what's some good protein?

Options
I'm working on eating more fish and finding ways to include beans and lentils in my diet. Hard when the fam doesn't like beans and lentils. Do you all have any ideas on what you are doing? While grabbing a few pieces of deli meat sounds fast and easy, the sodium and chemicals can make me cringe. I can get overwhelmed by it all.

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been overwhelmed too. I've read a lot of tips about adding nuts and nut butters, but I'm supposed to be watching my fat, so I'm not so sure about that one. I intend to make some hummus and see if I like that as a snack. What I have been doing is boiling a dozen eggs every week for quick snacks/breakfasts. To be honest, ultimately, I ordered a new protein powder. My old one had 20g of protein per serving and too many carbs. My new one has 7 carbs and 60g of protein. The last two days have been my highest protein logged days ever! I think, long term, that I can stick with a protein shake a day for breakfast or lunch. We'll see... :D
  • MaggieLoo79
    Options
    I thought of something else I was reading about yesterday! Jerky! Dehydrated meat has high protein but is transportable for snacks on the go. I'm thinking of making some, though I've honestly never liked it. Maybe homemade will be better???
  • kumica
    kumica Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like jerky but it tends to have an extremely high sodium content. Never tried making but would love to hear how it turns out if you do! I'm a sugar and carbaholic...obviously a bad combination! I need to take the time to prep meals...I would be much more successful if I did....that's my new year's resolution!
  • MaggieLoo79
    Options
    I made chicken jerky today and it turned out great! The recipe called for low sodium soy sauce, but I used Worcestershire sauce instead. That took the salt way down, although two pieces still had 9% of my daily salt intake.
  • lucriciadelgado
    lucriciadelgado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Those are some great ideas, thanks! I especially like having the one about the hard boiled eggs. I always have that on my to do list first part of a week and never seem to get it done. My main worry with getting protein from meats is the cholesterol. I"m trying to make sure I don't go over. That's why beans would work so well for me. Hope you all are doing great, let's keep plugging along!
  • lucriciadelgado
    lucriciadelgado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Pinterest a lot for healthy ideas. I'm working on doing a white bean salad for lunches this week. I'm working on getting my protein up too.