So parched. Dehydration?

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
Anyone else feel dehydrated since starting Stronglifts? I started about a month ago and lately I feel like I am dehydrated. I'm bad about logging my water (or food) but I drink coffee and water all day long. I drink a lot of water at night. I can't seem to get enough. And yet, I often wake up almost choking because my throat is so dry. I'm wondering if it's workout related or something else. Nothing else has changed except my workouts which I've done 2-3x/wk. I'm approaching 100+lbs with deadlift and squats now, definitely pushing hard and doing accessories after my 5x5 workouts. I drink water when I feel thirsty instead of trying to drink a certain amount per day. I don't eat processed food and cook from scratch practically every meal and use minimal salt. What gives?

Replies

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have not experienced this personally that I'm aware of. And I can't say that I drink enough fluids in general.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    may be way off the mark, but there's this thing called sjogrens syndrome it's never affected me much, but my first (undiagnosed) year with rheumatoid arthritis it sent me nearly insane. tldr form is: it hits your salivary glands and your lacrymal glands; you stop being able to produce tears or spit.

genuine dehydration tends to have other system-wide effects and warning signs i'm bad at picking up on, such as a sensation of hunger, and/or peeing in technicolour instead of pale shades. but if your symptoms are mostly just things like having even clean water burn your eyes while you're taking a shower, or a tongue that feels like a dry washcloth no matter how much water you drink, it might be worth looking at this.

also, being iron-deprived or a bit anaemic is something i'm finally realising i can sometimes recognise on my own, by the gross way that it makes my mouth feel.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hope this issue has been resolved by now. Diabetes is another possibility............
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try a sports drink - maybe you're lacking something else like electrolytes. You might also be low on salt (since salt makes you retain water. But just a little bit. Or else it'll just make you thirstier)... I'm not sure of either of those though.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It seems to have been just a temporary thing. I need to up my water intake but lately I feel fine.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing despite having well over a gallon of water every day.

If it's only in the morning it's probably due to the heat system in your house/apartment. Since it's gotten colder I get really dry skin and need to keep a glass of water by my bed because I wake up parched 3-4 times a night. Sometimes it's bad enough I need to get up and go refill the glass because I just chug it down.

One solution is to have a humidifier running. Those things can be noisy and I tend to forget to run mine during the day to try to offset the dryness. Which, now that we're talking about it...
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    That could be it, Krokador. I posted this in November as our heat was really kicking in. We have radiant floor heat. It is lovely, but if you sit on the floor (and I do) it can get too warm. In general I'd say we have a moisture problem in our house already so I am nervous about using a humidifier. It's a cement block mid century modernish house with no AC and minimal insulation. We get condensation on the windows with shades drawn and had mildew in a closet this Summer. Guess I will just have to chug that water! I do take a glass of water to bed at night and frequently have to drink some in the wee hours.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Ugh to the winter dryness. Doesn't make me feel thirsty, though. We have forced air and it dries me up. I've been nosebleed city but the humidifier is helping.
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel dehydrated, especially at night pretty often. I don't think stronglifts made it worse. I try not to drink too much liquids in the evening because then I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. But then I just wake up even more parched than usual. I live in the south with high humidity and with this extra cold weather we've been getting, I feel like I have cotton balls stuffed in my mouth when I wake up. But I think the cold weather is causing my nose to be stuffy thereby forcing me to breath thru my mouth when sleeping. That plus cold air in mouth equals cotton ball mouth. I guess what I'm getting at is, maybe you are a mouth breather at night.