Just made the decision to do start cutting out glutens -- to see if it helps

Options
TXCruiseGal
TXCruiseGal Posts: 33 Member
Hello all. I just met with my Rheumy this morning and my inflammatory factors are sky high. Apparently it should be under 30 and I'm in the 60s. Not sure what all that means, but it doesn't sound good. So I mentioned I had been reading articles about how gluten intolerance could affect inflammation, and I had been toying with trying cutting back on gluten in my diet. He gave me his blessing and even did some labs on me today, and told me to come back in a month for an update lab panel to see if it's making a difference.

I was diagnosed out of the blue with Lupus about 4 years ago, and then last year, I had the added thrill of being told I also have RA. I'm on all the appropriate biologics for those conditions, but yet my inflammation is not going down. I honestly can't tell you if I feel bad or not, simply because it's been so long since I felt good!

Any advice, resources, etc you can point me to for assistance on making this diet change would be most helpful. I recognize this decision is not one as serious as someone with true gluten issues, such as celiac disease, but I am curious to see if it will make a difference with my autoimmune issues.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you don't think Lupus and RA are not as serious as celiac disease, you'd be wrong there. Just make sure you read every label carefully and don't be tempted to cheat. Give your body a chance to get the inflammation under control and you will be able to see whether it is an issue for you. Here's a useful link although it is Canadian - I'm sure there's a US organization as well. http://www.celiac.ca/
  • mywindingroad
    mywindingroad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My advice is to go 100% gluten free. All or nothing. Just cutting back doesn't work.
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you have a chance speak to a holistic nutritionist - we are fortunate that both our health food stores have one. There are certain vegetables and fruits that cause inflammation. I have worked with people who found eating low GI and eliminating processed sugar and processed food, this includes packaged gluten free products, made a huge difference. Our gym followed a cookbook shown on lowgimeals (on Facebook) - from Kamloops, Canada the USANA products were optional. Hope you find relief.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Lupus and RA are certainly just as serious as celiac. I just want to reiterate - go 100% gluten free. Just an FYI - I also have RA, POTS, and diagnosed celiac. I find grains in general (even gf grains), processed sugar, and alcohol make my RA (and POTS) worse. I can tolerate oatmeal, but as long as I stay away from other grains, I feel well. So even if you don't feel 100% better going GF, don't give up and while it might seem like cutting things out of your diet is tough, it is worth it to feel better! I wish you all the best in your journey!
  • mywindingroad
    mywindingroad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lynn 1982 makes a good point. Don't give up it could be more than one thing. Also, it really is worth it. I never knew I could feel so good (although I don't Lupis or RA). It can be HARD at times. When I am craving and just want to give up I just take it one decision at a time. I tell myself that I just have to make the best decision right here, right now, just this one little decision that is all. I put all my energy into this one little decision and making it right. Most of the time this is in the grocery store when the cookies are calling my name...Sheila...Sheila...we are so good...come eat us.
  • TXCruiseGal
    TXCruiseGal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't mistake my last sentence... I truly believe RA and Lupus are very serious. The point I was trying to make is that I don't have the reactions that someone with celiac disease has when I eat gluten.

I'm just still trying to decipher what I can, and can not have. I would rather eat clean foods than run out and buy every product with a GF label on it. So far, I'm doing okay. I am curious though how long it will take before I notice anything. I have my next lab work scheduled for mid-April, so I'm sure that will tell me if this choice has made a difference.
  • gxmiller31
    gxmiller31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is definitely some variability in WHEN you might feel better. I have heard some folks feel quite a bit better in days to a week, others may take a month. In my particular case, I JUST was battling arthritis and quit gluten, felt MUCH better after a week, continued to improve for maybe 3 or 4 weeks until I felt quite good. Was able to stop eating NSAID's like popcorn, in fact took none for months. But maybe Lupus or RA are more difficult to quell or maybe just removing gluten alone isn't enough. Sugar, nightshades, dairy all MIGHT be contributors.