"I don't want to go" Doctor Who and other BBC shows leaving Netflix?

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
https://allshowsgreatandsmall.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/netflix-and-what-is-on-the-chopping-black-for-february-2015/

Come Feb. 2015, a bunch of BBC shows are no longer going to be available to view via online streaming on Netflix

■Doctor Who, 7 seasons
■Classic Doctor Who, 18 collections
■Primeval, 5 seasons
■The Catherine Tate Show, 4 seasons
■Robin Hood, 3 seasons
■Copper, 2 seasons
■Torchwood, 4 seasons
■Jekyll, 6 episodes
■Top Gear, 19 seasons
■Wallander, 3 seasons
■Outcasts, 1 season
■The Office (U.K.), 2 seasons

This seems to only be in the US. No clue about other regions like Canada. For some reason, Sherlock isn't on this list. This also happened last year around this time but BBC and Netflix worked out a new deal before the deadline.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's sad.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    That is sad - it's good for Netflix that they're having success with their own series, because they've lost a lot of rights to stuff.
  • Caleb_Daniel
    Caleb_Daniel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thats dumb. I'm only half way through Top Gear. Guess I need ot hurry up.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That is awful, and I had no idea they were doing it. Thank you for both your sad, yet informative post. It looks like there a Netflix binge in my very-near future.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    If I have Doctor Who, Torchwood, Top Gear and Jekell covered - is there anything I should be prioritizing this month? Say...Outcasts? Haven't even heard of it.

• lacroyx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    If I have Doctor Who, Torchwood, Top Gear and Jekell covered - is there anything I should be prioritizing this month? Say...Outcasts? Haven't even heard of it.

No clue on Outcasts but good news! Netflix is in talks with BBC to renew Doctor Who and other shows.

http://thebestofnetflix.com/source-netflix-in-talks-with-bbc-to-renew-dr-who-might-still-be-removed-but-should-return-shortly-after/
    from the link above

" a source close to Netflix has told me that Netflix is in fact in talks with BBC to ensure that even if the show is not renewed immediately come February 1st, the odds are very good that a deal will be reached within months, or perhaps even weeks, following the February deadline. They commented that there is even potential that the deal could prevent any removal at all (a similar thing just happened to Scrubs which was recently extended at least a month). The contract negotiation is likely to be a “BBC package” renewal, so for fans of less popular BBC shows, the odds are fairly good that your shows will return as well."

• SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I knew about Doctor Who leaving, but I didn't realize so many other BBC shows were on the list! Dang!
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My son just discovered the Doctor, so I hope they manage to keep it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Frickin' SHERLOCK :)
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Panic mode over. Latest news is Doctor Who and other BBC shows have been renewed and are not leaving.

http://www.themarysue.com/netflix-keeping-doctor-who/
    who.gif
  • ClaireTonito
    ClaireTonito Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They should never get rid of Doctor Who! Would be a crime against humanity! Glad they have seen sense :smiley:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BBC must've been playing hardball in the negotiations. It's still on Amazon Prime video anyways, so losing Doctor Who would've put Netflix in a bad spot.

Still surprised they let Battlestar Galactica go though.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I watch most of that stuff on Amazon Prime, especially all the Doctor Who seasons. No need for netflix but I can imagine that it would have hurt netflix if they'd lost it and Amazon had it still.