Fitbit Flex and entering exercise in MFP

Options
fitchy792
fitchy792 Posts: 3 Member
Hello everyone and please please forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else. I have searched on this topic but I don't really see a straightforward answer so I am hoping someone can help, I have had the Fit Bit Flex for a year now. I love it. However, I am wondering if I need to still add in my exercise to MFP? I go to the gym and I typically will warm up with a 10-15 minute walk/run, so I know it is picking up that exercise thru steps. And then I will go into a 30 minute circuit training (Planet Fitness) so I know it is probably capturing my steps from the step up part but probably not capturing my strength training. So should I be entering just the strength training part on MFP or the whole 30 minute of circuit training or not at all? I also am an avid bowler and bowl a couple leagues a week, practice on Friday's (around 10 games) and then tournaments on weekends. I wear my Fit Bit during this too and I know it counts my steps taken when in my approach but should I also be entering the amount of time I spend bowling?? Thank you, thank you, thank you, in advance to anyone that can clear this up for me!!!

Replies

• katana73
    katana73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit for about a month now and from what I have read, with the Fitbit, you should only be entering exercise into MFP and not directly in the Fitbit. Because MFP is not able to calculate calories for weight training exercises individually, I enter all my circuit and weight training under Cardiovascular. I would recommend that you enter your time bowling under Cardiovascular as well to ensure the calories burned are added to your daily total. Hope this helps!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Step based does not need to be manually entered, unless the running or walking was carrying extra weight, or pushing weight, or up steep incline - none of which Fitbit would know about and would underestimate calorie burn.

You can log in Fitbit or MFP, Fitbit has a few more descriptive levels of some exercises.
    And if you have syncing issues, doing it on MFP causes one more synce to be required.

Fitbit calls it Weights, MFP calls it Strength training - and yes it should be entered as the steps seen and used for calorie burn are a far cry from what you are really burning.
    But that's the sets and reps below 15 and rests 1-3 min level of lifting.

If circuit training with short rests and more reps, that's listed on both sites that way. Just note the actual time started, you don't want to replace your good estimate walking time with the circuit workout.

For bowling, despite that long session, I'd imagine the extra effort and calories burned by swinging the ball is not really worth replacing what Fitbit saw with your steps. 15 seconds swinging sets how many times per hour would you say.
  • fitchy792
    fitchy792 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!!! It helps a ton!!!