New to long distance running, signed up for a half

Options
JustSomeEm
JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
Hey y'all!

I signed up for a half marathon at the end of March, and have started training using the Higdon Novice 2 plan. I'm currently running week 3 - might repeat a week or two in there, but thought I'd start a little early in case of injury or illness.

I'm going to peruse the group and see what good advice I can find, but I just thought I'd say hello. :) Based on the little bit I've been able to look around, you guys are amazing in your running knowledge and accomplishments!

Replies

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I like the Higdon plans. I've used Novice 2 a few times now and will use the Intermediate one for my next half. It's not until mid-April so I'll start training in late January. Good luck on your half!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the training!
  • alcarrick
    alcarrick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck - it can work for you and is a good program. I'm doing Hanson program and loving it myself. Main thing is committing to plan and really sticking to it .
  • bestrongbefit1
    bestrongbefit1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am new to long distance running as well. Way to go jumping in like that. i signed up for my first 10 k lol. testing the waters before i take my first plunge into a half marathon. I hope you post about your training and then let us know how the race went!
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    Well, ran 8 miles today, but have been slacking a bit on the short runs. Today's 8 felt good, but my legs are really sore. Probably doesn't help that I spent 6 hours yesterday cutting, lifting, carrying and stacking fire wood for my MIL, so I was already sore. Since I'm nearly a month ahead of schedule for training anyway, I'm going to repeat this past week, so my long run next weekend will be another 8 miler.

Good luck on your 10k. If I had any sense, I would have done a 10k first. Too stubborn for my own good, I think. :)
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am training for one at the end of march as well. I just finished week 2. My long run today was cut a little short by freezing ran though. I ran a half in 2012 and it was a miserable experience because I did not take training seriously. I am not making that same mistake twice.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Well, ran 8 miles today, but have been slacking a bit on the short runs. Today's 8 felt good, but my legs are really sore. Probably doesn't help that I spent 6 hours yesterday cutting, lifting, carrying and stacking fire wood for my MIL, so I was already sore. Since I'm nearly a month ahead of schedule for training anyway, I'm going to repeat this past week, so my long run next weekend will be another 8 miler.

Good luck on your 10k. If I had any sense, I would have done a 10k first. Too stubborn for my own good, I think. :)

Doesn't Higdon have you do a 10k as part of your training schedule? If not, there's no reason why you can't add one in.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome race distance. Good luck with the training and enjoy!
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    mamarundrc wrote: »
    I am training for one at the end of march as well. I just finished week 2. My long run today was cut a little short by freezing ran though. I ran a half in 2012 and it was a miserable experience because I did not take training seriously. I am not making that same mistake twice.

Yeah - I started training as soon as I signed up for the race in case I got sick or hurt and had to take some recovery time. So far, no issues, so I'm way ahead of schedule - which: Yay! I figure if I get there early, I'll just 'maintain' until race day. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »

Doesn't Higdon have you do a 10k as part of your training schedule? If not, there's no reason why you can't add one in.

Very true... I'll have to take a look and see if I can find one in my area for the right time-frame. :) Otherwise, I'll be running one during training run time. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    mamarundrc wrote: »

Yeah - I started training as soon as I signed up for the race in case I got sick or hurt and had to take some recovery time. So far, no issues, so I'm way ahead of schedule - which: Yay! I figure if I get there early, I'll just 'maintain' until race day. :)

It would be wiser to go back to a point that will have you completing the plan at race time. Most plans are designed to have you at a particular level of fitness right at race time. I haven't looked at the Higdon plan in a long time so I'm not sure how it's laid out but ....... there you go.