Fitbit Charge First Time Setup

Options
JackKopCh
JackKopCh Posts: 8,043 Member
So, I just set up my new Fitbit charge, and it says 0 steps, 0.00 miles but its saying I have burnt over 1500 calories today?? Is that right? Why is this??

Thanks for any answer!

Replies

• Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It takes into account calories you are burning just by being alive. So I think that where tHat number is coming from. I know with me it calculates it at 4 calories a min but for you obviously it will be different as you have different stats then me
  • JackKopCh
    Options
    It takes into account calories you are burning just by being alive. So I think that where tHat number is coming from. I know with me it calculates it at 4 calories a min but for you obviously it will be different as you have different stats then me

Ah I was thinking it would be that!

Another question, how does it put the calories I burn from walking onto my diary on here? Does it do it just automatically?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It doesn't put calories from walking on MFP.

It sends your total daily burn up to whenever it sends it over to MFP. So that includes walking and whatever else you've burned, like the BMR you observed already.

MFP takes that minus what it thought you'd burn based on your selection of activity level.
    That difference is the calorie adjustment. Which may or may not be walking workout steps.

And as long as synced, it will do that automatically.
    On that calorie adjustment on the Exercise diary, there is more info as to what the calories were reported and when. You can look at Fitbit data to see if accurate and you'll know if recent.

• tbrass84
    tbrass84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What if your mfp is connected to fitbit charge hr but mfp shows 0 steps taken with the fitbit
  • JackKopCh
    Options
    tbrass84 wrote: »
    What if your mfp is connected to fitbit charge hr but mfp shows 0 steps taken with the fitbit

This is what I don't understand, I've taken some steps, not many, just a couple hundred around the house, including one floor climbed, yet on my diary it says calorie adjustment is 0, surely if must be something, even if just one calorie.... :/
  • Wantingtolose1
    Options
    It depends how many steps you have taken. I have my fitness pal set to sedentary. I usually see adjustments once I have reached 3000-4000 steps (sorry not sure of the actual number) but I know its around then. Say myfitnesspal thinks you will burn 2000 calories a day. Based on the steps you have done fitbit will then send myfitness pal an estimate on how much calories it thinks you would burn in the day based on the activity you have done at that moment. So if in this example fitbit thinks you will burn 2500 calories throughout the day then you will get an adjustment of 500 calories. As your day goes on your adjustments will change either up or down depending on how your activity changes throughout the day. Hope this makes sense
  • JackKopCh
    Options
    How long does it take to send this to MFP?
    Since putting it on earlier I have 3925 steps, 11 floors and 31 very active minutes yet I have 0 added calories and see no adjustments? It's all been synced etc....
  • tinkerette
    tinkerette Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I used my Charge to log my walk today, but it's not showing in MFP & that was 3 hours ago. MFP shows it has synched since then & so has my Charge. I think there are problems. I have 6210 steps, 2.42 miles, 1181 calories burned, 10 floors climbed showing on my Charge and nothing in MFP. My steps in MFP is set to my Fitbit, so not sure what's going on! MFP is only showing 5099 Fitbit steps.
  • heybales
    Options
    Again - it's not about the steps at all - it's about the calories burned from them.
    - Which steps around the house - not as much compared to running 7 min/mile, right.

Your realize that MFP already estimated what you would burn each day.
    You only get a positive adjustment if Fitbit shows you burned more.
    You get negative - if enabled, when you burn less.

Look at Fitbit total calorie burn.
    Go to MFP exercise and click on the i for more info as to what the reported Fitbit calorie burn was.

The same?

And if this is totally through the apps - expect more delays.
    Do the actual accounts, through the web, show the matching stats?
  • Wantingtolose1
    Options
    If you want to update your steps in my fitness pal u can go to the app press on more and sync it will then sync with fitbit and everything will be updated. Doesn't mean you will get an adjustment though cos this depends on what activity level myfitnesspal is set at and what they estimate your burn will be for the day and what fitbit estimates. As the above poster said click on the info button and it will tell you what they both estimate your burn to be
  • JackKopCh
    Options
    I understand it more now!

I thought it gave you calories when you walk and thats it they stuck! but I've found today on a full day so far of wearing that it gives me calories in my diary but say I rest after a big walk and sit at my desk doing nothing, the calories start dropping as I do less, so you have to move more and consistently to keep those calories up?

Thank you all for trying to explain :) very much appreciated!
  • tinkerette
    tinkerette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After 6 hours yesterday, my steps never changed in MFP from 5099 even though I had over 8000 showing on my dashboad on my Fitbit. MFP showed it had synched and so had Fitbit. I have reported it to MFP. They were having problems several days ago with synch problems.
  • JackKopCh
    Options
    tinkerette wrote: »
    After 6 hours yesterday, my steps never changed in MFP from 5099 even though I had over 8000 showing on my dashboad on my Fitbit. MFP showed it had synched and so had Fitbit. I have reported it to MFP. They were having problems several days ago with synch problems.
    Was it your first day wearing it? Mine was like that also.

But after midnight just gone, a fresh day, it started counting my steps plus adding calories to my MFP diary :)
  • heybales
    Options
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    I understand it more now!

I thought it gave you calories when you walk and thats it they stuck! but I've found today on a full day so far of wearing that it gives me calories in my diary but say I rest after a big walk and sit at my desk doing nothing, the calories start dropping as I do less, so you have to move more and consistently to keep those calories up?

Thank you all for trying to explain :) very much appreciated!

Well, the math is done with that point in time, with assumption rest of the day will be similar.
    So if you did big workout in morning, synced, and then didn't sync until after dinner - the same big calorie adjustment would be showing all day until then.

But if you synced at noon, now Fitbit and then MFP realize you really aren't going to be that active all day. Each sync tells more of a story.

So if you were to do a big walk in morning, and then sit around all day long, you could end up with no positive adjustment - because you only moved as much as average person would at whatever you selected for activity level. it's as if the walk added nothing extra to the day.

So indeed, that's what the device can help do - keep you active all day long.