2014 mileage roundup, 2015 goals

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Doing my first full marathon in October this year...did my first half in November. Working on building mileage and I'm following a training schedule by Hal Higdon...any advice from veteran marathoners out there?
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Doing my first full marathon in October this year...did my first half in November. Working on building mileage and I'm following a training schedule by Hal Higdon...any advice from veteran marathoners out there?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »

Since you've got a while to build up base mileage, I humbly suggest that you modify the plan a little. The midweek longer run (builds from 3-10 in the plan)--if you can keep that higher, around 10-12 or so, it will *really* help with endurance towards the end of the race. (Obviously you would need to work up to a point of being able to handle the mileage, but it sounds like you're doing that already.)

Good luck and have fun!
  • MSeel1984
    Options

Since you've got a while to build up base mileage, I humbly suggest that you modify the plan a little. The midweek longer run (builds from 3-10 in the plan)--if you can keep that higher, around 10-12 or so, it will *really* help with endurance towards the end of the race. (Obviously you would need to work up to a point of being able to handle the mileage, but it sounds like you're doing that already.)

Good luck and have fun!

I was at a point last month when running 10 miles was easy-ish for me. With the holidays, that tapered a bit but I think I can get back there.
    Biggest issue is that I work on Wednesdays (my mid-week run) so I'd be stuck either running the dark (would need to invest in some gear if I do that) or run on a treadmill (which has been giving my ankles and knees fits)...
    I think once the days get longer and sunrise is earlier it won't be as big of an issue.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Good luck and have fun!

I was at a point last month when running 10 miles was easy-ish for me. With the holidays, that tapered a bit but I think I can get back there.
    Biggest issue is that I work on Wednesdays (my mid-week run) so I'd be stuck either running the dark (would need to invest in some gear if I do that) or run on a treadmill (which has been giving my ankles and knees fits)...
    I think once the days get longer and sunrise is earlier it won't be as big of an issue.

I vote for the gear, you should have reflective gear and lights anyway since it's possible to run in the dark during the summer.

You can get a vest for like 10$ at Walmart, a light for 10$+ on Amazon

• MSeel1984
    Options
    awesome-thanks!
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1,105 in 2014. Would like to aim for about 1500 in 2015, but really I'm more focused on increasing my base, speed, and completing my first 50K!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I ran 706 miles in 2014 (versus 458 in 2013) and I am aiming for 1,000 miles in 2015. I might not of logged all of my treadmill runs the last two years, but those are close at least. Last year I ran three half marathons and finally hit the sub 2 hour mark. This year I am running another half in March and building a good mileage base while strongly considering doing my first full marathon in the fall if spring training goes well!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    2088 miles in 2014. I haven't thought much about how many miles for 2015 yet. 2500 miles would be nice I guess. I do want to increase elevation and my speed tho.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In 2014 I only logged 370 miles but 90% percent of that came after June 1st. My only real goals for 2015 are to get back to 185 lbs. and run my first sub 2:00 half marathon. That said, I think 1000 miles will be a good number to shoot for.
  • AnnicaJohansson
    AnnicaJohansson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this group. I logged 1411 miles during 2014 and spent quite some time rehabilitating a sprained ankle. The plan is to increase the mileage slightly but carefully. I don't want to ruin yet another season with injuries. I'm planning to finish my second 100km race as well and loose the last 10 kilograms still clinging to my butt (yea, I am confident they're all right there, where I definitely don't want them!).
  • runJIBrun
    runJIBrun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i hit 797 miles in 2014...and that was with a fractured ankle in May that set me back quite a few weeks...im aiming for 1000 in 2015!
  • scarfe9991
    scarfe9991 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I ran 822 miles last year. I am going for 1000 miles for 2015.
  • moritz7588
    moritz7588 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    2670 km for me. My plan this year is my first marathon in October. Still working out what kind of overall distance that will require. Have a few half marathons and olympic triathlons through the spring and summer as well and training will have to support all of those too.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new. I started running "properly" in June 2014. I clocked up 426km for 2014 in that time. I am hoping to do 1000km over 2015. Also this year I am planning to do a 1/2 mara in May. Doing a few 12km fun runs in April and Sept plus I want to do some more trail runs
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started running last May and didn't really keep great track for a while...I also, admittedly, BOMBED from Thanksgiving-Christmas...so, I ended up at 300 miles for 2014. Have a lot more training planned for 2015, so looking at my schedule and taking into account ramping up and recovering from racing, I think that my goal is going to be 850 miles, with the hope that I will actually do more than that.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    1171 for me this year which was just shy of my 1200 mile goal so I added a little for 2015 and will shoot for 1250. Although I did hit my half marathon goal of running 8 in 2014 which was really exciting. Glad I found a group of like minded folks.
  • runsmiles
    Options
    1612 miles run in 2014. (70+ already in first half of January 2015). Goal for 2015 is to improve my speed work and set at least one PR (at any distance) this year.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Only logged 420 miles for 2014, but that was all in the second half of the year (started logging running miles in June and running seriously then). I also ran my first 10K in 2014. My goals this year are to run 900 miles with a reach goal of 1000 miles and to run my first half marathon.
  • jschmiett
    jschmiett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten serious enough about running to track mileage since late last summer so I'm not sure what my total mileage for last year was. I realized during training for the Seattle HM last November that I really enjoy the process of training for a race. I don't know what a good goal for mileage this next year is, but I want to make sure I consistently sign up to have some kind of race to train for.