Favorite races - bucket list races

Options
Any distance, any location, any surface! Fast courses, HARD courses, great T-shirts, fun crowds, beautiful scenery...

What should I run? What should I *want* to run?

Replies

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My favorite marathons are disney and Rock n roll vegas. Disney is by far my favorite. Starts in the dark, you run through all the parks. It's a very flat/fast course. Tons of stuff to see. Decent crowd support. That being said I've only ran 10 marathins & only 3 were "big" lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run a local race than the Disney runs or Rock and Roll runs.

I dont know about crowd support but I've heard the Sugarloaf marathon at Sugaloaf ski mountain ME has beautiful scenery. Its 1k ft elevation loss over the last 16mi
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's getting me at the moment is trails, as a relatively recent runner people ask about London, Edinburgh and the like but they just don't inspire me. Smaller trail races strike me as more challenging.

I understand that Windermere and Snowdonia Marathons are stunning scenery.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have Boston and the NY marathon on my bucket list. Just signed up for the NY, and I nope to get a guaranteed entry slot.

I enjoyed the Disney marathon, but I think it was not enough water and fuel stations, and St. George marathon was totally amazing! They even had massage stations, it was like being at a spa but at a high cardio vascular rate. ha ha.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a sick and twisted draw to the more extreme/out there races, as such the one currently sitting on the top of my bucket list is the Barkley Marathons. Will I ever make it there?? Who knows.
  • bestrongbefit1
    bestrongbefit1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I loove running our local races. You start to get to know the regular people who do them and build a friendship.

right now top of my list to do is going to be the thanksgiving half marathon here. i havent thought bigger then that yet.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Davenport, Iowa, home of the Bix 7. It is a 7 miler on a simple out and back course but the simplicity disappears at the start as runners stare up the Brady Street hill. Because of it's out and back nature Newton's law must be observed. What goes up, must come down. One day I will return to Davenport to tackle the beast that is the Brady Street hill.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The only race I'm SET on doing is Boston. And I'm gonna get there by qualifying. :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I want to do NY because that would be cool. Other than that I've picked out a couple in different places I just think would be cool, Wineglass in NY, Napa, Honolulu. But my marathon budget is not thousands of dollars.
  • karenfaber
    karenfaber Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I"ve always said I prefer smaller marathons. And I've run some beautiful small marathons. But the absolute best most amazing experience I've had was running Boston last year. And I've heard New York is just as good if not better. So I'm running it this November (just got confirmation of my entry through non guaranteed time qualification this morning). I enjoyed Marine Corps and Disney (the other "big" marathons I've done) but mostly I remember the logistics and crowds. Not so with Boston. Will see with NYCM.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I ran Army Ten Miler in DC in 2012, I'd like to do that again. Got to see some of the sites and run on the highway!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's getting me at the moment is trails, as a relatively recent runner people ask about London, Edinburgh and the like but they just don't inspire me. Smaller trail races strike me as more challenging.

I really want to start doing some trail races. There are fun winter ones here, but I seem to have a conflict with all of them and, anyway, winter. It's on my list to start once the weather gets better and, on a related note, I'd love to do something like the Napa Trail Marathon.

The only marathon I've done (years ago) was Chicago, and I get the appeal of the city ones too, as there's something to look at. I think NYC would be fun. I did a half marathon in Naperville (suburb west of Chicago) this year and it was billing itself as an alternative for those who didn't get into the Chicago marathon (it was both a marathon and a half) and a friend of mine commented "but then you'd have to run a marathon in Naperville," which is true--for me a half marathon can be fun without more, but to manage a whole marathon I need some kind of scenery or distraction.

(No slam on Naperville itself--I kind of fell in love with suburban races this year.)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really want to start doing some trail races.

What I'm considering this year:

May - Ox Half - http://whitestarrunning.co.uk/eventBase.php?eid=2
    July - Dorset Invader Half - http://whitestarrunning.co.uk/eventBase.php?eid=5
    August - Salisbury 54321 Marathon - http://www.salisbury54321.com/
    October - Clarendon Marathon - http://www.clarendon-marathon.co.uk/

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I'm signed up for Snowdon this year - inspired by some of the runners in my club and also the scenery in North Wales.

I did the inaugural Severn Bridge HM last August and have signed up again - the opportunity to run across the bridge on the motorway is great, the rest of the course was through lovely scenery, it had a great medal and the best tech t-shirt I've had from a race.

The other one I've now done twice is the Nos Galan 5k fun run (am hoping I'll be quick enough to qualify for the elite race). Its held New Years Eve night with a celebrity mystery runner, kids races beforehand and a fireworks display. Also get a medal and a t-shirt and its cheap to enter too! A great way to start the evening's celebrations for the atmosphere and novelty rather than the course.

• briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am doing my "bucket list" marathon this April - Big Sur. I am not a marathoner (generally stick to halfs) and thus this will probably be my one and only marathon. It is a local race for me. I keep going back and forth between sheer excitement that I am actually going to do it, and sheer fear that I am actually going to do it!

For halfs I love our local wine country halfs. The Salinas valley half is beautiful and tough. And there are a few in the Sonoma/Healdsburg area that I have done as well. All fairly small with beautiful courses thru vineyards and great wine at the end. Crowd support is minimal (due to geographics of the races). However, the scenery makes up for it.

We are fortunate to have many amazing race options here in California.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running but have never had an interest in running races, EXCEPT...the Athens Classic Marathon from Marathonas to Athens (replicating the ancient run from which marathons take their name). It's a monster hilly race, but so is Athens, where I normally run. If I ever run a race, that'll be the one.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Bucket list for me is NYC, Chicago (I spectated once when I was studying there for a semester and it was darn inspirational), and the Disney Goofy Challenge. I'd love to do other big city marathons, like Berlin or LA. I only really have bucket list races for marathons; I'll do a half marathon just about anywhere even if there aren't that many people running!
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I want to do an ultra, but my bucket list is a super mega ultra cross country thing. I'd really like to run the East Coast Greenway when it's complete. 2900 miles from Maine to Florida, as of now 30% off road. But I have my eye on a 100 miler near Sacramento in November. I have never even run a marathon, but will soon, and think I can do the 100 miler by then.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love the Disney races. I have done the Princess 1/2 marathon three times and I just finished the Star Wars 1/2 this weekend. I just love the supporters. I was sad to hear that Peggy Sue passed away. She was a staple at the Disney Races always at the last mile with sign that said "Hello Complete Stranger...I am proud of you too!" I love the Rock and Roll ones as well.

On my bucket list is the Key West Marathon.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A race I've always admired is Course des Sables / Marathon des Sables - it's 256 kms, in the desert. I'll probably never race it or anything close to it, but I'd love to do support or complete a stage. Or do the cycling version.

http://youtu.be/TFFU2CompcU