Biggest Loser

Options

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Incredible! I only watched this show once and decided I didn't like their approach. It's all about money for the producers and the sponsors and preying on the desperate hopes of the severely obese.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There are parts about the show I like and parts I don't. I wish there was a way to focus more on the losing weight healthy and not on losing weight at all costs. I do like that the trainers are able to help the contestants see that they are capable of far more activity than they think. Personally, I know that my fear or lack of ambition cause me to limit myself in how I exercise, or how much I exercise because I don't readily want to push myself beyond my comfort zone. I think the premise started out good, but got lost along the way.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I watched 1 episode a long time ago (don't recall which season).
    Thinking maybe this time around I could get into it because that football player was on it, it didn't happen!
    I ended up only watched the 1st episode....I think they can be too critical and harsh.
    Now I read about what really happens...just awful!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have always absolutely HATED that show. HATED it. People have said they found it inspirational-- I did not find it inspiring at all. I have always thought the way they treated contestants was shameful.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I have always absolutely HATED that show. HATED it. People have said they found it inspirational-- I did not find it inspiring at all. I have always thought the way they treated contestants was shameful.

I totally agree with you
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh man...this article was eye-opening. I must admit that I have watched the last 4+ seasons of this show. Before I started the process for WLS, I even auditioned for the show which was probably one of the biggest wastes of time.

I am absolutely appalled by the scenarios described in the article. I'm surprised that no lawsuits have arose out of this. It's pretty sad that I never identified the "fat shaming" myself, but I guess it goes back to my own state of mind: I'm ashamed to be fat.

I do think that this was a really good season for the show. Their was no opportunity for the "game play" that riddled the show in seasons past and one of the new trainers, Jen, was absolutely amazing. I would typically fast forward through the trainer-contestant heart to hearts but not hers. She spoke of changing your life from a place of love instead of fear or anger or hate.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I found it ironic that in light of the negative articles that have been in the press lately about how unhealthy the Biggest Loser weight loss process is, Dr H had the nerve to slam weight loss surgery on the finale last night. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Definitely eye opening.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    The lack of lawsuits may be in part that they were probably required to sign a waiver and a "no tell" if you catch my drift :neutral_face:
  • SweetJulyRoses
    Options
    I found it ironic that in light of the negative articles that have been in the press lately about how unhealthy the Biggest Loser weight loss process is, Dr H had the nerve to slam weight loss surgery on the finale last night. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

I caught that slam too. I totally agree with you. The show is more extreme than WLS surgery and less sustainable in real life. I've never been a fan of the show, but I watched the finale even though I didn't watch season. Never again
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I love how they hype up the audience by having the "winner" run through a pic of their old self.
    I think the show that "we" can relate to for WLS should have something like that :agree: