Sharing your 100 day journey

Options
tatiianag13
tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
I am really enjoying watching people post their 10 day updates. Looking forward to day 20. But I am also wondering if anyone would like to share how they are navigating this 100 day journey. What is your way-of-eating? Basic calorie counting? Clean eating? Juicing? How are you exercising? What things do you think are helping you? What are difficult things you might want to crowd-source some advice for?

I certainly don't want to start sectarian squabbles--no vegans versus paleo please. Everybody has a journey, and wherever they are on that path, it belongs to them. But still--wouldn't it be fun to share?

Replies

• tatiianag13
    Options
    There are tumbleweeds blowing through this group. Anyone here?

Anyway, I will go first and share a little something.

I have been struggling with health problems that have made it hard to exercise. So I splurged and got a rebounder--a bellicon to be specific. I started out doing only 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I've now built up to 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Its not a "magic exercise," but its exercise, its easy on my joints, and I can do it at home. I actually love it. I would encourage anyone out there who is trying to find a gentle exercise to do at home, and who isn't partial to 'workout videos' to consider the rebounder. The bellicon is an investment, so I'm not sure I'd suggest it for your first rebounder. But before my joints became a problem, I had years of enjoyment on a less expensive, but well made rebounder.

But more importantly, I'd encourage anyone out there who is struggling to exercise, for whatever reason, to not give up looking. I kept trying to do the exercise I was use too--interval running, calisthenics, weight-lifting--and my "new body" just kept saying no, no, no! But I had found these after years of 'hating exercise,' so I was loathe to give up something that I had actually come to enjoy. Not only was it demoralizing to always feel sick, it was really demoralizing when the things that use to make you feel better started to make you feel worse. But I didn't give up, and I've found a good place to start. I'm only doing 20 minutes a day of an energizing, but no exactly vigorous form of exercise, and, if the scale is any indication, its been helpful!

• lorrikooten
    lorrikooten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Christmas was not good for me as far as staying on track. But I have made so many changes to my diet prior and now getting back on track that I had not even noticed I had done. I quit drinking soda to save calories and drink a lot of water. I quit eating sweets bc I didn't want to waste calories. I made healthier choices all around! I joined the gym and I have noticed a difference in my time running on elliptical! Its amazing how much better you feel! During Christmas I noticed a big difference when I got off track to how much better I feel when I stay on track and eat better! Can't wait to see what happens during my journey!
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My 100 days journey has not started,christmas season has been bad for my fitness goal coupled with the fact that I relocated to a new town. I did some exercises during the holiday so am hoping it will count for something.

So hoping to get back on the wagon by 1st of January. 20 Day weighing,am pretty sure I added 1kg. Waiting for my scale to arrive.
  • tatiianag13
    Options
    lorrikooten and fejiofor, the new year can be a fresh start for all of us. But I also hear all the positive steps you both have already made. Cutting back on sweets, starting to exercise--it *does* count for something. Even if the scale doesn't move as much as you'd like. Because remember, the scale moves in both directions! Maybe what you've done with those changes is keep it from moving up, or moving up as much as it might have. Or maybe what you've done is cement some small habits that will be a good foundation to build on in the coming months.

Every step in the right direction helps. See you all in the new year!
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    lorrikooten and fejiofor, the new year can be a fresh start for all of us. But I also hear all the positive steps you both have already made. Cutting back on sweets, starting to exercise--it *does* count for something. Even if the scale doesn't move as much as you'd like. Because remember, the scale moves in both directions! Maybe what you've done with those changes is keep it from moving up, or moving up as much as it might have. Or maybe what you've done is cement some small habits that will be a good foundation to build on in the coming months.

Every step in the right direction helps. See you all in the new year!
    Thanks
  • spatchau589
    Options
    Plan is to log, eat or try to eat healthily without it consuming me!!! Cause we will all make mistakes! See improvements in fitness and just be positive!!! My plan isn't to lose a certain amount by the time the 100 days is up but just to see a difference and feel better! Good luck to all on their journey!
  • tatiianag13
    Options
    I did my 20 day weigh in. Not pleased. I have stuck to my plan, but I didn't lose anything. I was disappointed. But I can't let that stop me. I also feel like its important to share when things don't go as planned. I've been on and off MFP for several years. And I see a pattern where the successful people post all the time. And those that struggle will "disappear." They might come back when the struggle is over, but the aspect of day-to-day struggle sometimes gets lost in these forums. (We can see that in this group...look at how many people started and how few of those folks are still posting?) It starts to feel like if you're not 100% successful, that you're the only one. Well--for those who are struggling, you're not the only one. I do have a weight goal for the 100 days, but its a pretty modest one. My primary goal is consistency. To stick to my plan. Regardless of what the scale does or doesn't say.
  • lorrikooten
    Options
    I agree tatiianag13! I was getting pretty down on myself again throughout Christmas and New Years but I am getting more strict on myself. The weight keeps sneaking up on me again. I am doing 30 day shred everyday now and I am still gonna try to go to gym three times a week and eat healthier. I want to see change and feel better overall and get back in excited mode! I want to stay on track and keep logging everyday even if I don't eat as planned I want to stay on the right path which is very important to me!
  • tatiianag13
    Options
    I am just having 0 luck with this scale. It's not quite 30 days for me yet in this challenge, but outside this challenge, its been exactly 8 weeks--56 days. I think I lost 5.5 lbs in 1 week (oddly, not the first one, but the 3rd one. So it wasn't water weight. Who loses water weight on the 3rd week of a diet?). But nothing any other week. If I hadnt' lost anything, I'd think maybe I was doing something systematically wrong. But if what I was doing made me lose almost 6 lbs, then why won't it work again? My body seems to be fighting me every dang step of the way. I have kept to my diet--a pretty stringent one--for every day of these 56 days. I've even given up my vice during this time--no "end of the week" glass of wine for me. Not in 56 days! I went on a very strict diet after a more liberal one failed to work. (Never mind that the more liberal one has worked for me my entire life. That, my friends, is a different story.)

I am about as annoyed as I can be. But you know, I'm still in this. I'm annoyed, but I'm not out of the game. I guess I can be glad I'm not gaining weight. I guess I can find some small consolation in that!
  • lorrikooten
    Options
    Mine went up during Christmas, but I am finally making progress again. I am still trying to find a good calorie goal and trying to motivate myself to exercise. This weather is so depressing. I was eating 1200 calories for this past week but my energy level was very low and I felt hungry. I didn't feel like exercising or anything. I increased my calories just a bit but I think it will help. I am trying to cut out some carbs to help myself and eat healthier to try and see if that helps. I just want to see results. We are the only ones who determines weather we get those results.
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Posting because I'm getting frustrated with myself. I just need to focus and get back on track. I'm finding it harder than I anticipated, which I think adds to my frustration. Mentally I know I just need to relax and keep going, and I will, but for now I'm frustrated and I just needed to express that.
  • lorrikooten
    Options
    This weight loss thing is so tricky. Trying to figure out what works for us. I keep getting down on myself as well. I am so thankful we have this challenge because it does keep me going when I want to give up. We need to stay strong and finish what we started. :) You are doing great Girl!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    @craftymommy‌ - I feel you. I am getting very frustrated with myself as well. Let's get focused and get this done!

@lorrikooten‌ - I am so ready to bust through and be in the 160s! Time to get serious.

@tatiianag13‌ - As far as my approach, I am going to believe that it is all about CI vs. CO (Calories In vs. Calories Out). Everything in moderation - but trying to stay away from my trigger foods - so that I don't overeat!