TN -- short for trigeminal neuralgia

This is another condition affecting muscles, nerves, joints and all the restrictions that set perimeters with exercise. I've got it; I've had it for years and it was incorrectly diagnosed and not completely treated; Things are better now. I'm learning to live with TN. I haven't yet figured out where all the boundaries of muscle movement are for me, but I'll get there. Anyone else have TN or some condition where ACCEPTANCE seems to be a real and true hindrance?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    I'm sorry to hear you're suffering with this condition.

I just have the more common issues I mentioned in the group title, but yes, absolutely. I want to imagine I can do the kinds of things I would have done 10 years ago, and I'm envious of those on here who are excited about activities that I will probably never do.

It's very hard to know which movements will cause pain or trigger another injury, so I'm trying very hard to be gentle, when my instincts are always to go hard. Not sure what kind of progress I'll make this way. I'm trying to comfort myself with the notion that at least I'm moving, and hopefully keeping the function I do have. But I panic when I get little twinges - that's how a three-year journey of going from doctor to doctor began. I've had tons of physio which has been helpful, but it's not something I can afford at the moment.

Do you have a good physiotherapist?

• My instinct and desire is always to go hard and fast with exercise too. The days when I could rev up my body and move a plan forward quickly are over but I've recently decided that its okay. After some experimentation with "limited" yoga I've decided to forget it. That's in the past. But, I have found that I can walk! I wasn't sure how that would go so I experimented and I seem to be fine.

You mention twinges. That's interesting because I have something akin to twinges (little electric shocks) that I find tremendously helpful. I used to panic before I understood those tiny shocks are a great warning sign.

I get them in the right side of my face and they're alerting me to an "episode" building. They're the first sign I get. I do pay heed and address the problem before it gets out of hand. I assess what's going on and I either quit what I'm doing or I spend a whole day just resting. Last resort I take a muscle relaxant. If I don't heed the warnings of those little shocks then I'd definitely wind up in physical stress which might take days or weeks to recover.

Re: my physiatrist -- he is competent and the more I know I expect the better he will be able to help me.

I'm motivated. I will learn more and work with my doc.

• PaulaJ500
    PaulaJ500 Posts: 13
    edited December 2014
    Tai Chi?
    A gentle way to fight stress
    Tai chi helps reduce stress and anxiety. And it also helps increase flexibility and balance.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
    If you're looking for a way to reduce stress, consider tai chi (TIE-CHEE). Originally developed for self-defense, tai chi has evolved into a graceful form of exercise that's now used for stress reduction and a variety of other health conditions. Often described as meditation in motion, tai chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements.

(Might have to find a dvd. I live on an island and teachers are hard to find.)
  • I learned more about Tai Chi. Here is the calorie burn.
    "When you are looking for a big calorie burn, tai chi may not come to mind. Although the movements are performed in a slow, controlled manner, the exercise system actually burns a fair number of calories. A 125-pound person burns about 240 calories in an hour session, while a 155-pound person burns 300 and a 185-pound person burns 356. A tai chi session is about the equivalent, in terms of calorie burning, as an hour long walk done at 3.5 mph."
  • I am discussing TN and exercise limitations by myself. But, it is good to get my thoughts down. Tai Chi does not work for TN sufferers. It is a really good exercise though for anyone whose body can handle the concentration and isolation of small muscles. Wow! Wished I could do it.