Gluten Free Cake and Muffin Advice

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Please pass along any successful gluten free cakes and muffins that you have made.
We have birthdays coming up in February and I need to make some goodies. It would save me a ton of time and money if others could share what they have had the most success with!

My peanut butter cookie recipe is already gluten free so that is already good to go!

I've heard Bob's Red Mill brownie mix is great but haven't yet tried it?

We typically start birthday mornings with muffins, so any great blueberry or cinnamon streusel type muffins? Recipe or mix would work well?!

Cake/Cupcake mix would also be helpful. Looking for somewhat spongy type texture and moist?

Please pass along the best you have tried :)

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've always had really good luck just subbing a gluten free all-purpose flour mix in for normal flour in a recipe. Look for ones that say cup for cup equivalency.

I find that mixing a pudding mix in with any of the gluten free cake mixes, like Betty Crocker, makes them a little moister.

I don't use much Bob's Red Mill for sweet things because they often have bean flour in there which I think gives things an off taste. I like Gluten Free Pantry, King Arthur Gluten Free, and Krusteaz AP gluten free (I can get it in a big bag at Sam's for pretty cheap).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add...Betty Crocker gluten free brownies are better than regular ones in my opinion. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    We don't do cookies or cakes but I do know friends who do and my DH makes great waffles and pancakes using these mixes and flours "Pamela's" Baking Mixes. Website:
    http://www.pamelasproducts.com/
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
    I'll check around for the Betty Crocker mix, don't think I have seen it yet!
    Will check out the Pamela products. .
    I wouldn't mind the trial and error so much if the products didn't cost so much!

Also so many recipes require such an extensive list of flours that it would be quite the undertaking. Not to mention disappointing if we weren't happy with the results. Good to know happy reviews :)
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make my own GF whole grain flour mix, following the GlutenFreeGirl's recipe. It's 3 parts white rice flour and potato starch to 7 parts whole grain flour. You can buy a variety of different whole grain flours from Bob's Red Mill, and then combine them as you desire. I like doing this because it's more interesting, flavor-wise; because we can avoid xanthan gum this way; and because we also try to limit our consumption of rice flour due to concerns about arsenic contamination (the commercial blends are predominantly rice flour.) Of late I like quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat, and oat flours mixed with a bit of white rice flour and potato starch. IF you need more of a binder, you can add ground flax or psyllium husks. You can then use this whole grain blend at a ration of 140 g per 1 c of all purpose wheat flour. It works!
  • kwjager
    Options
    p.s. it is less expensive to blend your own mixture than it is to buy the prepackaged mixes, too!
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Interesting, hadn't thought of mixing my own blend! How do you store this? Fridge, Freezer? Tupperware, Mason Jar?
  • mywindingroad
    mywindingroad Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I/we have a soy intolerance as well and most flours say they are processed in a facility with soy so I can't use them. I grind my own rice flour and use 3 parts rice flour to 1 part corn starch and it usually turns out good.

Bannan Muffins

Dry ingredients
    1.5 cups rice flour
    0.5 cup corn starch
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1.5 tsp cinnamon
    0.5 tsp nutmeg

Wet ingredients
    2 cups mashed bananas
    2/3 cup olive oil

Wisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl. Beat the wet ingredients really good until nice and creamy. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix just enough to incorporate. DON'T over mix. Stir in nuts and/or chocolate chips.

Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.

(These are gluten, dairy, soy, and egg free)

NOTE: edited this to include the sugar. Must not forget the sugar.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used BC's gluten free yellow cake mix to make pineapple upside down cupcakes. Turned out great.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for Pamela's. We made drop biscuits from their biscuit mix and my picky teenage daughter who is NOT gluten free gobbled them right up.
  • slickasawhistlesmaman
    Options
    THESE ARE TO DIE FOR

I have made them many times for parties and they have past every time!!

https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2010/08/shirley-temple-cupcakes.htmlree cupcakes.
  • slickasawhistlesmaman
    Options
    ok not sure why link did not work sorry here is the recipe -Gluten Free Shirley Temple Cupcakes Recipe

Ingredients

Cupcakes
    1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose gluten free flour blend – use divided
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
    ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs, at room temperature
    ½ cup 7-Up, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
    Several drops of gluten-free red food coloring gel

Frosting
    ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 large pinch of Kosher or fine sea salt
    2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
    ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
    12 maraschino cherries, patted dry with paper toweling

Directions

Cupcakes
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper or silicon cupcake liners.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together 1½ cups of the gluten-free flour blend, baking powder and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for two minutes or until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the bowl after each addition. Turn the mixer to low and add half of the flour mixture, then the 7-Up and finally the rest of the flour mixture. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl well to ensure all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Do not be concerned if the batter looks a little curdled.

Take a ½ cup of the batter and put in a small bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour, the maraschino cherry juice and enough red food coloring to turn the batter red. Stir well. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans (about 1 big teaspoon per cup). Gently spoon the remaining batter on top of the red batter trying not to mix the two colors but to keep in layers.

Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are slightly springy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. (The cupcakes will puff up a bit while cooking because of the 7-Up.)

While the cupcakes are cooling, prepared the frosting.

Frosting
    In a mixing bowl of an electric mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and salt on high speed until creamy. Sift in the confectioners’ sugar and mix on low until fully combined. Add the vanilla, lemon juice and maraschino cherry juice. Mix to combine.

Pipe on or frost the cupcakes with the frosting and top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry.

Servings

Makes 12 gluten free cupcakes.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow Slick - thank you. I'm saving these off as Valentines is right around the corner!
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Those cupcakes sound amazing! I think I'm looking forward to a few trial baking sessions :)
  • gxmiller31
    gxmiller31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think the link has "ree" at the end and it should stop after the "html", so it should be https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2010/08/shirley-temple-cupcakes.html

maybe....
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Those look amazing! So going to try them!
  • kwjager
    Options
    I store my homemade GF flour in a big glass jar in the pantry. We go through it quickly, so rancidity hasn't been a problem, but many people store theirs in the fridge.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with a gluten free version of the cake recipe on the back of Hershey's cocoa.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=96550&name=Gluten-Free-HERSHEY'S-"Perfectly-Chocolate"-Chocolate-Cake
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The Namaste Gluten Free Brownie Mix is good. I haven't tried any of their other products (cake mixes, etc)
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes GF Brownie mix is really good too.