working out with groin pain

Options
umekanzah
umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
Have any of you experienced this? I have had this in each pregnancy and i expected it of course but am at a loss as to what workouts i can do without making it worse? It feels better to keep my legs together so squats and lunges are out of the question. Should i just stick to walking? For reference, i am 15+ weeks.

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Look up SPD (Symphsis Pubic Dysfunction). I had that with both of my prior pregnancies and saw a Chiropractor that adjust s the pubic bone to get relief. I got it at 16 weeks with my first, 11 weeks with my second - but this time I'm 27 weeks without any so far! Chiropractic really helps!
  • umekanzah
    umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mormonmomma. I got chiro care with both previous pregnancies but barely got any relief. I haven't tried it this time around so far. My condition has never been identified as SPD although I suspected it was and I was told to wear a maternity belt, do physical therapy, sleep with a pillow between my knees etc. Nothing made it better except delivery. I had finally started feeling better now enough to start working out but now this pain scares me and I want to delay it as much as I possibly can before getting too bad hence I am being a lot more cautious.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! It is such an unbearable pain - and most traditional OBGYN's write it off as "normal pregnancy symptoms". If I were you I'd call a few chiropractors in your area and find someone that specifically adjusts the pubic bone (not to be sexist, but most female chiropractors are very familiar with the adjustment).

Some other things that really helped me:
    -frozen water bottle against the pubic bone
    -sitting on an exercise ball instead of computer chair or couch
    -"cat & cow" yoga poses (on all fours, arching the back up and down)
    -avoiding any leg stretches that separate the knees from eachother

Like you stated, mine went away with delivery both times prior, and the good news is that even though you'll be told it gets worse with each pregnancy - I'm proof that it doesn't always!