YakTrax???

Options
mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
I live in Maryland and the ground has been a frozen sheet of ice for about 2 weeks now...which means I'm running on a treadmill...which means my mind frequently wanders off while running and plots ways to DESTROY the evil person who invented the machine that makes you run without actually getting anywhere and makes 30 minutes feel like 7 hours....I don't think I can take this through March, I NEED to be OUTSIDE!!

So...a running friend suggested YakTrax...but she doesn't actually use them so I am wondering if anyone does...? Tell me what you think of them, are they useful, how does the sizing work, did you run on snow or ice or just frozen ground, trails or paved surfaces, etc, etc...???

I am also open to other suggestions for winter running...I read something about using screws in your shoes, but I am not sure I'm sold on that idea....feel like I would have a mental block against running on screws, I dunno...

Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have yaktraks.
    Haven't used them.

I put 3/8" screws in an older pair of shoes (250mi). I like them.
    Thankfully I take off my shoes upon entering and don't have wood floors since I'm sure the screws would damage the floor.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them but two of my marathon running neighbors do.

They have encouraged me to purchase a pair, but so far this winter, we haven't had as much snow and ice as last year.

They will not give you absolute traction on a sheet of ice (according to them) but for a mixed surface of snow and ice, they swear by them. They tell me that they don't use them on bare paved surfaces and that for most trails that are frozen but without snow and ice (or that are patchy at best), there probably isn't a need for them.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have them, like them and as STrooper said they are good for mixed surfaces. A friend who has had two knee surgeries also uses them. She said that they relieve her anxiety about running on less than ideal surfaces. We run outside all year and use them when the running trail is snowy/icy.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    I have yaktraks.
    Haven't used them.

I put 3/8" screws in an older pair of shoes (250mi). I like them.
    Thankfully I take off my shoes upon entering and don't have wood floors since I'm sure the screws would damage the floor.

i used the screws too. i wore yaktraks for the first 6 miles of a half and they were more annoying than anything so i took them off after the first loop. i don't notice the screws at all and they work really well.

• brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have Yak-Trax and I swear by them. I agree with previous posts that they are not an absolute, but they definitely give you more traction than regular running shoes on the snow and ice. I can't remember exactly how their sizing works because I bought mine awhile ago, but I think you buy the size that fits your shoe range (for instance, I think it says a "Large" is designed for shoe sizes 8-10... or whatever). Mine are rubber so they just stretch over my running shoes and they have a metal coil along the bottom to give more traction. You still have to be careful, but I think they give you a little more peace of mind.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    While I understand the appeal of yaktrax, I've never felt the need for them. Instead I use trail shoes for most of my Winter running. Of course, I do tend to stick to sidewalks and streets for my winter runs. If you're running with proper form, keeping your feet under your center of gravity and not overstriding, traction is less of a problem. For me winter running is more about building endurance than worrying about speed. If you are doing speed work and your city isn't quick about clearing streets I would suggest testing the screw method in an old pair of shoes. It'll be a relatively cheap test to see how it works for you.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have used yaktrax and they are fine, but you can tell they're there so can be a bit irritating. You have to be careful not to tread on any metal drain covers (lethal), but otherwise I've felt pretty safe in them. However, I generally just wear my trail shoes.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input folks...I mainly run trails and all of the trails have really been holding a nice layer of snow and ice so that's what I was thinking of using them for...maybe I would be better to just invest in a pair of trail runners. I'm hitting the running store tonight, so I'll make a decision one way or the other... Maybe I just need to open my mind up to doing more sidewalk/street running until the trails thaw a bit more...it would definitely be better than the treadmill...

Thanks again!
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm in maryland too. I usually run on the c&o canal towpath. It was snowy last weekend but not icy. It was really different running on snow compared to a clear trail. Our sidewalks in our neighborhood were okay, but some were icy. Overall though I ran outside instead of the treadmill. I'm hoping the trail will be clear this weekend.
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kudos to you for being able to take it to the treadmill, the treadmill drives me insane, I just can't do it! It's outside or nothin', so here in snowy WV, I've just learned to deal with it. I thought about buying some YakTrax myself, but after reading some reviews, decided against it. Mostly because people say they can feel them, especially the Running YakTrax with the spikes. I don't particularly want to feel anything below my feet but the trail. I'm going to try the screw thing.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kudos to you for being able to take it to the treadmill, the treadmill drives me insane, I just can't do it! It's outside or nothin', so here in snowy WV, I've just learned to deal with it. I thought about buying some YakTrax myself, but after reading some reviews, decided against it. Mostly because people say they can feel them, especially the Running YakTrax with the spikes. I don't particularly want to feel anything below my feet but the trail. I'm going to try the screw thing.

3/8" screws work.

ETA: I was trying to post the pic from IG of my shoes with the screws, not working. bah
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have used them in the past, but as a weakling I found them very hard to get on my shoes and always had to have my dad do it for me (good job, high school Me!). I haven't used yak traks in ages though; I usually just tough it out and hope people have put salt down, or I too suffer the treadmill (I have found that changing speed or incline every .1 or .2 keeps my mind occupied, but drives the other treadmill users around me NUTS; two birds, one stone! ;)).