Bulking?

Options
VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Hello!

I'm planning my first bulk for when I reach my goal weight and after I get some noob gains (so probably 2-6 months from now, but I'm a bit of a planner and I'm very curious!).

For any woman who's done one, how much of a calorie surplus did you give yourself daily? I thought I read somewhere about 250-400 was ok but I'd like to hear from some of you as to what worked/didn't work.

Did you start by doing trial and error, say starting with 200 for 4 weeks to see how much you gained? Did you find that half of what you gained was muscle when you cut back down or more or less than that?

Any info is useful to me, I've never done this before and would like to know what I'm getting myself into :) I'm thinking a somewhat slow bulk would be best on me mentally, but I don't want to be spinning my wheels and wasting too much time, either.

How long did you normally bulk for - did you have a time goal or a weight goal? Or a lifting goal?

Thanks!

ETA: I'm 26, female, goal weight of 120-125 lbs before starting my bulk depending on how easy/difficult it is for me to get down that low since I don't have a lot muscle mass helping me out just yet.

Replies

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have read that ladies can reasonably only add 1/4lb muscle per week, so I worry if you add much more than 150cals a day you are just going to be adding a lot of fat.
    I have no experience however. I'll try to find some of the links that I have saved for you.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd also see what, if anything, usmcmp has written about bulking. I don't think she's taking friend requests now, but you could PM her. She's super helpful.

And check out the group Eat, Train, Progress to see what they've posted on the topic.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've read that there's not point in a surplus as small as 200. You just end up spinning your wheels.
    I've just given up on bulking. I couldn't manage it mentally, and that's after about 3 months of maintaining. I wish you luck!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Thanks for the resources @crabada. Bulking is an idea with which I've been toying. I want to lean out some more before I do it though.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think Katro also did a bulk / recomp, so she might have some ideas. Though I may have just made that up.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it. I tried bulking for the first time and I'm still fighting to lose that extra 9 pounds I put on. I did BodyBeast workout and loved it but at 56, bulking is not for me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel provided a good bit of insight here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10059081/first-bulk-questions#Item_2

And this MFP post by a pretty experienced bulk/cut guy is a good read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

Sarah (from the Eat, Train, Progress group) and usmcmp are both great resources. I think usmcmp is currently mid-bulk or just started cutting for her next show.

Pwrlftr84 and sardelsa are also two ladies I'm friends with who bulk and cut. Pwrlftr just started her cut. Sardelsa is mid-bulk.

I've also done a bulk/cut cycle. I had decent results (visibly), but I didn't really take measurements then so I can't tell you BF% and LBM changes I had besides that I weigh more now, but I can fit in the same clothes.