Question for the women in the group

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
I don't remember seeing this discussed before, but if it has, I apologize.
Prior to surgery, I had a period every 21-28 days like clockwork. In November, my surgery month, I did not have a period which the doctor said was typical due to stress.
I got a period on 12/1. Now I haven't had one since. It is possible I'm skipping because I'm entering menopause, and I'd say it's about time since I'm 54 yrs old. But, I'm wondering if having the VSG through off anyone else's period? If so, how long did it take for it to become normal again?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Surgery, or mainly losing weight, made my cycle crazy. My gyno did tell me weight loss has a big affect on your cycle. The change in hormone levels when you lose weight can really mess things up. I was like clockwork prior to surgery. I actually started the day after surgery while I was in the hospital. For months, I would be super regular, then I would skip a month, then I was super regular for months and then my cycle changed from 28 days to 25 days, then I would skip a month, etc. I am not sure how normal my cycle will be from now on because of my age and losing such a large amount of weight, but I think for the most part, you can expect your cycle to get back to normal. Ask your surgeon or your gyno.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question loriloftness!! I went through my cycle a week or so before surgery, (also Nov), December came on time, and now...I'm a few days late. The app I use to track keeps pinging me - did you forget to enter your period? I was pretty darn regular before hand, and once Dec came on time, I was bummed - I wasn't a lucky once to skip out. But maybe this time?
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't remember seeing this discussed before, but if it has, I apologize.
    Prior to surgery, I had a period every 21-28 days like clockwork. In November, my surgery month, I did not have a period which the doctor said was typical due to stress.
    I got a period on 12/1. Now I haven't had one since. It is possible I'm skipping because I'm entering menopause, and I'd say it's about time since I'm 54 yrs old. But, I'm wondering if having the VSG through off anyone else's period? If so, how long did it take for it to become normal again?

The nurse in me had to chime in here a you are at an age for menopause symptoms to occur. You are also loosening weight stressing your body needs any one or all of these can cause a cessation of meniscus. Low protein and low iron also contribute to the problem. Do talk about this with your Dr. That's what he's/she's there for.
    Randy
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a very regular cycle before surgery, but I have gone 2-3 months without a period for the last 6 months or so. My surgeon said that it's a result of the weight loss, not the surgery. (Estrogen is stored in adipose tissue and is released when losing weight. My doc said it could go either way - extended, frequent periods, or less frequent ones.)
  • loriloftness
    Options
    The nurse in me had to chime in here a you are at an age for menopause symptoms to occur. You are also loosening weight stressing your body needs any one or all of these can cause a cessation of meniscus. Low protein and low iron also contribute to the problem. Do talk about this with your Dr. That's what he's/she's there for.
    Randy[/quote]

Thanks. I would love to think it was menopause, as in my opinion it's past due already. However, I also tick the boxes at losing weight and low iron so who can say. I guess time will tell, but I will be talking to my dr about it in Feb when I have my next check.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a combination to me, menopause and weight loss. I went through "the change" at 51, just stopped, no mood swings, hot flashes, anything. Had the surgery at age 55 and they told me I could "start" again. Nothing. Yes, talk to your doctor, they can scan for where you are hormone wise. Must say, I do love being on the other side of things! Very freeing.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Mine changed.
  • TakeANumber
    TakeANumber Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and was already into the menopause process (skipping months at a time, but still having the occasional cycle) when I had my surgery last July. I had two (!) periods in August, then skipped several months again. The periods I have are very different than pre-surgery (will spare you all the details!). I have noticed that with the sleeve, I get VERY hungry 1 to 2 weeks before. I think there's the potential for some interesting research on this topic...
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My cycle changed it came on the day I left the hospital( it was early) and it was lighter than normal. After that they started coming between 14-21 days. They have mellowed out and are around 21 days now.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mine is now regular for the first time in my life. I have always had problems with my cycle, skipping months or multiple times in a single month. Since surgery is been like clockwork!
  • loriloftness
    Options
    Well, must be the surgery that through me off, because hello period :(
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    So just so you all know you are not alone - I started on Halloween, then didn't start again till Christmas - pretty much a whole month late. Then I started again this month on the 15th. That's 21 days. So I went from my cycle being 60 days or so to 21 days. It's a total crap shoot.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    Just one month out from surgery, but it's running on time and same length..
  • momsnewride
    momsnewride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine hasn't changed one bit and I'm 4 months post op.
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had unexpected spotting post-op despite having an 8 day period the week prior, so I'm convinced my uterus will be messing with me in the future. Oh well, going to start up on my birth control again and am hoping that will help
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Well, must be the surgery that through me off, because hello period :(
    You might still be starting menopause. For me it was very irregular (would skip months at a time) before it stopped altogether. My surgery was years later, so not a factor.