Two years later...

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
Two years ago yesterday, January 11, my life changed. That was my first consultation with my surgeon's office, and from that very day I made changes to make my life better. I immediately started following everything my surgeon and his team told me to do, starting with logging everything on MFP and starting to exercise. Exercise at 382 lbs was no easy task. I would go to the park and walk, but after just a mile, my feet would KILL me. I was also embarrassed. I didn't let any of that stop me. I knew if I didn't do what I had to do, I might not live. I was slowly able to increase my exercise, and eventually I was up to 45 minutes on the elliptical at the gym. My surgeon wanted me to lose 35 lbs before surgery, which ended up being 9 months from my initial consultation because of my insurance. I lost 70, and he was very happy. I truly believe that making changes and doing a lot of work pre-surgery helped my recovery and helped me be successful. I had minimal pain after surgery - I didn't even have to take the pain meds after I got home. I was up and about quickly and it was an easy transition into the post-surgery diet. I followed my surgeon's plan to the T, and my weight loss has been great! I am down a total of 208 lbs, and I couldn't be happier or feel better. I have a life now that I wasn't sure I would ever be able to have. I just wanted to share this (I know some of you know this story already lol) because I want people to know that this tool is life changing on so many levels. No matter if you have to lose 50 or 100 or over 200 like me, we are lucky to have this tool to be able to get control of our lives back, and it CAN be done. I look back two years and it's like I don't know the old Dale, but she is still definitely part of me. I just take much better care of her now.

Replies

• weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love that you acknowledge the you that used to be and still is, but that you are much kinder to her! Amazing journey, thanks for sharing!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your very encouraging journey. That is an amazing amount of weight to lose in 2 years. I love reading your posts. They are so positive and always leaving me feeling a lot of hope, especially on frustrating days. Thanks for your encouragement and support and for giving us all hope. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies :smile: I just feel like if I share, it might help someone.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Your story is one of courage and inspiration and determination. Words we can all live by. Thanks for modeling the words for us.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You were one of my biggest inspirations here when I started in April of last year. My biggest concern was that post-surgery I would be a zombie, only able to eat a small amount, listless and unable to return to exercise and sports. Your positive attitude, exercise-full life and the energy that comes through your posts helped calm those fears! Thank you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Dale, you inspire me! Not many people on here need to lose 200 or more. I do and you are one of the few I can look to who has done what I am trying so hard to do. If I go all the way to goal, and I haven't decided if I want to go down that far, I will lose 220 pounds. At the very least I will lose 200, putting me at 186. I so appreciate your wisdom, your encouragement and the fact that you keep this real. It's not all wine and roses and your honesty lets us see that too. Your success is awesome! Congratulations!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a wonderful story. :) I so appreciate the encouragment and support you offer me and many others here on the board. <3
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You truly are inspiring!
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    wow! what a great story! thanks for sharing! very inspirational!