lbs)

This is a GREAT tip. Thanks you . Even short walks kill my knees, so I am going to try this. Thanks!
    bvifun wrote: »
    OP. That knee going sucks. When I started MFP I was not able to do any exercise at all but decided I still needed to loss the weight any way I could .... Watching what I ate. As I neared my goal I was starting to do walking and upper body workouts. Then 3 weeks into maintenance I fractured my foot. Crap! I was sooo determined that this would be one injury that would not result in a weight gain and I succeeded! On You Tube, there are several sitting workouts and I did do those. The one recommended to me was: http://youtu.be/gghRn_Dkiuo and I really liked that one.
    I hope you knee surgery goes well.

• DarMC
    DarMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello to all!
    I am not new to MFP. But as of February started back on a life change.
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, RA, IBS, Migraines amungst other symptoms. I live one day at a time. :) As I believe... we all do!
    I grew up in Las Vegas, NV and reside in Reno, NV.
    Looking for friends in the area or just in general!
    Tried to add a few friends... but it tells me they are private! So please feel free to add me! :)
  • soosew
    soosew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looks like we are all in the same situation. Pain and inability to exercise much. This is my problem. I need to lose weight to have a better quality of life. Add me as a friend if you want to share the journey and the good and bad days. Talking always helps.
  • dbarlipmiller
    dbarlipmiller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi I joined this group when I first started MFP. I was not sure how it worked until now. I have Late stage Lyme disease, lupus, chronic pain,Addison's, migraine, blood sugar issues and the list goes on and on.
    I am on a quest for better overall health.
    As I am sure many of you can relate to this but some of the meds I am on make it harder to lose weight.
    I am looking for friends who can relate and encourage one another.