am I doing this right? trail running

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
morning all,

I hope to do a few trail half marathons this year so am trying to get out at the weekends and up the mountains.

Last week was my first time going up in a few months, I left the music at home, forgot pace etc & tried to focus purely on running ( and not getting lost).

Ok so on ascents short steps, swing arms, engage core, lean foward slightly - I tried that yesterday too but maybe leaning foward too much? my head and shoulders seemed to be very foward...

then coming down - resist the urge to shout with glee, big steps? chin tucked in and try and not go *kitten* over head ( which is something I had done before quite a few times). Its exhausting, and exhilarating.

I know I sound like I am over thinking it and most likely am - I just would like to get a good technique going so that I can get up and down the damn mountains :smile: without being completely puffed.

As ever all advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• tsavage2000
    Options
    I finished my first half marathon which was also a trail race last year. I focused mostly on the ground :) and keeping even steps when the trail allowed. It was beautiful as it was around a lake but there wasn't too much of an elevation change so very different then running in the mountains. I trained mostly on cement but would train off trail if I was going to do it again. It is so much harder on your body running with uneven ground. Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Walk up and activate your glutes while doing so, let gravity help you down.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You might be overthinking it.....I say enjoy yourself. When I run trails, I focus on where to place my feet two or three steps ahead and watching for wildlife ( I love to see wildlife ) I stop frequently to snap a photograph if something catches my eye and don't really concern myself with time or pace.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I loooove trail running! My only advice is to pick your feet up a little more than usual (if you're like me and don't do much high lifting when you run), keep your eyes a few feet ahead of you on the trail to watch for obstacles, and don't worry about hauling *kitten* up those hills... even very slow jogging or fast walking will still burn.
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't overthink it. I found during my first trail half that the majority of runners walked fast up hills. Start slow and work on gaining confidence just navigating the terrain!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would refrain from bounding down the descents with glee. that's the WHOLE FREAKING POINT OF TRAIL RUNNING!!!

ha ha ha, you are WAY over thinking it. if you're not having any pain, problems, etc and you can remain upright, do whatever the freak you want. :P it's not road running, there are no absolutes.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    aldousmom wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you would refrain from bounding down the descents with glee. that's the WHOLE FREAKING POINT OF TRAIL RUNNING!!!

Glee, shouldn't all running be done with glee? We're healthy enough to be out in fresh air. Confident enough that we show off pictures with ugly race face. And we're crazy enough to practice other sports punishment. We ought to be overloaded with glee.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Options
    Proof of my point regarding ugly race face. That is actually a quite gleeful face, at least it was 30 seconds later when I crossed the finish line.fzosuyerzkjr.jpg
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    lol the glee is great its the fact I have gotton carried away with myself before in the past and ended up *kitten* over head on the ground bleeding and cursing :) not very dignified on the plus side I am way more sympathetic to my kids when they fall over - it really does hurt!
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    aldousmom wrote: »

Glee, shouldn't all running be done with glee? We're healthy enough to be out in fresh air. Confident enough that we show off pictures with ugly race face. And we're crazy enough to practice other sports punishment. We ought to be overloaded with glee.

LOVE...THIS....

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Proof of my point regarding ugly race face. That is actually a quite gleeful face, at least it was 30 seconds later when I crossed the finish line.fzosuyerzkjr.jpg

I love your hat!

Thanks for this thread. I'm a road runner, but signed up for a trail half marathon. I haven't done any trail practice sessions yet, and don't know anything about running trails (I didn't realize it was a trail run until after I'd registered). I'm reading intently here... And I'll be paying attention to the ground so I hopefully don't wipe out while running (probably more than I should hope for, since I'm not the most graceful of people). Lol!
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Options
    I've only done one trail race and it was of the 5K variety. It featured running through a recently mown prairie, gravel road, a little asphalt, and some true single track mud trails. I showed up with no clue what the terrain would be. The best advice I would have is to wear decent trail shoes with a rock plate to protect your soles and keep your focus a few strides ahead of you. It is all about being prepared to adjust on the fly and run at a slower pace. I finished my 5K in 36 minutes flat and one week later I ran 29:36 at another 5K. One guy at the trail race can run a 15 minute 5K and the course held him down to just over 20. If you have the chance to scout the course that would be very helpful as well.