Looking for an Answer...

Options
MEPQ44
MEPQ44 Posts: 19 Member
I am always struggling with feelings of anxiety and sadness. I have had this issue all of my life. One moment I am really happy, and then I can become really anxious about something, I can also become easily depressed feeling and just cry on and off for a few days. I know a lot of this can be attributed to PMS, or depression( it does get worse when I am ovulating), yet I have a really wonderful life that does not warrant such emotional turmoil, literally there is nothing I should be depressed about or sad about, I have an amazing boyfriend who I have been with for 5 years now, I managed to achieve my Bachelors and Masters degree, and I am working my dream job, while preparing to create my future family!

I just recently read an article that talks about PCO's being the culprit of such crazy emotional struggles. I never knew that PCO's could effect me mentally like it is said to do. I tend to worry too much about small, insignificant things, and cry over petty things, and I KNOW what I am crying over is silly, however, I cannot seem control the sad feelings. This always seems to happen when my Boyfriend is angry at me over something, and my emotions simply get in the way thus making the situation worse, and I end up feeling depressed about the situation for a while, even though in the end we both have discussed the issue and everything is actually fine again.

With your PCO's do you have emotional struggles? if so, how do you go about dealing with them, or learn how to cope? I just hate being so emotional, especially when the things I get overwhelmed and emotional about are always so petty.

I am just looking for some advice, and hoping that I am not alone in this emotional turmoil.

Delete Block

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Depression and anxiety are common co-morbids to PCOS, but aren't necessarily caused by the PCOS (they can be, but don't have to be). Additionally, clinical depression does not always have a cause, and even those with the least "cause" to feel it, do. I do recommend getting screened for clinical depression or anxiety independent of PCOS.

It sounds like your hormones may be an exacerbating factor in it, though. When was the last time you had your hormones checked? That sounds like estrogen dominance and perhaps elevated androgens (the kind of moodiness you describe, which is not uncommon in PCOS is also consistent with PMDD, both of which seem to have the similar underlying causes of estrogen dominance and elevated testosterone).

Are you currently on a hormonal birth control? If you're not and you're willing, or if you already are, it might be worth talking to your doctor about Yaz or one of its cousins (Beyaz, Yasmin, etc). That family of birth control is progesterone-based and includes a mild androgen antagonist, which have been shown to be effective in helping the symptoms you describe.

If you're not willing to try that (and it's okay if you're not), then you might want to look into Inositol and/or Vitex (chasteberry). Both have been shown to help with PCOS. Vitex balances hormones in general, though does have some side effects (it's a medicinal herb, so make sure you talk with a qualified medical practitioner). Inositol is a supplement (technically, it's vitamin B8, but it's considered a "pseudo-vitamin," because a properly functioning body can make what it needs of it), that can help the body balance hormones itself, and has been proven to treat PCOS at lower dosages, and depression/anxiety at higher doses. There are no known side effects, even at high doses, and the only known interaction it has is augmenting lithium's positive effects and reducing its negative side effects.

I've also found that lifestyle plays a huge role in my mental well-being. Eating a whole-foods diet that minimizes grains and is low carb (or at least low-GI/GL), as well as getting a good amount of sunlight and daily activity, are key to my mental wellbeing.

Also, don't beat yourself up when you react over something you feel is "petty." If you're already in the throes of an emotional reaction, allow yourself to feel that way, then let it go. If you can catch yourself before that reaction, try to tell yourself that it's not a big deal -- not in a self-defeating sort of way (ie - "don't be such a baby, it's really not that big a deal"), but in an empowering sort of way (ie - "it's cool, it's just this little thing and you can fix it by doing X"). This takes practice and time, and I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but it can be done.

It's also possible that crying is a stress reliever for you. I'm that way, and I know others who are as well. If you are, too, then acknowledge that. Take ownership of it, and communicate that to your boyfriend and others who are close to you. I've found that I can keep a level head better when I'm in a situation where I can let the water works flow than when I'm in a situation where I feel I have to try to suppress them (in part, because that inevitably fails and then I feel bad or threatened because I failed and feel like I'm "showing weakness" or looking like a child or whatever).

On a final note, you might be interested in reading the blog I have, dedicated primarily to PCOS. Specifically, this entry may be of interest to you. I also have an entry on my primary blog that may be helpful, as well.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just to add my two cents to the fantastic information from Dragonwolf :smiley:

I couldn't handle estrogen based BC, it made me turn into a crazy emotional wreck, but do OK on progesterone based BC. So if you are on BC certainly can be a factor either way.

I've also been doing better since I've started both Inostitol and Vitex, especially the Vitex.

The other thing I try to do is mitigate the items in my life that set me off. If you can identify some of your triggers it's helpful to know what they are, limit them when you can or, just realize that it's a trigger and forgive yourself when those items arise.

Best of luck!
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do, but - and this is hard to talk about - I have plenty of emotional trauma in my life that makes it perfectly plausible. So if PCOS is even complicating that, it would be hard for me to say. :(
  • MEPQ44
    MEPQ44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not currently taking any birth control, my menstrual cycle is pretty regular(once a month),yet not always on the same week or day of the month. however the PMS process seems to never end, it seems like I am PMS-ing all month long every month. I am thinking about taking BC again, however I am not covered on any health insurance at the moment, so it may be to difficult for me to get my hands on some BC or PCO's meds at this moment in time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are a number of pharmacies that have low cost birth controls, as well as a local health department/planned parenthood, if you are stateside. I would perhaps look up the lists for locations near you (sometimes differ by store, etc.) and then see which are the best types ...
  • accodion
    accodion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Birth control is free under the affordable care act, so you're covered there =) Your original post about having a wonderful life and not having anything to be sad about makes me want to give you a hug.

Depression is a mental illness. A valid and legit mental illness. It doesn't care if you're married to Karl Urban and pooping on a solid gold toilet seat. It doesn't care that your life is going well. It just cares about storming through your house and knocking stuff over. It's like something I read on tumblr awhile back. Something along the lines of "Telling a depressed person that they have nothing to be sad about is like telling an asthmatic that there's plenty of air in the room so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to breathe."

I struggle with depression and anxiety too and one of the most helpful steps I ever took was to forgive myself for having these feelings. Forgiveness and then acceptance that this is something I need to handle.

A lot of my emotional struggles come from the fact that I have very little control over this. Accepting that it's a "treat whichever symptoms bother you the most" kind of thing. I get frustrated with my body and feel betrayed by it. I have a thin patch of hair right where my widow's peak is, I get a neckbeard and have to shave a few times a week, I have a tumor in my head (a microprolactinoma on my pituitary gland. I named it Mitchell), I struggle with losing weight, struggle with just feeling like crap in general.

You're not alone in struggling with these issues. It's so amazing that you've reached out for support like this. It helps so much having other people to be like "Aww man, me too. This s*it blows." =)
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    accodion wrote: »
    Birth control is free under the affordable care act, so you're covered there =) Your original post about having a wonderful life and not having anything to be sad about makes me want to give you a hug.

Depression is a mental illness. A valid and legit mental illness. It doesn't care if you're married to Karl Urban and pooping on a solid gold toilet seat. It doesn't care that your life is going well. It just cares about storming through your house and knocking stuff over. It's like something I read on tumblr awhile back. Something along the lines of "Telling a depressed person that they have nothing to be sad about is like telling an asthmatic that there's plenty of air in the room so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to breathe."

I struggle with depression and anxiety too and one of the most helpful steps I ever took was to forgive myself for having these feelings. Forgiveness and then acceptance that this is something I need to handle.

A lot of my emotional struggles come from the fact that I have very little control over this. Accepting that it's a "treat whichever symptoms bother you the most" kind of thing. I get frustrated with my body and feel betrayed by it. I have a thin patch of hair right where my widow's peak is, I get a neckbeard and have to shave a few times a week, I have a tumor in my head (a microprolactinoma on my pituitary gland. I named it Mitchell), I struggle with losing weight, struggle with just feeling like crap in general.

You're not alone in struggling with these issues. It's so amazing that you've reached out for support like this. It helps so much having other people to be like "Aww man, me too. This s*it blows." =)

Love love love this post!
    This *kitten* does blow! Lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I am so happy to read this post. I felt myself smiling and nodding along!!!! And you're right. This crappola does blow!!! **waves at Mitchell - hello**

I think if we could all forgive ourselves a little more and be a little more selfish in the right ways, this world would be a helluva place. Maybe even try to end world peace and all that...

Hugs, Carly
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Maybe even try to end world peace and all that...

Id love to see world peace, not end it LOL :p

• sexymumma2015
    sexymumma2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Have you tried laser for hair removal ? Even I have pcos,thyroid lots n lots of facial hair ....every part of life sucks.....plz can any1 help
  • accodion
    accodion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried laser for hair removal ? Even I have pcos,thyroid lots n lots of facial hair ....every part of life sucks.....plz can any1 help

I haven't tried laser hair removal, but I'm curious about it. It's not something I can afford right now, though =(
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    I've had laser hair removal. On places where I've non-hormonal hair issues it works very well. On my face and chest it does work but more dark hair keeps growing in, so without going regularly it's a bit of a losing battle. :neutral_face:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Yeah, I mean maybe try to create world peace... SIGH The way my brain is lately.
  • Alliwan
    Options

Yeah, I mean maybe try to create world peace... SIGH The way my brain is lately.

LOL its ok. Im behind you 100% if you want to combine our group of PCOS genius into an evil genius empire. >:)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

LOL its ok. Im behind you 100% if you want to combine our group of PCOS genius into an evil genius empire. >:)

What do you want to do tonight, Brain?

Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world!

;)
  • Alliwan
    edited January 2015
    Options

What do you want to do tonight, Brain?

Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world!

;)

LOL i LOVE LOVE LOVE that show! and the animaniacs they originally started on.

And so im not totally derailing the thread, Vitex and Inositol have helped my depression and bipolar tremendously. The vitex has helped the hormones balance out, which helpes all the emotional stuff, and the inositol helps the emotional balance period.

I was pretty up and down all the time, i thought i was starting menopause because of the irritability, depression and anger issues i was having. Vitex and inositol have helped a whole lot!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Interesting. I go back to my endo in April. I'll definitely ask him before that to research the Vitex for me (do not want kids and on BCP). I have though been feeling way more level and far less psycho lately. Likely the inositol...amongst other things...

P.S. Maybe that is part of Brain's problem - he's Inositol deficient? Hormonally imbalanced? ;)