Looking for support...

Options
GetWaisted
GetWaisted Posts: 33 Member
I'm 8 months out (4/23/14 was surgery date). I've been stalled for over 3 months now, I've lost a total of 80lbs but my goal weight is 45lbs away. I've set a mini goal of losing 100lbs but I just can't seem to get there. I'm following my plan which is 1200 cals/day, 50 or less carbs a day but the scale is not moving. I was recently given some advice from a fellow vsg'er who told me that I should try cutting my carbs down to 25 or less a day b/c I may be carb sensitive. That's what I'm doing now b/c I'm willing to try any rational suggestions...

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You have 45 lbs to lose to be at goal weight but youre looking to lose 100 :anguished:
    That sounds like a lot.....why so much?
    You don't specify your stats but don't make yourself be at too small of a weight, its not healthy!
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    You have 45 lbs to lose to be at goal weight but youre looking to lose 100 :anguished:
    That sounds like a lot.....why so much?
    You don't specify your stats but don't make yourself be at too small of a weight, its not healthy!
    I've lost 80 but my mini goal is to lose 100 so that's 20 more lbs and then to get to goal I'll need to lose another 25lbs. SW:260 Cw: 177 GW: 140 I'm also 4'11.

• imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to take a week and eat the carbs then try doing the low carb to give yourself a restart. Sometimes the body gets used to what your feeding it and you need to shake it up a little.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    GetWaisted wrote: »
    I'm 8 months out (4/23/14 was surgery date). I've been stalled for over 3 months now, I've lost a total of 80lbs but my goal weight is 45lbs away. I've set a mini goal of losing 100lbs but I just can't seem to get there. I'm following my plan which is 1200 cals/day, 50 or less carbs a day but the scale is not moving. I was recently given some advice from a fellow vsg'er who told me that I should try cutting my carbs down to 25 or less a day b/c I may be carb sensitive. That's what I'm doing now b/c I'm willing to try any rational suggestions...

I seem to be the queen of stalls but I just tried changing things up this week and it is really working! It is a combination of high intensity interval training sets and even though my total workout time has decreased, I am finally seeing movement after weeks and weeks of stalls. Best of luck!!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was in a 2 1/2 week stall, which may not seem long but when it started I was only 5-6 weeks out from surgery. I talked to my dr office and they said to increase my protein. So, for the last 3 days I have made sure to have my protein level at 70g/day or better and surprise, I was down 2 lbs today. I asked my dr office about carbs and they said as long as the carbs are from fruit, dairy or veggies, they don't care how many I get per day. Just my experience so far.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    Thx for all the great advice. I gonna give everything a try! Lol. I'm desperate. I tried the Insanity dvd recently and I really liked it so I'm going to try and find a way to incorporate that workout into my routine. Not sure how I can up my protein w/ out upping my calories too much but I'll have to figure something out...thx again!
  • HindsightBias2009
    HindsightBias2009 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Low-cab protein supplements can be good to up protein. Just be careful what you mix the powdered ones with! (Of course, water adds 0 calories!)

Some examples I've found to be tasty (I haven't tried the unflavored yet, though):

Walmart/Kroger: Atkins Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale Shake: 160 calories, 10g fat, 6g carbs (4g fiber), and 15g protein.

Online (beverlyinternational.com, bodybuilding.com), some gyms, the Vitamin Shoppe: UPM Chocolate protein powder: 120 calories, 3.5g fat, 4g carbs (1g fiber), 20g protein.

Kroger: Jay Robb Whey Protein powder, Tropical Dreamsicle: 110 calories, 0g fat, 1g carbs (0 fiber), 25g protein.

Jayrobb.com: Jay Robb Whey Protein, unflavored powder: 110 calories, 0g fat, 1g carbs (0 fiber), 26g protein.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I like the "mix it up" suggestion-- every once in awhile I have a day or two where I just eat whatever-- I try to not keep my cals at a certain level for too long--- I will have higher and lower days just to keep my body guessing!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I gotcha OP!
    I was thinking you were saying you had 100....like 55 after your 45 and I was like :astonished:

• juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I like the "mix it up" suggestion-- every once in awhile I have a day or two where I just eat whatever-- I try to not keep my cals at a certain level for too long--- I will have higher and lower days just to keep my body guessing!

This for me too.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you like fruity rather than milky drinks, try the Syntrax Nectars line. In particular the grape and apple worked well for me. I had to play with how much water, but now its like drinking koolaid. One scoop is 100 calories with 24g protein and 0 carbs, and I usually do "shots" - 1/4 or 1/2 scoop mixed in 1-2 oz water. Or if I am feeling dehydrated I will make a 20oz water bottle with a whole scoop (add extra water so not so concentrated tasting) and drink that all day instead of water. Kills two birds :)
  • dsm6380
    dsm6380 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    If you like fruity rather than milky drinks, try the Syntrax Nectars line. In particular the grape and apple worked well for me. I had to play with how much water, but now its like drinking koolaid. One scoop is 100 calories with 24g protein and 0 carbs, and I usually do "shots" - 1/4 or 1/2 scoop mixed in 1-2 oz water. Or if I am feeling dehydrated I will make a 20oz water bottle with a whole scoop (add extra water so not so concentrated tasting) and drink that all day instead of water. Kills two birds :)
    -
    Thanks so much for this suggestion aylajane. I'm only 5 1/2 wks out and have already had some stalling issues too. I know my main problem is not getting in enough protein. For my height, I'm supposed to get 90 grams/day which is nearly impossible with the amount of food I can actually eat. I really had trouble with the milky drinks after surgery too. Too much lactose and they just didn't settle right. I tried Isopure which is a little better but I'm going to try the Nectar and see how that works.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    dsm6380 wrote: »
    -
    Thanks so much for this suggestion aylajane. I'm only 5 1/2 wks out and have already had some stalling issues too. I know my main problem is not getting in enough protein. For my height, I'm supposed to get 90 grams/day which is nearly impossible with the amount of food I can actually eat. I really had trouble with the milky drinks after surgery too. Too much lactose and they just didn't settle right. I tried Isopure which is a little better but I'm going to try the Nectar and see how that works.

Call the company (phone number on their website) and ask to order a sample pack - its like 15 dollars for 13 different flavors you can try.

96g of protein is 4 scoops (assuming you eat nothing else all day). If you do 1/4 scoop "shots" in one ounce of water, every hour from 8am to 10pm - 16 shots - you will hit your target no problem. You can drink an ounce every hour! And that is only 400 calories, so you can still eat any other foods you want, or cut back on the shots if you want other types of protein (or just get more protein than recommended - bonus).

• sleevedgirl
    Options
    Have you done the 5 day reset?
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My surgery was 4/28! I just went through a long plateau myself. I tried cutting and restricting but nothing worked. I did a lot of adjusting on my own but none of it worked. I saw my Nut, A good one< and she said I was eating too little Cals and too little carbs. I don't think I would have figured out the new plan on my own. The body is a complex thing and each body/lifestyle is different. I suggest seeing your nutritionist and bringing your food and exercise log along. It really helped me. Plateau is broken.
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    dsm6380 wrote: »
    -

Early on mixing crystal light with protein powder worked for me since I couldn't take the thick shakes at all. Now I do like GNC Lean Shake in Vanilla Bean...
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    Have you done the 5 day reset?
    I think that's the only thing I haven't tried, it just seems like torture...well, I never really looked at what it entails but I have nightmares of going back to all liquids. Lol.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    I ended up saying eff-it this weekend and ate a sandwich w/ one slice of bread and I also had some of my kids crackers w/ cheese and go figure I dropped two lbs when I got on the scale this morning...craaaazy!! I haven't logged it b/c I'm not sure if it's real yet but I'm keeping my finger crossed that I won't gain it right back. Problem w/ this is I won't know until next week b/c I've decided to stay off the scale for the rest of the week and only take my measurements.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgery was 4/28! I just went through a long plateau myself. I tried cutting and restricting but nothing worked. I did a lot of adjusting on my own but none of it worked. I saw my Nut, A good one< and she said I was eating too little Cals and too little carbs. I don't think I would have figured out the new plan on my own. The body is a complex thing and each body/lifestyle is different. I suggest seeing your nutritionist and bringing your food and exercise log along. It really helped me. Plateau is broken.

I had the same issue! I never believed in the "starvation mode" idea until my nutritionist told me that the stall I was in (started at 9 months out and was still going on at my one year check up) was because I was eating too few calories and had put myself into starvation mode. She told me to up calories by 100 per day until the weight loss started again and raised my protein to 70-80 grams a day.

• foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know some wls pts are strictly very low carbs, but I also have found that if I stall too long then I actually eat some carbs a few days it actually stops my stall and ill actually lose a couple pounds that week. Now I definetly dont go overboard because Im sure if i do it too often the scale will go the other way, but every now and then I actually eat some extra carbs usually maybe total of 100/day and I start moving again! But everyone of course is different.